xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JohnNitro

Apache And Merlin local host server

Thanks for the info. I'll look up the tutorial,but do I need to have a web site first? I'm not sure. Merlin is a server. but I wanted to know the difference, to see which one is better. but thanks again for taking your time and answering my question.

ok thanks fo r that info, but do I need to have a web site before I can start using apache? But just so I understand apache better, it's a local host server, which means you can use it without being connected to the interenet right?

where do you test your applications? any 3rd party hosting or in your local machine.what is the local machine 's OSif its windows better choice is IIs that comes with windows 2000 and above or PWS that comes with windiows NT windows 98 till ME.

YES, you can start Apache without having a website....anyone connecting to your website will get the default "this is apache default index.html, if you are seeing this, you havent made a website yet" index.html file.make sure your ISP is okay with you running a web server, alot of ISP dont like it,you can try to availd detection by running the server on a port other than 80 / 8080.some ISP's do scan sclients for open port 80 and 21.ALSO.. windows ME is not a good choise of OS.Apache is very secure, but running in on such an old insecure OS isnt going to do you any favors...have a look at Solaris / OpenBSD / FreeBSD / Linux (preferably slackware / gentoo)all make excelent servers, OpenBSD is the most secure (not a single remote securety flaw in almost 10 years)but all the checking of the source code means new versions of software is almost never available. (does this matter...? on a pure web server no, if you also use it as a desktop, maybe yes)but the other BSD's / Unix's are plenty secure providing you lookout for apache securety warning, and keep SSH up to date (or deactivate it if you dont need it)Unless you Need all the new feartures of Apache2, go for Apache1.

So I tried the Apache thing, but ran into problems:

1.) I connect through a router to my DSL...

- Initially I was confused by the fact that my "ipconfig" util showed an ip with 192.x.x.x, but I did some research and found I was a retard...

- Then, I figured out how to direct requests from my router, port 80 to my specific computer, but...

I think that's where I'm stuck...

I had some trouble finding a tutorial that didn't use a domain name... I don't have one, nor do I need one... I'd rather redirect through some jenky service like cjb.net...

But, I cannot access my page through the router...
LOCALHOST/ -> works...

Whatever... f*ck it... lol -> how do you think I ended up here... I'm lazy, that's why...

But, if anyone knows how to use Apache to serve off a computer in the local intranet through a router and then into a dsl modem... please drop me a line... I've already broken a few things around my computer over this. ( I prefer that to hair pulling )

Thx - Peace

Merlin is like apache you use it the same way. Except that Merlin says there program is much better. I forgot the site because its been a long time since I went there. I'm try to self teach myseld coding that's why I needed a program that lets me see what I have done. So i can see my mistakes and what I have made. If anyone knows of a better way to learn please let me know, I'm not getting to far on my own :D seem it's much more difficult then I thought it might be. All the questions it asks to set it up I just don't understand what all the things mean. lol..... I need to keep at it this is what I want to do. I will over come this....Thanks for all the info you all posted I read it all, and understood a little. ButI'm working on it.

Do yourself a big favor and get XAMPP or WAMP, they are both Apache based webservers with PHP, and MySQL amoung other things already built in, and you can set them up on your ME heck I set them up on Win98 a long time ago.

You merely download either or both of these run the install and then start using your new server on your local machine, there is no need to set up a web server on a web server you just want a host that has certain capabilities like MySQL and PHP possibly Perl, phpMyAdmin, and other things.

Unless you have good reference material to set up the Apache, then the MySQL database server and then PHP along with the php.ini to make it do what you want, then get a package like XAMPP or WAMP that do it all for you in just a few minutes after you have downloaded it instead of spending days or weeks only to end up with a big mess due to not really knowing what all needs to be configured to set up a web server and supporting programs and other servers like mail servers or FTP Hosts. It can be done but it is not easy I know I have done it and I have reference material on all the above and even with that it still is a chore.

XAMPP is right HERE!
and WAMP is right HERE!

thanks, but do I need to download both or just one.... I not sure about that I download both now but if I only need one let me know.. Also if I need help will you be able to help me out? Thanks for the information its really good.

I personally use both, and there is a good reason for this one the WAMP I use the latest software Apache MySQL and PHP5.0.11 along with the latest phpMyAdmin. The XAMPP I use PHP 4 and some older phpMyAdmin. These are for me to test my Web applications and keep up with the newest. Some of my older stuff will not run without modification on the newest versions and for that reason I alter the older software accordingly to work no matter what application is used by the server that is one the web.With XAMPP you can switch between PHP 4 and PHP 5 but I just use the PHP 4 running on it for my older stuff. XAMPP and WAMP will both set up with ease on your local machine and within 10 minutes of download and install you can be testing your HTML PHP MySQL, and with XAMPP even a mail server and Perl script.If I were to use only one it would probably be XAMPP because of all the features plus I have been using it since 2003 with a couple of upgrades along the way. It is feature packed and a very easy install, I know because before I found XAMPP I set up my own Apache with PHP and MySQL and even with a reference manual had trouble setting it up, it was a big headache, then when I found XAMPP it was like magic just download unsip and run the install then there you are DONE!