xisto Community
hast-webben

The Meaning Of Life An philosophy discussion

what happens if the human race really was just a huge mistake, well not mistake but an accident and therefore we have no meaning and guidance. Kinda d epressing thought, but i thoguht i'd just add it anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would you need someone else to tell you your position in life? Make your own. I read somewhere that the higher up you go on the economic ladder the lower belief people tend to have. I look around and this makes complete sense. Look at the rich countries and the poor countries and their difference in faith.

So, we are looking for a meaning for life, so we know what to do, and that our time here was worthwhile. But if there isn't then there are no obligations. It seems that when your obligated to follow parts of your meaning, then you don't climb the economic ladder. Possibly because, higher up the ladder, people have less religous tolerance. Also, most religions practice that you don't need money and power to be happy (that's most likely why.)

So, we are looking for a meaning for life, so we know what to do, and that our time here was worthwhile.  But if there isn't then there are no obligations.  It seems that when your obligated to follow parts of your meaning, then you don't climb the economic ladder. Possibly because, higher up the ladder, people have less religous tolerance. Also, most religions practice that you don't need money and power to be happy (that's most likely why.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not specially religious, but one thing does I know for sure. Money and status doesn't give you the meaning of life, but I can agree about that money is needed for fuel to form your life, and to make it sence. That fact isn't caused of the pure essense of the idea of the sentence "The Meaning Of Life", as the commercially maded meaning of life has been created of others to make more money and not to give the life an meaning. So then do we probably have to look into the causes, like the reason to get birth and the reasons to why we're alive. I think that there is to be found a reason to the most of thinks that happen in our everyday life, but to understand them is just another question. And who had made that decission that this have to be so complicated, and why does it have to be so? The main reason to the life is clear like regeneration, but what more when this had been done? There has to be some more somewhere.

Have a nice weekend

Cheers!

Jens

The meaning of life is to go do something cool, make some cash, get a wife and kid, then grow old and die.

Tell me I'm wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds more like what happens in life. But I don't think the 'meaning of life' involves getting a wife in kid necessarily. Many religious traditions have honored celibacy, so there might be something to that for some.

How does one measure 'doing something cool'? Is it whatever you find cool, or is there a higher 'supreme' standard.

And making cash is only necessary to life. As far as I can tell the pursuit of cash tends towards sapping the meaning to life not making it.

The meaning of life is to go do something cool, make some cash, get a wife and kid, then grow old and die.

Tell me I'm wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fine, your wrong. Why? Because we so far proven that it's undefinable.

BTW I just got the 42 thing.

I can say this. After reading a book entitle 'meaning of life' written by a German guy 50 some years ago (I'll edit his name to here when I remember) I understood everything. It was impossible to repeat any of the knowladge, even to myself, but I knew that for a split-second I understood and that's good enough.

It's like saying that you know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie-pop. If anyone asks for the number, tell them that they know also.

I'm Christian, so here's my philosophy on the meaning of life. According to Christianity, the meaning of life was to maintain a strong relationship with god. (Assuming that you're Christian that is.) God created mankind to have a relationship with them.

Yes, that's absolutely it, to me also. Some then wonder, though, how is a non-physical being lonely? If it had no such emotions, then why are we the consequence of it's creations? I love hypotheticals :)

Oh come on, that's easy! Everyone knows, or at least according to Douglas Adams, that the meaning of life, the universe, and everything is 42! Now, if you can figure out the question, you'd be a genius. But seriously, the meaning of life has puzzled mankind since we were sentient. I believe that when humans make the move into space, we will begin to discover some of these answers. We can view the far reaches of the ever-expanding universe, and catch glimpses of solar systems being born. When (yes, I think in terms of when, not if) we discover other life, we can study it and it's similarities to our own. If the life is similar to our own, perhaps some higher power, whether that be God, the Force, or an advanced alien race. In my opinion, humans need to stop bickering amongst themselves, stop fighting, stop oppressing fellow human beings because of religion, race, or beliefs, and start working together for a common good. The longer we destroy our fellow species, the more our planet wears down, and the more we lead ourselves into extinction.-Kyle

Or it could be a defense mechanism:  When hurt, seek shelter so that you aren't easy prey for predators.  An animal may be sick and think its dying, but may not be(there are plenty of non-fatal temporary diseases out there).  It only makes sense as a universal reaction to being wounded/sick etc. to minimize the chance of death or further injury.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An conclusion about animals inteligense, is just to mention that we (humanbeings) think that we're so inteligent that we can say that we're the only inteligent life on the planet earth. But the fact is that we had used methods to test animals that we think is possible to find inteligense on animals, but we had never made that thought that animals could have their own definition on inteligense. It isn't always like 2+2=4! What if it was 5 instead?. As we don't understand the language of animals don't we have any possibilities to proof if we're the only inteligent beings here. Take an ex like the inteligense of dolphines. We think that we know that they have an higher inteligense, and also that they have their own language. Actually do I think that they, if they could, could learn us much about the meaning of life. Acually do I think that it's much important to have fun instead of making war all the time as we humanbeings do. (And war hasn't much to do with inteligense to do for me)

Keep thinking...:-)

Cheers!

Jens

I don't have the slightest idea of what is the meaning of life, but I think Christian's meaning of life is absolutely stupid and pointless.They say that you come to this world to see if you are worthy of being to hell of to heaven. BUT God knows everything, even if one person is worth being in hell or in heaven, so why tha hell are we here?Also, my sister (who is christian) tells me that god sometimes puts us tests. Example, you are in the street and have little money for going home and there is a poor needed person begging you for money, if you give him the money, then you get some good points with god, but since he knows everything, why did he put me a test if he already knew what I was going to do?For me, christianism is fuuuuuuuull of holes and nonsense.

What if I said that life has nothign to do with religion at all?

Meaning of life? To mature, reproduce, and pass one one's genetic data.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fair enough. However, I would say that this is not the 'meaning' of life in the sense others are talking about. Instead, I would call this the 'method of life', as it is what life does. Meaning, on the other hand, is harder to come by and I personally think it is a self-deluding question.

Life is some action, motion. Life is something that moves and goes from one place to another. We see the definition of life is something that is in motion or is dynamic. If we would know what would our lives mean or what does life simply mean? We can conclude our own ideas based on experience, learning, belief etc... You could search for the meaning of life all your life but you still won't find it. The answer is on your heart... DO you feel it? Do you see it? Who are you to rely on, yourself or Someone? What are your motivations for continuing to breathe.

Very nice answer ken!For me, the meaning of life is to progress. To go forward. To do whatever brings meaning into your life and to continue doing it. If it means everything to you to raise healthy intelligent and respectable children, do it, and then on your death bed you will be happy with your life. If it means everything to you to give money to beggars, then do it.Never have any regrets. Never feel guilty. Do what you think is right, and as long as it harms no-one else, you will live a good life, and die a happy person.(However, you do have to remember that you are going to die one day - running from that fact will only make you miserable.)