xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Milk

Internet "1337"

All right, here's the thing. I'm making a topic that's not a moral or ethical issue o_O

Anyways, if you don't know what I mean by the title, I mean when you see people overusing the word "pwn" or "0|\/|6 U R |_4|\/|3 l0lolol!!!1!!one!!!" Bad rendition but anyways. I know this is the internet and people have the right to type any way they feel and that's fine; but haven't you ever talked to someone over the internet and they just use it twenty four seven without stopping to type properly so your eyes don't break out and bleed? I dunno about you guys, but sometimes it's just too much.

Another is when girls, >_>, type in their profiles or something in alternating caps like this, "OmG LiKe U r So KeWl!!!!" Each time I come across it, it's like an unbelievable pain, stabbing my eyes like there is no tomorrow. There are some things I can stand, and this is one I can't. Sure, once in a while, but some people fill their whole profiles with walls of this sort of text and it's just so freakin annoying. I mean, learn to type. It's ugly and not stylish. Oh and, It's so 7th grade.

Back to the original subject. I have a friend who consistently uses the "fad" of "teh", which was a misspelling of "the" >_> And I really don't think he realizes how dumb it makes him look. It's fine sometimes, and he uses it all the time on message boards and stuff, but he uses it everywhere else as well. In emails, aim, etc. It makes him look so stupid and each time I attempt to have a serious debate with him, he screws it up with that stupid usage of the word. It's so freaking annoying, I just stopped talking to him. (well, mainly cause he was being a pain in the *bottom* but whatever.)

And then there are those people who actually use this stuff outside of the internet which is kinda....well you know. Like for instance, the other day at another forum, there was a poll asking who uses what internet terminology outside of the internet and it was amazing at how many people actually use it in their daily life. There's really only so far you can use it...correct?

So my final word is, things used on the internet should stay on the internet. It should never be overused or used to such an extent that you look like an *bottom* and totally demean yourself as a "user" and a human being. Of course unless, you can totally pull it off and look like an awesome everyone-wants-to-be-you person. Then go you!

Finally someone who sees the light! I hate mispelling "you" as u or "are" as r. It's utter crap. If people learned to spell those words in preschool, why screw them up now? The only thing you'll appear to be is unintelligent. I absolutely hate variations of internet English and it really pisses me off when my friends type that way. I mean, we're in high school now. Shouldn't you be able to type one word correctly? Thanks for posting this! You might be able to enlighten the millions of pseudo-uneducated typists! I found a site a few months ago that was not only horrid design (they tried using christmas colors...and bad animated gifs) but also filled with beyond horrible typing.

I agree, I can't stand people who write like this:

OMG Teh oder day i was @ teh store and i bought sumthin!!!1!!!/||/\||\!!!1!!! & IMO dat's kEWl!!!1!!!/||/\||\!!!1!!!

57402[/snapback]

Furthermore I think it is completely unesecary to speak like that in any place because it makes you appear as if you where some mentaly deranged fool who is incapable of speaking the english langauge. And it is so annoying!!!

(Why won't the edit button appear?)

It's been removed for some reason - I agree, it's quite annoying to have to double-post. But not quite as bad as seeing someone go like this: OMG u r teh kewlst 1!!!!!!!!Makes me want to have my handy dandy pellet gun.

when girls, >_>, type in their profiles or something in alternating caps like this, "OmG LiKe U r So KeWl!!!!" Each time I come across it, it's like an unbelievable pain, stabbing my eyes like there is no tomorrow. There are some things I can stand, and this is one I can't. Sure, once in a while, but some people fill their whole profiles with walls of this sort of text and it's just so freakin annoying. I mean, learn to type. It's ugly and not stylish. Oh and, It's so 7th grade.

i was ROFLing at the "stabbing my eyes like there is no tomorrow" xD.. but anyway that's EXACTLY how i feel too! i mean is really annoying, stupid, argh and i can't find a reason for people to type that way, i mean it looks horrible and sometimes i don't even understand what is says... and by taking that kind of terminology out of the net i think is also bad, because we are.. like throwing to the garbage the education our parents gave us, by being lazy and don't writing the whole words, (besides that it makes you look like a freaky) do you get my point? :s?

i gotta agree for the most part. i hate when people replace, for example, "you", with "u". you can guess the other examples. as far as 1337 goes, it can be fun occasionaly (and i do it myself on occasion), but using it all the time is a bad thing IMO. i don't mind an occasional post, like for example, 7|-|!$ !$ 4/\/ 3><4/\/\p|-3 p()$7, but all the time is just rediculouse.

Dang. I was so afraid I was going to be flamed by crazy internet h4>< people, and turns out I wasn't. I love you guys. >_>But yeah, it's all right to use it every once in a while when having fun or being sarcastic or mocking or something of the sort, but there's just a line between light use and excess use.

People are lazy. That's why they type that way. If I didn't want to be taken seriously I'd type that way too. But, using those weird words with the weird characters I don't get. It does help get the word noticed so it isn't all bad. Using words in life? well it sounds really weird most of the time but some words like pwn and 1337 are easy to say and those two are the only words I use in life. I might sound like some dumbass, but I'm lazy.pheeew glad typing correctly is over >.<

Agreed.On occasion it can be somewhat funny, if only to laugh at the idiot. but it quickly gets annoying. It makes whoever is typing that way look incredibly stupid. i think it originally started from that old forum/bbs thing of using numbers to uncensor words if there was a swearing filter(i remember seeing lots of "th1s" in the old days) and someone probably started doing who sentences or even entire posts that way. it was funny or even cool at first, but now its just overused and annoying. the main proof of this is i now get spam... in leet... for instance today i got "|3UY a +1m3sh4r3!!!" or some nonsense like that.This reminds me of a friends forum, he has it set up so that "teh" is turned into "the" automatically, and posts in "ALL CAPS" are turned into "All Caps". nice idea..

Milk, you are so right Leet speak and the every other letter in caps is so irritating. it is like hey look it doesn't impress anyone try typing normal and you might get some attention because people won't have to decode the text.

People are lazy. That's why they type that way. If I didn't want to be taken seriously I'd type that way too. But, using those weird words with the weird characters I don't get. It does help get the word noticed so it isn't all bad. Using words in life? well it sounds really weird most of the time but some words like pwn and 1337 are easy to say and those two are the only words I use in life. I might sound like some dumbass, but I'm lazy.
pheeew glad typing correctly is over >.<

People are lazy? So how is typing like this, " |_1|<3 0|\/|6!!!!!shift+on3!!" a relief from being lazy? If you ask me, it's harder, requires more work, is hurtful to the eyes, and takes longer to figure out what the hell you're trying to talk about. Typing in alternate caps is not exactly 'un-lazy' either. You have to hold shift every other letter.......so I'm not exactly sure what you mean by lazy.

Unless of course you are speaking of shorthanding like "u, r, ur". If that's the case, then you look like an uneducated prep. =( And you're right, you cannot be taken seriously when you type like that.
If you wanted to get the word noticed, it would just be easier to type it all in caps.....no?

"pwn" isn't exactly easy to say. I've come across several occasions where there's a topic that asks how "you" pronounce the word "pwn" and so many people say it like, "p-owned" or "pawned" or whatever. It's stupid and retarded. and 1337? You mean "one-three-three-seven"? That's stupid. If you mean "elite" well that's an actual word, so.....

I mean, why do you say them? What's wrong with just saying, "oh mah gawd, haha, she owned your freakin face dude!!" What's the difference between "pwn" and "own"? I see none except "pwn" is stupid.

Glad typing correctly is over? You totally lost all respect I could have possibly had for you. Thanks.