xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
everydaysushi

Jazz Recommendations?

hey!i especially like blues, but in terms of jazz, here are some good guys to check out:piano: dave brubeckguitar: taj mahalthen of course there's count basie and duke ellington. check out the CD store and find your favorites!

Thelelonius Monk is sort of a given. If you haven't heard Thelelonius Monk I would suggest that you listen.If you want to here something sort of quirky try listening to Thelonius Moog. ALthough influenced by Thelonius Monk, Thelonius Moog is jazz made primarily with moog synthesizers from the 1970's. Hiromi (Hiromi Uehara) is a nice jazz pianist. Some of her music also features drums and even some electronics sometimes.I like the more experimental spectrum of jazz. Sun Ra was a very interesting musician. Although he was sort of a crazy man, he had some very complex and unique music.There is a band called the Flying Luttebachers that started as a sort of avant garde free jazz with drums and sax. Over the years, their style has transformed into an interesting chaotic fusion of free jazz and heavy metal. Weasel Walter is an amazing drummer. Even after moving into the heavy metal scene, their song structure is still influenced and characteristic of jazz, not rock.If you are looking for something mellow, check out Portishead. She makes some very atmospheric acid jazz.

Jazz? hmmm.... STEELY DAN! It's not exactly jazz, but bordered on jazz and rock. I've been listening to them non-stop for the past 6 months and they are simply amazing. Try them out.... amazing guitar and piano solos. Other than that, I'm mostly into rock.

Here are some of my favourite jazz artists:

Trumpet: Miles Davis, Wynton Marsalis

Piano: Art Tatum, Dave Brubeck, Chick Corea, Oscar Peterson, Thelonious Monk

Sax: Sonny Rollins, Paul Desmond, Stan Getz, Wayne Shorter, John Coltrane

Guitar: John McLaughlin, Pat Metheny, Wes Montgomery, Les Paul

I love lots more, this is just a short list of people who come to mind. Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_musician for a list of jaz musicians by era/instrument. It my help you find something you like.

Edited by Kardus (see edit history)

yes most of the poeple like Classical music because in other worlds you can say the real music is classical instead of pop music because everyone could sung in pop but there are only few peoples who could sing in classical and i think jazz is doing a great job in this way .

I'm more into modern jazz and fusion : Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, ...And some classical jazz (Gerswhin, Joplin, ...)