xisto Community
musichere

Ok Linux People, You Win.

you shouldnt comapare GNOM to KDE on looks..the themes can make KDE and GNOME look identicle if you like.you can even get windowsXP themes for KDE and GNOME.copare them on what reeealy sticks out, the design !GNOME is more unix like in its philisophy... No bloat, a program for every task.KDE is lik the MS Windows aproach... more bloated, and heavily integrated. (however you can remove most bloat by only installing KDE companents you want / need)example... in GNOME you have a PDF viewer, an FTP client, a web browser, an image viewer.in KDE you have Konqueror... which is a web browser, a PDF viewer, and IMAGE viewer, and FTP client.... like Internet explorer.

when im in Gnome, there are some kde programs i cannot do without...Apollon !!!! (easily the best p2p program ever)and K3B (dvd / cd burning utility similar to nero)

Mandrake Linux comes with both KDE and GNOME, they're just different styles of Linux appearance, and can be selected in the log in screen. I can't tell you which one is better, it's like whether green or purple is better.

KDE and GNOME are different Desktop envronments

there are screen shots at kde.org and gnome.org
however like i said earlyer, with themes a desktop can look like whatever you like.

its the design thats very different... like i sadi earlyer...

GNOME is more unix like in its philisophy... No bloat, a program for every task.
KDE is lik the MS Windows aproach... more bloated, and heavily integrated. (however you can remove most bloat by only installing KDE companents you want / need)

example... in GNOME you have a PDF viewer, an FTP client, a web browser, an image viewer.
in KDE you have Konqueror... which is a web browser, a PDF viewer, and IMAGE viewer, and FTP client.... like Internet explorer.

install them both, and decide which one your prefere...
generally, newbies prefere KDE, and more experianced users prefere GNOME.

Gnome is much lighter, and will run on slower hardware better than kde.
KDE is more pretty.

see kde-look.org and gnome-look.org for screenshots and themes for the desktops.

OK, I really desperately need help now. I downloaded and installed all the disks of Mandrake 10.1. That was all fine.Now, I can't drag windows. When a window is open there isn't a bar at the top (like in windows) which lets me drag it, and have the minimise, maximise and X buttons in the top right hand corner.This is a pain.Secondly, whenever there is an input field, it won't let me type into it, for this reason, I have come back into my Windows boot to ask for help since I can't type in my internet connection settings into the input field ;) Thanks very much for your help.

lol.... not off to a good start im sorry to hear.fisrt off, after downloading your disks did you run an MD5 check ???when downloading such huge files, its not uncommon for files to become corrupt.right.. how did you get into your graphical mode... is your computer set to automatically go into graphical by default, or did you have to type "startx" ?boot to graphical mode, and hit ctrl+alt+F1 and error messeges on that console ???(hit CTRL+ALT+F7 to get back to graphical mode)im guessing kwindows (the window manager crashed)hit ctrl+Esc (or load KDE-system gueart from the main menu <start menu>)look in the porcess table, is there a porcess called "kwin" running ? open a command line console and run "kwin"what does it say ?now try "kwin --replace"anything ?hopefully we will get an error message that will tell us how to fix it.

Thanks quijibow, but here's the thing.The resolution all of a sudden became extremely weird, and I was having to move the screen twice as much as the original size in every direction to view everything, so I went into the monitor settings, changed it, and my monitor decided that it was 'invalid' and since I couldn't get into linux any more as it blanked out every time I loaded it, I decided to reinstall linux.So I went into Windows, and into Partition Magic, and deleted the Linux partitions. BUT, even though I did that, when the PC boots, there is still the message which asks whether I want linux or windows, which I don't want since I already got rid of Linux. Furthermore, when I put the Mandrake CD1 in (which I think is probably corrupt since I did no checks on it whatsoever ;) ), there is a message which says Uncompress second stage change ramdisk error, check linux kernal problem (?) or something like that. This is NOT going well :P;):P .Well I have promised myself to use Linux, since I hate Windows with the bottom my heart, and I can barely use Notepad without it crashing, so I WILL perservere with this.Please please please help! :P

first thing... never re-install.i could have fixed theresolution problem easy, and whatever went wrong the first time will go wrong the second time (unless it was user error)on the same place you downloaded your cd-iso's there will be files named almost exactly the same but with a .md5 extension, these contains md5 checksum codes.do an md5checksum on your ISO cd's and make sure they match identically.Next....Yep.. did you use Grub or LILO as your boot loader ?the boot loader is installed to your hard disks MBR (master boot record)deleteing partitons will not get rid of it.windows has a program called "fixmbr" which will reset the disks MBR to its factory defaults.also... for quicker answers, have a look at linuxquestions.orgits a forum jam packed with linux guru's.sorry to hear your first experiance was not a good one.but you should expect to come across more porblems as time goes on,linux is trying to be a desktop OS, and its doing exptremely well, but it has strong roots as a server / developers OS.

Thanks for that. I have ordered a 160GB hard drive from ebay, and a Official Linux Mandrake 10.1 DVD, that should solve the problem. Now all I want to do is get rid of all trace of linux from this hard drive and keep it to Windows only. I'm still not sure how to use the MBR thing. Is there a guide anywhere? Thanks ;)

MBR is the secortys of the disk which the bios run.you NEEED a boot loader on your MBR or the disk will not boot.you could configure LILO to boot windows without asking you what you want to boot...but you will need an OS with lilo installed to do this..OR you can use "fixmbr" on your windowsXP disk to do this for you.read about this before i tried linux, but never needed it, so ive not used it first hand.. but its preety simple.boot the XP disk and in rescue more, run fixmbr.not sure of any guides... try microsoft.com

Hi everyone!I used your guide to removing the dual-boot and it worked great, thanks ever so much again ;)!I think one of the reasons my last Mandrake installation went wrong was becuase it didn't load the graphical interface for some reason. I know this is a Mandrake Linux specific question but I was wondering if you know why it loaded it as a DOS mode (or whatever it's called) rather than graphical mode.Thanks