xisto Community
hast-webben

The Meaning Of Life An philosophy discussion

What is the meaning about life? And is there a meaning with life if it's all about that we someday have to die? And if so why did we ever been born? What is right and what is wrong? What is good and what is evil or bad?This just an discussion about the meaning of life, and I hope that this could be both exciting and usefull discussion.Peace, force and joyJens

In the great book ... the one true book ... the book with no contradictions ...the meaning of life is definitatively stated as 42.Otherwise, we are mere specs of carbon in the chaos of life ... neither have we meaning or purpose on a cosmological level. On a personal level, perhaps each individual strives to create a better place, a better, more civilised world for their progeny.cheershashbang

Personally, I believe everyone has a purpose at life and something they can excel at exceedingly well. Finding what it is may be one thing, but then using it to help the world is another.I always wonder on another level why I am able to control who I am. By this I mean, why can I move my hands, legs and arms. Why was it that one day I exist and can think for myself? Why can't I think for someone else? I mean, one day we exist and then far down the line we don't. I have always thought there is a greater purpose, but then, that is just me :)

first, define meaning of life. What counts as a meaning? Second, explain why life must or even should have this form of 'meaning'. If life had no intrinsic 'meaning' then would that be a bad thing? Or would our reaction to that possibility simply show a psychological distrust and dislike of the concept of 'meaningless'?I think it is the later.

I belive that everything that happen and everything that we're doing is must have some kind of reason for something. But I also do belive that it isn't always we understand for what reason or understand for what reason that we can use that or these situations we are going through in our lifetime. I think that it's extremly interesting topic to study, but I'm also known about that it's not all questions or requests that we're able to get to know, as someone or somehow had decided it just have to be like so of somekind of reason..:-) Life is really strange and sometimes extremly complicated.CheersJens

As I see it, there is NO meaning of life. It's something people have thought up, because they (we) always search for a reason behind everything. We just can't take it that there isn't any reason to live.

Religions are an excellent example of people who are searching for a meaning of life. God is their explanation of why we are here, and the meaning of life would then naturally live as best as you can and deserve yourself a place in heaven.

But that's not the way it works! There just isn't any meaning of life! That is to say, it doesn't have any meaning by itself. It doesn't mean that you can't give your life a meaning.

You have to do something you really like doing: go fish, do some work in the garden, play music, whatever! If you feel your doing something useful, or if the thing you're doing really cheers you up and put you in a good mood, that's the thing! That's your meaning you put to life.

BTW- No offense to people who believe in god. I'm just not a believer, I can't get myself to believe in God.

I know that the contents in life do you have to make by your self, and I also know that it's impossible to get all reason about why things are like it is. But many of reasons is possible to find, where would the ex. gen technology had been without searching for reasons? DNA's can answer many of surch questions, but still not them all.

As I see it, there is NO meaning of life. It's something people have thought up, because they (we) always search for a reason behind everything. We just can't take it that there isn't any reason to live.

Religions are an excellent example of people who are searching for a meaning of life. God is their explanation of why we are here, and the meaning of life would then naturally live as best as you can and deserve yourself a place in heaven.

But that's not the way it works! There just isn't any meaning of life! That is to say, it doesn't have any meaning by itself. It doesn't mean that you can't give your life a meaning.

You have to do something you really like doing: go fish, do some work in the garden, play music, whatever! If you feel your doing something useful, or if the thing you're doing really cheers you up and put you in a good mood, that's the thing! That's your meaning you put to life.

BTW- No offense to people who believe in god. I'm just not a believer, I can't get myself to believe in God.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know that the contents in life do you have to make by your self, and I also know that it's impossible to get all reason about why things are like it is. But many of reasons is possible to find, where would the ex. gen technology had been without searching for reasons? DNA's can answer many of surch questions, but still not them all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think that new tech coming out has much to do with a search for the meaning of life, frankly.

I once attempted to answer this question, but instead ended up answering another: why do we exist? (don't confuse this with the above stated question, as they are very different).I'll elaborate. I am a dualist, in that I believe that things come in pairs. Black/white, male/female, up/down, etc. Now, before we start venturing into abstract-land, let's get one thing straight: it is not absurd to believe in the concept of "nothingness." Okay, let's begin.Based on the acceptance of the concept of "nothingness," it is not unreasonable for a dualist to assume there is an equal (but opposite) match for this. This match, I call "somethingness." Hence, because "nothing" exists, "something" must exist too. Let's take this and convert it to another concept, death. Since death (the absence of all life) exists, the opposite of death must exist as well. Hence, we now have life. So, long story short, life exists because the absence of life (death) also exists. So, basically we're here to die.Comments, suggestions?

yeah, I think your view has some issues.  Why do triangles exist?  what is their opposite and why?  You say black is opposite of white, but what is the opposite of grey?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you're being too specific with your examples. It's not "find the opposite of xxx", but instead take the most general form of said object, and there will surely be an opposite. Take triangles for instance. Triangles are a subset of polygons. All polygons have one thing in common: straight lines. Hence, the opposite of polygons are curved forms, aka blobs. Likewise, while black has the distinct opposite of white, grey is deemed "colorless," hence the dualism opposite is "colorful."

I understand where you're coming from, and I'll agree that no philosophy is completely rock-solid. However, if you take everything to its most basic form, I almost assure you that you'll find an equal but opposite match.

Likewise, while black has the distinct opposite of white, grey is deemed "colorless," hence the dualism opposite is "colorful."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hrm ... I'm not convinced that grey is colorless. I suppose like anything else, it's all about how you define your terms of reference. For example what is colorful? it could be

having striking color; "colorful autumn leaves"

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

striking in variety and interest; "a colorful period of history"; "a colorful character"; "colorful language"

colored: having color or a certain color; sometimes used in combination; "colored crepe paper"; "the film was in color"; "amber-colored heads of grain"

cheers

hashbang

I think you're being too specific with your examples.  It's not "find the opposite of xxx", but instead take the most general form of said object, and there will surely be an opposite.  Take triangles for instance.  Triangles are a subset of polygons.  All polygons have one thing in common: straight lines.  Hence, the opposite of polygons are curved forms, aka blobs.  Likewise, while black has the distinct opposite of white, grey is deemed "colorless," hence the dualism opposite is "colorful."

I understand where you're coming from, and I'll agree that no philosophy is completely rock-solid.  However, if you take everything to its most basic form, I almost assure you that you'll find an equal but opposite match.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe they are curved lines, but they are still lines. If I took a triangle and rounded the edges a bit, would it suddenly be a member of the class opposite the class of its former self? My point is this: your definitions of what constitutes a 'pole' for dualism is arbitrary and without consistency. As such, it ends up being a fancy form of 'I think (xxx) just because'.

AAAhhhh....okay, first you have to see that perception is everything. i would say that life is really meaningless, when it comes right down to it. but as was said earlier, why does that have to be a bad thing. I think people just don't like the idea that life has no real meaning. Then again, as was also previously stated, you must find what makes you truly happy and pursue(sp?) it. that's where perception comes in. while i percieve that math is all the reason or explaination for life and all that is needed to explain life, you may percieve that music is the sole reason for our existance. So, I guess you could say the meaning of life is to enjoy it. Really, though, that's a reason for a single life, not for the existence of life....I don't know...I'm just babbling...Anyway... That's my two cents.StephenP.S. Maybe that's the more important question: "If you offer me a penny for my thoughts and I give my two cents, where the hell does that other penny go?"

What is the meaning about life? And is there a meaning with life if it's all about that we someday have to die? And if so why did we ever been born? What is right and what is wrong? What is good and what is evil or bad?

This just an discussion about the meaning of life, and I hope that this could be both exciting and usefull discussion.

Peace, force and joy

Jens

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello your question daene that to have some kind of significance

A great many people are necessary to you believe that another one grew from the stars they think that you die and you go to heaven, I in my opinion believe that we expected always something positive but in reality the LIFE DOES NOT HAVE WHY TO HAVE A SIGNIFICANCE,

Simply he is stops