xisto Community
kc8yff

What Kind Of Processor Should I Get?

I agree with the empty calorie, but where do you get hold of a PowerPC 970 from? (I'm from Toronto, Canada). I would really want to get a G5 based processor. Yet, for the original poster, if you don't want to get a PPC (RISC-based) processor, I recommend you to get an AMD 64 processor since 64-bit is the way to go currently. 32-bit is becoming an antique technology soon.xboxrulz

Laugh my butt off - the fans jump up and your CPu goes up to 2.4 GHz when you launch Doom 3 huh... hahahaha that's a really funny expression! :P:huh: Man, I think it's time for me to get a new processor / motherboard too!

I have a Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz (5 years ago) and do you think it was a good piece of hardware back then? Because man, LOOK AT THIS::

I WAS USING A 170W POWER SUPPLY FOR 4.5 YEARS UNTIL A COUPLE MONTHS BACK!! - No wonder my computer was shutting off while trying to play games :):P

I am a keen 3d games player and have been trawling the reviews- the one I am going for is the AMD 3800+ x2 Manchester. It has a large cache and sounds very over-clockable too. I'm also going for an nvidia 7800GT. I think the dual cores will offer a bit of headroom as new software takes avanatge of the double speed possibilities.

First of all, buying a processor is like buying a car, better yet, buying a engine for a car.You got to find one that fits "all your processing needs".AMD Sempron or Intel Celeron are design for the entry level computing. Sure, they're fast and can do loads of stuff, but comparing them with a more "serious" processor its like comparing a Mini with a Ferrari. Sempron/Celeron based systems are often used for basic computing needs such as office apps (WORD/EXCEL/...) and little more. When it comes to gaming their performance is not what we would expect from a GHz machine.So, if you only use your PC for Office Apps and internet, Sempron is a better choice than Intel's Celeron any day of the week and twice at sundays ;). On the other hand if you're into gaming and love getting the crispy end out of it... you should really go for a Athlon 64... AMD models are faster, cooler, and cheaper then their Intel counterparts. AMD has 2 usable processing lines for the average gamer: the Dual-Core 64 X2 and the 64-FX (55 & 57). My favorite among these monsters is the 64 X2 4600+, a very balanced option and a good performance/value ratio, but if you want a single core.. the FX57 is still the best out there. For Intel there is a "nice" price tag on their performance processors, in other words they're expensive, and most of the times the extra cash wont deliver that much performance... In my opinior you should go for AMD 64-X2 4600+....But remember that a car isnt engine alone...Graphics play a important role these days so dont forget to suit a graphic card to your needs. Office apps requere little graphic power, games on the other hands are nutz for power. NVIDIA and ATI both have nice GPUs, so take a peek and find what suites you more... aim low if you're computer runs office apps and little more and aim hi if you are a gamer and have loads of money to spend. if you're like me a nice NVIDIA midrange would do fine. Sound is also important, but here is usually your pocket that decides.Good Ram... Fast Ram... GOOD PC... remember that. And use a good amout of it too.Motherboards are like the chassis of a car.... better get a good one than having problems fitting everythinng in. ASUS and MSI are very good...Dont forget the cooler.... because if it gets to hot.... bye bye processor... Thermaltake has some neet and good coolers, and cases btw... and if you like it quiet go for a watter cooling system.Here on, you're pretty much on your own... hard disks, CD / DVD recorders... there pretty much end user choice.... but i'll leave you one advice about this... Hitachi is former IBM so its good, Seagate is not that bad anymore, Western Digital has great hard drives, Maxtor has what used to be Quantum but they're not that good. As for optical drives... LG is a very good choice....if you need some personal advice and need to talk... add skorv@hotmail.com to your msn..."Always" there if you need more help. :D Intel Rules.... since when? :D

I declare this topic dead and closed for two reasons:- Topic was started 23 january and no replies have been seen of the topicstarter.- Topicstarter has last accessed this board on 25 february, so he won't be viewing this anymore.