xisto Community
spiritshinobi

Aol Is Overrated

Is AOL overrated  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

AOL is overrated. it is really stupid and there are too many features that no one uses on it. and really they spelled their own bankruptacy because they made AIM avaliable for download because that is the ONE good thing AOL did. and because AOL is wasting space, it is REALLY slow, slower than everything else out there. i dont know why people still use it.

Some of us will never put on a pair of pants without first putting on briefs, but the kids of today thinks that a pair of boxers and their pants halfway down their legs is the way to go. Even to wear a brief under the boxer is asking too much for my son but I will never be caught dead without a brief.At one time AOL was the only internet company some people knew, and it provided them everything they need to know about the internet.Old habits die hard! :)

Well I voted for "Yes", but I'm not sure what your referring too. I think AOL as an ISP is just plain horrible, but as far as AIM goes, well I like it a lot better then MSN Instant Messenger. So I guess over all AOL as a company isn't very good, but there is worse out there.

not only are they overrated but they charge too much, they would probably say its because of all the features you get with them and not say netzero which is half the price, if i abosolutly had to have dial-up to have internet access, i would not use AOL thats for sure. But I have DSL and I wouldn't go back to dial-up unless i couldn't get faster internet, except maybe if i could get dial-up or say direcway which is overly expensive is only like 500Kbps and my DSL is 256Kbsp and direcway is over twice as much as me DSL but it isn't even twice as fast.

i also think that its overrated! i used it for 2 years :P i really regret that! they said that they made for me the best price, but after 2 years when i wanted to avoid the contract, they had to tell me that i paid too much for 1,5 years!! i didnt got my money back!! the only thing what they wanted to give me was a new contract with better conditions :)so my statment about AOL: AOL is incompetent company with a software which is only useable for children at the age of 3 years :)

I'm going to play the devils advocate here because I'm on of the AOL bashers.The one good thing AOL have are the ability for new and causual users to get online and use the (aol version of) internet. This have exposed more people to email and internet. AOL then graduated a few every year, those are the people that take more interrest in the internet and the content / abilities that the internet offers past the flashy AOL portal page.AOL is the kindergarden of internet access, then you go on to internet access with no portal and a M$ computer (high school of internet access). After awhile a few actually graduate and get their bachelors degree of internet surfing with a t1 and Linux computers tweaked so hard your buddy can't even find the on / off button.I don't like AOL but there are a need for AOL to introduce the masses to the joy if internet.Nils

I used to use AOL for internet access and thought it was not that bad. During that time just about everyone I knew also had AOL and AOL used to dominate the ISP business. Its features were originally innovative, with instant messaging, chat rooms, and other options. Now, these features are commonplace and not very unique. With broadband dsl or cable becoming readily available, dial-up is no longer useful. AOL offers AOL for broadband now, but it doesn't make sense to get it and your best bet is probably to just go with your utility company as the ISP. AOL may seem overrated now, but there was once a time when everybody had dial-up and everyone had AOL. Also, if you're just a casual websurfer, as many are, dial-up can be sufficient and a cheaper alternative than broadband.

lol, never really experienced AOL. Never thought of switching over or whatever. Never seemed intriguing enough for me to use. WHat's different in AOL that i normally could not get access to? This is not a rhetorical question...i really don't know =P

I was an AOL user from 1996 until last summer. Actually, I had been using AOL less and less beginning about 4 years ago and had only been keeping my mail account open that I had been using for a long time. For the first few years it was my sole access. After a while I began using other services and AOL became less useful.There was a time in the mid-90's when AOL, even with too few access numbers and buggy software, really served the purposes of an ordinary user. E-mail even a chimp could use, niche chat rooms that really connected people with similar interests, simple instant messaging all made it a great starter package. My favorite service was the member directory that helped me find people into the same music I was into. AOL's web access was ALWAYS buggy but that's because they, for the longest time, wanted you to choose their services first before looking for anything on the web. They marketed themselves as the all-in-one Internet service and tried to create as many in-house alternatives to a lot of things people find on the web. Kind of like, "we have all this great stuff right here in AOL and you don't have to go anywhere else. Oh yeah, you can also get to the world wide web." If anything, they were downplaying the rest of the Internet and hyping their largely flawed extraneous services. The extra stuff all spun out of control for years creating the AOL people know today. Clutter, clutter, clutter. Hundreds of millions of marketing dollars can't turn lackluster services into useful tools.

I think aol is for middle aged housewives,'sorry if that is insulting but it is not meant to beIt has that kind of brand image,the features are sold like being in a club membership, but all the features have always been available elsewhere to those who know how to get them.I find the whole interface and experience from advetising to product extremely annoying and patronising.sorry, just my opinion!!chris

I think aol is for middle aged housewives,'sorry if that is insulting but it is not meant to be

It has that kind of brand image,

the features are sold like being in a club membership, but all the features have always been available elsewhere to those who know how to get them.

I find the whole interface and experience from advetising to product extremely annoying and patronising.

sorry, just my opinion!!

chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL....I don't know how accurately accurate what you said was man... My mom uses AOL all the time!!! She doesn't even know anythign about the internet at all... She doesn't know what a web browser is...She thinks aol is the onmly possible way to surf the net...So we keep aol around just for her...Aol does have some nice features though...But aol is mainly for the people who know the least about the net and are most likely to spend their money on some crazy scam... Thankfully we only pay 3$ a month for aol cuz of my dads work...N it lets us connect through my high speed network ;) instead of that dial up ****... All in all though aol is just another company that thinks flashyness is greatness... WAY WAY WAY to expensive just for dial up to...But they do give it away for free on cds all the time so meh...