xisto Community
firewire

What Speed And Package U Getting From Your Isp? Is it worth it.

well iam with AOL in the united kingdom. everything is getting upgraded to a higher speed. right now i have 256kps for £18 but soon be 512kps speed. also its UNLIMITED download. its probably the cheapest i found in the UK with free connection fee and modem equipments. probably else where outside the country there will be fast connections with cheaper prices!

When I was back in India - I used to get my connection over cable lines (same as the cable tv lines). Their backbone was 512Kbps split over 100 homes I think. That left us with very little individual bandwidth - but even then it was at least 10 times faster than dialups and on 24/7. Never had to worry abou disconnecion and broken downloads. Hardly needed a download manager plus immense speed gains at night. Price was around INR 600 per month i.e. around $ 15.00 per month....which I believe was quite decent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

512Kbps shared between 100 homes? If everyone was using it at the same time you'd be getting your share of only 5.12Kbps. Now that kind of connection would totally suck, and I think I'd much prefer having a regular dial-up connection at those times. I think you must have your numbers mixed up somewhere, 'cause I know I'd much rather have a 56Kbps steady dial-up connection than having a 5.12Kbps connection. Could you imagine the download speeds you would be getting... something like 0.6Kbps at best. Either you were very lucky and only a small amount of them 100 homes were ever using the connection at the same time, or you have those numbers confused and wrong.

Either that, or I'm completely confused and have it all wrong. Either way, I'm fairly happy with my 1.5 Mb connection.

I have 8M/1M. My download speed is usually 400-1000kB/s. Upload speed is 50-130kB/s.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds awesome man... I wish I could get those speeds here, but those sort of connections aren't even available to us here yet. As far as ADSL goes, the fastest connections available are the 1.5 Mb connections. If you want really fast speeds, you need to get cable, which is a bit more expensive and not available in all areas, and you also never get upload speeds of 50-130 kbps. 1000 kbps download speeds were also VERY rare with cable, so I'm guessing this connection you have is a lot better than the cable services offered here.

Wow, I'm very jealous. Hopefully soon we see ISP's offering these connection speeds.

I have 8M/1M. My download speed is usually 400-1000kB/s. Upload speed is 50-130kB/s.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's quite something. I got a 384kbps ADSL Connection max download is 162kbps(40 on average), max upload is about 300+ kbps. 400-1000kB/s eh? That's quite a nice connection! Suitable for guys like me who downloads movies/apps/games on the net. :P The max that my ISP provides is uhhh 1MB ADSL but it's worth about $370/month because it's a business package. I pay about $41/month and that includes my phoneline(NDD Calls free!) :P My account also includes a free WI-FI service, too bad I don't have a laptop and it would be useless to use WI-FI in my PC since USB connection is better. :P

512Kbps shared between 100 homes? If everyone was using it at the same time you'd be getting your share of only 5.12Kbps. Now that kind of connection would totally suck, and I think I'd much prefer having a regular dial-up connection at those times. I think you must have your numbers mixed up somewhere, 'cause I know I'd much rather have a 56Kbps steady dial-up connection than having a 5.12Kbps connection. Could you imagine the download speeds you would be getting... something like 0.6Kbps at best. Either you were very lucky and only a small amount of them 100 homes were ever using the connection at the same time, or you have those numbers confused and wrong.

Either that, or I'm completely confused and have it all wrong. Either way, I'm fairly happy with my 1.5 Mb connection.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Naah not really.. the figures are all fine. The whole setup worked on the basic assumption that all these homes wouldn't be connected at the same time and/or wouldn't indulge in some heavy downloading all at the same time. Call it a miracle or a stupid assumption turned right - but the damned thing worked pretty good....lol.. I mean I can't complain - coz my computer hardly ever went off and I'd these GB's upon GB's of downloads going on all the time... It was probably me who ate away half the bandwidth they had..lol.. The situations much better now I hear - don't know from first hand experience coz I've been out of India for 4 years now... From what I hear they've upgraded the lines to 3-4 times the original backbone.. So there.. :P

In my country we have several classes of Adsl 100kbps/64kbps 200kbps/64kbps i use 400kbps/128kbps mine cost 50 US dollars but they only guaranty 10% so is expensive and a very bad service , we need more companies because ADSL is a monopoly here and they charge whatever they want , oh i forgot all the plans are unlimited unmetered :)

Maybe I should say 'hi' to Firewire - I'm from Singapore, too. :D I'm currently on the 512Kbs Broadband Unlimited but my current subscription is ending soon and I've been offered by my ISP to upgrade to 1500kbs at a discounted rate, which is about 10 dollars more than what I'm paying at the moment. Alternatively, they also offered the same package at a lower rate but it's for 24 months. I'm thinking of upgrading as the 1500kbs but I'm not sure how much faster it will really be. To those with 1500kbs Broadband, is it worth the extra expense?

Hey, I'm in Ohio too! I use RoadRunner broadband, and it's 100mb per second. It's great, and I haven't heard anyone with typical broadband get speeds as fast as I do. I feel PROUD!!! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have RR in Austin, and I'm getting 3.4 Mbps tonight, with rates up to 5 Megs. My question is, what the ****'s going on in Ohio? Do me a favor. go to speedtests and test your rate. Or if you are on fiber or something else, let me know.

arrgg .. hate u people ! :D

saw all the posts and you people cry for speed ? :D lol here i cry for the damn proxy. Living in an arab country makes it harder to get through a few search sites or technical related sites.

Btw .. i am still on the good ol 512 ADSL, Dosent do much of a harm but i have to pay like 250 Dhs / mth. Thats a lot if u compare US or any other countries rates. Ofcourse we have only 1 ISP ! dont we rock ? ! @##$%$ :D

We apologize the site you are attempting to visit has been blocked due to its content being inconsistent with the religious, cultural, political and moral values of the United Arab Emirates.
If you think this site should not be blocked, please visit the Feedback Form available on our website.

Even if its a forum site some of them are blocked, man .. talk about freedom of speech :D

cheers ..

Dhanesh,Your internet situation is enraging. Freedom of information is the right of every man and woman on this earth. Only through education can we learn lessons from the atrocities humans commit. China and the Middle East are among the most inhibited users. The US has maintained state restrictions in Iraq, which I agree is strategic for the duration of the transition, but afterward is a human rights violation. Stand strong. Technology makes the world smaller; injustice has a shorter duration these days than it use to.