xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
heshu

The Shroud Of Turin Real or fake???

i'm not so sure about this.  From what i've heard Shroud of turin does exist.  N it is placed in Vatican Rome.  Although historians say that it does exist, there's really no image of Christ's face on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, the shroud exists, that is not in question. What IS controvercial is whether or not the image on the shroud is the impression of the historical jesus.

Okay, from my two and a half years as a religion major, here goes. Yes, the Shroud of Turin exists. However, though many claim it to be the shroud of Christ, the common practice for Jewish burial back then was akin to the Egyptian way, in that strips of cloth would be wound around the body many many times until the bidy was fully encased, so as not to be able to smell it, since, according to rabbinical edict, touching a dead body or being near one, especially one that was decomposing (i.e. smelled) would be ground for religious impurity for up to 40 days. Hence the many layers and the incense. So, basically, what I'm saying is that the Shroud MUST be a fake, since to get the imprint of the entire body on one piece of cloth would require them to wrap the body contrary to common practice of the day.

Shroud of TurinThe Shroud Of TurinHe site http://www.photoofjesus.com/ has some compelling arguments regarding the Shroud of Turin being genuine. Regarding the the Vinci Shroud, the site argues that Leonardo the Vinci must have seen the Shroud, and being so impressed with the noble image on the Shroud, that he used the Shroud image as his model. The site also points out that other painters before DaVinci used the shroud as a model for their painting. The site also gives convincing pictures of the Shroud face being superimposed on a painting from the year 550AD to give a perfect match.-reply by George Vakkan

In the sense that the shroud exist that is real no doubt in that fact, but as for the person, its fake. Carbon dating has several times put that cloth in the 12-13th century but because of the Catholic church's stance on science they won't believe regardless what is actual fact. However, because of all the handling and the cutting the pieces to test the shroud it is on the verge of being lost forever and so one of the most revered objects in Christian lore will always be debatable by those who claim its real and those who claim it is just another man.

Its a fakeThe Shroud Of Turin

Its a fake.  The shroud has the image of the European version of Jesus Christ.  Since Jesus was born in the area of Palestine, he should have features of people living in that area and not the features of a European. Look at the old paintings of Jesus from European artists and compare the features with the Shroud. It sure has similar facial features.