xisto Community
bryandel

Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 vs. 775

Does Intel Pentium 4 with a socket 775 performs better than socket 478?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YES YES YES...

The LGA 775 Socket was concibed for trespassing the 3.5 Ghz fronteer wich is imposible to pass using only 478 contacts between mother and CPU.

The LGA 775 also eliminates the electrmagnteic noises produced by the pin array by removing the pines, and has better surface of contact by using gold contacts surfaces, the surface of contact is no more a single point, it's now a a surface.

The only bad news on LGA 775 it's that the gold is very maleable and it's very sensible to contaminations and scratchs, and the socket on motherboard is also very "weak".

The "little wafer" (core) need to be "feeded" with data to process, and needs to delivery that processed data the fastest way possible, so the pins where the bottleneck for todays CPU, as AMD increases the number of pins for more than 900 intel opted to use 775 contacts with electromgnetic noise near to zero, and with more surface of contact they can carry more electrcity wich means more wats and more MHZ.

Intel announces the 1066 MHZ front side bus on Q1 - 05 using this socket. There is no way to reach that FSB using FPGA 478

775 prescott have no performance advantage over 478. I have a 478 prescott, and they are supposed to have temperature issues, and 775 have solved that, but with my Tt HSF, i idle at about 30-35 and load at a max of 45. 775 tend to use DDR2 and PCI-E though on the 915 mobo's. Better yet go for a Socket 939 Athlon 64.

775 prescott have no performance advantage over 478. I have a 478 prescott, and they are supposed to have temperature issues, and 775 have solved that, but with my Tt HSF, i idle at about 30-35 and load at a max of 45. 775 tend to use DDR2 and PCI-E though on the 915 mobo's.

Better yet go for a Socket 939 Athlon 64.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pedro,

THe 478 prescott is exactly the same core as a 775 prescott now a days, the 755 has better perfromance and bandwith, but today they are just the same, the difference is that this is 755 floor and 478 roof.

The prescott has NO TEMEPERATURE ISSUES, as it uses more refinated silicious it can carry more electricity, and can support more temperature after it crashes because of an "avalanche" of electrons because of temperature or electricity, that is why 90nm technology opers at nominal temperature of 70ºC. Wich is a lot more than the 45ºC supported by AMD or intel Northwood.

For more info on Prescott please refeer to.

There you have absolutely all info on 478, 775 and prescott.

Socket 478 and LGA 775

Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 vs. 775

Can I put a pentium 4 socket 478 cpu into an LGA socket 775 motherboard?

-Tommy Boy

478 vs 775Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 vs. 775

nowadays y'all can get 478 motherboards with ddr2 and pcie, so fer a prescott chip it's just a matter of preference and longevity. Though 775 has quads now if yer buildin' a system from scratch.

personally I'd choose 478 over 775 fer a prescott chip though, as the motherboard socket is heartier and less easily damaged. And as fer the 3.5ghz thing, I got a 3.4 478 prescott in one of these new biostar p4m900-m4 478 boards runnin at 3.73ghz right now on air coolin' with a nice scythe heatpipe cooler, and AS: 5. Idles 42c, 57c load. Runnin' 4 gigs of mushkin redline ddr2 800, and a radeon 4850. Rock solid stable, and damn fast fer a single-core. 

then again fer buildin' a new system, amd has socket am3 now, which blows away anythin' intel has, and y'all kin get the new low wattage phenom x4 quads, toss in a couple 4850's in crossfire, and  4 gigs of mushkin ddr3, and ya' got yerself a real powerhouse gamin' system.

-reply by Chloe

Socket 478 vs 775Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 vs. 775

I built computers from scratch  using Presot socket 478 and 775 The 478 worked better but the 775 MOB was able to use dual core shortly after and that was the advantage. The 478 L2 ram was 1 meg where as the 775 could go higher. At the moment I am running an E8400 45nm, nvidia Ge Force9600 GT passive cool on an Asus P5Q-E which can have up to 16GB DDR2 1200 mhz

The socket 775 is better if you are building your system from scratch and would upgrade later.

-reply by Andy1969

i had a intel centrino d processor on my pc and i wanted to replace it with my pentium rIntel Pentium 4 Socket 478 vs. 775

I had a intel centrino d processor on my pc and I wanted to replace it with my pentium r mobile process on my laptop as its mobo stopped worked working I donno how many pins it has or what I cant even remove a heat sink as of now , I just wanna know if its worth the pain to remove it and try and check if the centrino r 1.86 ghz processor works in it, I use a asus p5pevm mobo on my desktop and the specs are on the site of support.Asus.Com can someone help me?

-reply by sagaer majithia