xisto Community
lasto i glemyr

Carbon Nanotubes Will they shape the future of computers?

Sorry if this shows up twice; my Tab key went a little crazy... :P Anyway, I don't know if any of you have heard about carbon nanotubes, so here's a brief description.Carbon nanotubes were discovered in the early 1990s by researchers at Rice University in Houston, Texas. They are essentially tube-shaped molecules composed of 60 carbon atoms, and they measure about 1 nanometer in length.These nanotubes exhibit some extraordinary properties that could have many uses. For example, they are extremely conductive, such that they are almost superconducting electricity at room temperature. They also emit electrons when a current is applied to them, making them ideal for super-thin TVs and monitors. In fact, researchers think it is possible to build monitors so small that they can be unrolled like a poster and pinned on a wall.Also, scientists have been successful in making logic gates with them, making them ideal for building computer processors. In fact, nanotubes have several advantages over silicon transistors. Firstly, they are smaller. At the moment, Intel's Pentium IV chip contains about 55 billion silicon transistors. A processor of similar size could contain over a trillion nanotubes; more gates equals more power and speed. Secondly, since they are nearly superconductive, they require a lot less power. This means that they could greatly increase the battery life of portable devices.And finally, the tubes can be used to physically hold hydrogen atoms, which makes them useful in the creation of hydrogen fuel cells.The reason they haven't appeared in markets yet is that they are very expensive; they cost up to $500 per gram. However, SouthWest Nano Technologies is beginning to manufacture them, and their price is expected to fall sharply.So, with all this in mind, do you think that carbon nanotubes are revolutionize the computer and electronics world? Will nanotubes destroy the Era of Silicon and make way for an Era of Carbon? :)

I don't really think they would, even if their price went down. There are a lot of other things like this in the past that didn't effect our technology. But, if the price REALLY (REALLY) went down, it might become popular. Who knows?

Yeah, carbon nanotubes might be the future. Currently we don't know that much about them, but if we are able to manufacture them more easily we probably would find a lot more uses for them. I think they might revolutionize the computer industry if more research is done on them. Carbon nanotubes are also really strong for their weight and could also potentially be used in structural materials. Hopefully we'll learn more about these nanotubes. :D

This might just be the scientific breakthrough! If it can replace so many things, I think it should replace a lot of things... For example, the television, LCD screens, eletrical wires, telephone lines, cables, conductors, maybe lightning rods, and computer chips!If its so conductive, it would serve well for the power generation plants to change their wires to these. If New York was to change all their wires to those of this material, the power used would probably be lesser than half of when it is using the normal wires!The only thing I do not know is whether it is brittle, bendable, flexible and stuff...

Well, the idea is promising. I think if it would be used in computers, the speed possibility would be endless. One quick point to note would be their heat output. I'm only assuming this, but being a superconductor for electricty, wouldn't they superheat as well? That would require high end coolant, most definately liquid. I don't see these in the near future for casual computer user, but the uses for a server computer or a uber fast gaming machine would be spectacular. More uses, not only microchips/processors could be graphics cards, sound cards and other pc cards. I see a definate market to the gaming industry here for whichever console company gets to it the fastest.

Eh, I just posted something that related to this (silicon being obsolete, that is). I agree with everyone else that in order for it to be practical is if it were produced cheaply. You'd probably need some expert in metallurgy or chemistry to find out what the best material would be to make them with (something that doesn't overheat, but is cheap and easy to mine).I'm going to surf the net about these nanotubes, now (this is the first I've heard of them). You've made me curious, which is good. :)

Sounds cool, although the more the hotter they would become? I would hate to have it over heat on me, also the price aint bad for the technology behind it. Pentium 6 here we come! Super fast! lol

Well, the idea is promising. I think if it would be used in computers, the speed possibility would be endless. One quick point to note would be their heat output. I'm only assuming this, but being a superconductor for electricty, wouldn't they superheat as well? That would require high end coolant, most definately liquid. I don't see these in the near future for casual computer user, but the uses for a server computer or a uber fast gaming machine would be spectacular. More uses, not only microchips/processors could be graphics cards, sound cards and other pc cards. I see a definate market to the gaming industry here for whichever console company gets to it the fastest.

Oh right... We did not seem to see the superheating since it is a superconductor... Maybe there could be... 2-5 of the wires leading to the same place, when 1 gets overheated and needs to cool down, it switches to the next, then on and on... By then the first tube should have cooled down!

I still prefer to keep my bets on Quantum Mechanics for computer speed. =)The one scientists have right now makes insanely accurate calculations. In some weird way (well this is Quantum Physics after all, so nothing is really normal!) it is more precise when technically 'turned off' (no jokes)...But carbon nanotubes sound sexy :D

Sorry if this shows up twice; my Tab key went a little crazy... :)
Anyway, I don't know if any of you have heard about carbon nanotubes, so here's a brief description.

Carbon nanotubes were discovered in the early 1990s by researchers at Rice University in Houston, Texas. They are essentially tube-shaped molecules composed of 60 carbon atoms, and they measure about 1 nanometer in length.

These nanotubes exhibit some extraordinary properties that could have many uses. For example, they are extremely conductive, such that they are almost superconducting electricity at room temperature. They also emit electrons when a current is applied to them, making them ideal for super-thin TVs and monitors. In fact, researchers think it is possible to build monitors so small that they can be unrolled like a poster and pinned on a wall.

Also, scientists have been successful in making logic gates with them, making them ideal for building computer processors. In fact, nanotubes have several advantages over silicon transistors. Firstly, they are smaller. At the moment, Intel's Pentium IV chip contains about 55 billion silicon transistors. A processor of similar size could contain over a trillion nanotubes; more gates equals more power and speed. Secondly, since they are nearly superconductive, they require a lot less power. This means that they could greatly increase the battery life of portable devices.

And finally, the tubes can be used to physically hold hydrogen atoms, which makes them useful in the creation of hydrogen fuel cells.

The reason they haven't appeared in markets yet is that they are very expensive; they cost up to $500 per gram. However, SouthWest Nano Technologies is beginning to manufacture them, and their price is expected to fall sharply.

So, with all this in mind, do you think that carbon nanotubes are revolutionize the computer and electronics world? Will nanotubes destroy the Era of Silicon and make way for an Era of Carbon? :)

If the price falls enough, I think they'll revolutionize computers. As for now... The Cell processor will do for me. It's supposed to do wonders for science...

I still prefer to keep my bets on Quantum Mechanics for computer speed. =)The one scientists have right now makes insanely accurate calculations. In some weird way (well this is Quantum Physics after all, so nothing is really normal!) it is more precise when technically 'turned off' (no jokes)...

But carbon nanotubes sound sexy :P

Indeed. But it's all the other nanowhatsits that come with it that scare me. Like the carbon nanocars...

Nanocars
Fullerene four-wheelers

I don't really have high hopes that these sorts of things will revolutionise ANYTHING.

Well, as for quantum mechanics that can affect computer speed it is not that hard to understand. Talking about quantum computers, we have to understand the idea of quantum information. As in classical IT, the elemental bit of information is just bit, that can be either at 0 or 1 state. In quantum information, the elemental portion of information is qubit (quantum bit). The difference is that, the quantum bit can be at 0 or 1 state, but as well at the superposition of both states. It is more or less that it is in both sates at one time. Then quantum register composed of qubits, could be at all possible states in one time. It can lead to parallel computations. Instead of having expotential algorithm complexity, we will obtain linear. Right now, there are already quantum algorithms being developed. Major problems are with the construction of such a computer, because physical representation of quantum states is extremely fragile. Hard to store and to measure.

Uhh, sorry for offtopic :)

This sounds very promising, but so did flash memory. This will probably be very expensive and will never beat out silicon in price. Since these "nanotubes" are rediculously small, they will always be expensive to produce, unless we find some new way of manufacturing rediculously small things in the future. I can see these being used in cell phones and other small devices, but not in home desktop computers. What may happen, though, is that these chips can be put into portable devices and plugged into a computer shell (with memory and ports and stuff) and act as the cpu for it, but this would be a hassle for the average user.Flash memory never replaced hard-drives because hard-drives hold more memory, are cheaper, and already have market share. I think the same thing will happen with these carbon "nanotubes". They may eventually catch on, but not for a long time, at least 10 years in my opinion.