xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Custom Bbcodes Any chances of implementation ?

Hi all,
I believe there are ways to implement custom BBCodes. At least for phpBB they do and you can find a lot of modules at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. Admins - any chances of having some more in here for IPB ? Maybe these modules can be modified a little bit and implemented in this board ?

One very useful bbcode would be a Quote TextBox similar to the Quote and Code with maybe black background and white text - for displaying console input/output text - Would be very handy when writing Linux Tutorials. That way they'd stand out way better and will be easier to understand.

Thanks & Regards

Did You look at the BBCodes that can be used (button right next to the shout box)

Is that any of the stuff you are looking for?

Nils

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya - took a look at all of them.. there's CODE and CODEBOX which might serve the purpose somewhat but the boxes with be titled with "CODE" - now if one of them could somehow be modified to show inverted colors and were to say "CONSOLE" on top - it would make the linu tuts alot easier to follow. Then you KNOW for a fact which part is to be typed in - it'll stand out so hard at you, you can't afford to miss it ;)

Without seriously messing with this board, there's really no easy means to make those types of BBCodes.I had a go with the option of creating Custom BBCodes through the board's control management and it was pathetic, I created the tab bbcode, only to indent text, yet because of the limitations, it never turned out how I really wanted it, which would have been a tag without needing a closing tag and could be used inside other BBCodes without showing up but I settled on what I could only do.The BBCodes that are supplied with the board all come under the BBCode heading, if you look at the codes, you'll notice that maybe the last 6-10 don't, they are Custom and a pretty basic, there's no advanced methods provided, it's all simple HTML turned into BBCodes, that's what we're limited to.MC

Without seriously messing with this board, there's really no easy means to make those types of BBCodes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right. Thanks.. once I can boast some decent knowledge of php I can try come up with some and post the tested version here.. Lets see. I'm still quite new to php even though I'd moderately good at coding.

See, that's funny.

m^e became an Admin and in a week we got a bunch of new bbcode. Thanks a lot m^e.

I can't believe that I stumbled accrossed this post the day after we figured out the table tag.

We now have:

[ HIGHLIGHT]

[ PICFRAME]

[ HR=noshade]

[ TABL] [ TROW] [ TCOL]

A comment tag might be helpful.

Keep up the great work, :)

vujsa

The console one wouldn't be that hard to implement. Just find the [console], replace them with a <div style='console'> and then style the span in the css.As for custom ones I have implemented before; the abbreviation tag was very useful. But got annoying after a while, so instead I searched my text for the abbreviation and replaced it with the relative text. So then if I kept using loads of abbreviations in my text, I wouldn't have to keep defining them. I have also used one similar to the note tag you all got here now, only mine was called MOD, and it only replaced the tag if the user was an admin or moderator, else it just stripped the tags.What I've been trying to do now is allow the actual tags and not just the BBCode. So I can use <b>,<strong>,<i>,<em>,<u> etc without having to remember to put square brackets in. It can be dangerous to do this because there is the obvious flaw that users can type in <b style='font-size: 500px;'> and it would allow that. But I made it so that the system replaces the tags I allow with the BBCode and then strip all HTML tags and then put them back in.