xisto Community
bryandel

What Is The Best Brand Of Harddisk? Who has longer life?

Which is the best brand of harddisk?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since you did not specify IDE, ATA, SATA or SCSI. No comparison on speed. 3200, 3500, 3600, 3700, 4200, 4500, 5400, 7200, or 10k rpm etc. I picked the maxtor since I'm using one in my system. The Maxtor's Atlas 10K IV has an incredible read write speed. :)Nils

I want to see which brand is more reliable in handling data, longer life and fastest access time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I voted for Maxtor. I had a six year old 6 gig drive, and its been reformatted lots of times, since I tried lots of linux distros and reformatted Win98 almost every 6 months. It was reliable enough for me, I can't recall any major loss. As for access time, I think that all depends on the type and speed of the drive itself.

Hope that helped!

I have used Western Digital and haven't had any problems. I think you'll find that people stick with what they know and trust. As well there are things like the age of the drive and what it going to be used for to take into consideration.

I used to use Maxtors all the time, but they seem to go bad after 5 years in my experience. Western Digital is normally what I use. All but one of my Western Digital drives I've ever owned still works. I've heard great things about IBM Deskstar drives, and I'll be giving one a try in my Macintosh when I get a bigger hard drive for it.

Only harddisk that has broken in my use was Seagate. Currently I have three samsung drives in use and have had no problems. When I bought my first Samsung I had consern it to be noisy, they were generally concerned that, but in practise I did not notice any difference to other drives. I've had a very same drive in active use for several years now and it's working like charm. Because of the good experience and Samsung's rather customer friendly pricing policy, my next drive and drive after that was Samsung too. Yep, the Koreans definately know what they are doing.

I dont know about all of the cryterea together because I have had either a fast hard drive with short life or a slow one with long life. I have an old seagate that is horibly slow and noisy but it has been steadily pumping out reliable data for about 7 years. on the other hand I have had Maxtors with blazing speed and had to return sevral of them under warinty for replacement. My last one died about 2 months out of warinty. I have now switched to Hitache/IBM. I havn't had it long enough to say anything about durability, but it is defanatly fast and quiet.

I got one Seagate which has lasted for over an year and has some bad sectors i guess.. The performance has dropped pretty much. Recently, a month back I purchased Samsung because they are giving 5 Years Warranty. Now who the hell would ignore that :)

Actually i'm joining the topic to see waht's the best.. cause my maxtor failed badly...and i have read in other topics in this forums that maxtor is not so good as u might think

rapco,

I have a Western Digital in this computer and no problems so far. This is my work computer (my secondary computer) and they call it 80GB even though it's closer to 74.5GB: :)

Model WDC WD800LB-60DNA1Bytes/Sector 512
Media Loaded Yes
Media Type Fixed hard disk
Partitions 1
SCSI Bus 0
SCSI Logical Unit 0
SCSI Port 0
SCSI Target ID 0
Sectors/Track 63
Size 74.53 GB (80,023,265,280 bytes)
Total Cylinders 10,337
Total Sectors 156,295,440
Total Tracks 2,480,880
Tracks/Cylinder 240
Partition Disk #0, Partition #0
Partition Size 74.52 GB (80,015,491,584 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 32,256 bytes

And I have a lot of older Western Digital HD's from computers we retired. Most of those are 42-4300MB but I have some that was in computers for 10+ years and I use them when repairing older computers with dead HD's.

(I'm not changing my mind, I still like the Maxtor 10k better )

Nils

In my 15 years of computer "experiences" I have found an abnormal amount of Seagate and Western Digital hard disks with faulty conrollers that seem to burn out after about a year or two. But really it probably all comes down to what manufacturer they are getting parts from and in all manufactured parts businesses, there are batches of bad parts. Through some cosmic force they always manage to sneak a few through and they end up in disk drives anyways. Even still all seem to last about a year - just long enough for the manufacturers warranty to run out. Oh well.Good Luck

This is an interesting question because hard drives have gone through so many changes from ten years ago that even manufacturers have left the HD scene. Asking this question is like asking what the best car out there is.A long time ago there used to be competition in the US with the manufacturing of drives and the companies tried to out do each other. But since then the corporate world has changed and drives are mass produced in Singapore, China or Japan. Now people only care about how much the drive cost and how much storage it has. Cheap labor!