xisto Community
iGuest

Gravitational Time-dilation Time and Black Holes

Just wondering... Should we be experimenting with this sort of thing.What if we DO find a way to travel back in time... Or we can give something the speed of light... Could you imagine what could happen???People would start to 'fix' things that went wrong in the past, assasinations, wars, hitler... So the whole world would be different. And my opinion is that we just have to leave the past as it is, and not trying to invent such technology, since (imo) that it will bring more harm than good.

I think we should try it, I think Bill gates has the money to fund it, so he should get to see how well it works. If he gets sucked in, no big loss, and if he succeeds, hey, we wont see him for a few years!

Just wondering... Should we be experimenting with this sort of thing.

What if we DO find a way to travel back in time... Or we can give something the speed of light... Could you imagine what could happen???

People would start to 'fix' things that went wrong in the past, assasinations, wars, hitler... So the whole world would be different. And my opinion is that we just have to leave the past as it is, and not trying to invent such technology, since (imo) that it will bring more harm than good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think you could change the past, heres why. Anything that we know now happened regardless of future events. If someone in the future really went back and changed something, that is what our current reality would be. No 'changes to the past will actually be changes for us, they will simply be events that happened already. Thus I don't think anyone can go back in time and for example, kill Hitler's parents befor he was concieved. My theory is, if time travel is possible, then we cannot change our past. Everything that has happened will remain as it was, I think that time travel will only allow for visiting other times, not directly, or indirectly, changing the course of history.

lol... good ones tattopunk. But do you guys know that theoretically it might be possible to go back in time - but you can NEVER come back to future, i.e. the present - from there...Imagine a very steep and almst infinitely high hill.. you are standing at the bottom and some unseen force is pushing you upward along the sides.. it will take a massive amount of energy and you have to achieve almost the speed of light to get the top.. But once you reach the top - you can just roll down the other side on your own - once you start that, you just keep rolling down gathering momentum as you go. In this situation you can just roll further down and down into the past, but can never stop to turn around and climb back up to come back to the present....That's how the whole time travel thing is supposed to work.

I wouldn't mind being stuck back in the 70's and 80's. I wonder if time travel makes you impotent, or else you could pull a red dwarf and be your own grandfather? Then there would be 2 theen 3 then 4 of you, because they'd keep bewing born, going back in time, then being their own grandfather, wierd huh?

I thought I heard, years ago, that there are particles known to exist that DO go faster than the speed of light... The light barrier is simply that. Things that are going slower than the speed of light cannot go faster, and things that are faster than the speed of light cannot slow down below that speed.

Here's an article I found mentioning particles known to be faster than the speed of light, and the phenomenon that occurs because of this...

http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae219.cfm

EDIT: Just found it... They're called Tachyons
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Tachyon.html

So there you have it.

I beleave it was einstein's theory when you get close to a black hole time tends to slow down, and in one of einstein's thought experiments he described going into a black hole.

Einstein said if you could get close to a black hole but not go into the black hole only a few minutes would pass for you while outside of the black holes gravitational field a year would have passed . when you returned to earth it would have in a sense  traveled forward in time.

is this theory correct?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really don't know about the theory.. but I have a thought..

Visualize this: You're in a craft travelling towards a Black Hole. Most likely you will not be travelling at the speed of light, because of the physical laws of mass, you'll be squished smaller than a peanut if you acclerate to this speed. Now, to maintain a position outside a black hole you would have to begin a slow circuit of the black hole so as to acclerate to a speed fast enough to maintain an orbit at a cirtain distance. Either you'd have to orbit or you'd have to discover a new form of propulsion that will allow you to thrust away from the Black hole's gravity. The gravity of a black hole is strong enough to absorb light and not let it escape. That means that light (a particle of which is already travelling at light speed) will acclerate to faster thatn the speed of light due to the gravity of the Black hole. Since escape velocity from a black hole is going to be faster thatn the speed of light, you will have to be acclerating AND you will have to maintain a speed faster than that of light.

If we measure each second (point in time) in relation to the speed of light, it would mean that due to your speed, you'd have reduced the number of points in time to keep in the present (present continous being one second at the speed of light), into a negative figure. Therefore time for you would be either static or ebbing into the past, while on Earth, folks would be percieving time IN REAL TIME. So while you're outside a Black hole time would be static for you or receding for you, while time flows at the normal rate of perception to people on Earth.

Percieving time is another factor in itself. People who's minds work faster than average would percieve time as slow compared to someone who is incapable to think quick.

Just a thought.. just a thought... :-) Rashid Ahmed.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I read an article in Scientific America or something that black holes not only suck in, but also they release energy. Scientists were studying this output originally thought this output was random, but they're beginning to notice distict patterns. The article brought up a novel idea of "Hacking Black Holes" by sending in specific data with the intent of producing a specific output. The whole thing is hypothetical, but the idea scares me :P

That was a real good and concise explanation kaputnik.. one of the best in the series... Herbert black holes DO release energy as you'd see from one of my earlier posts - coz as you get sucked into one, the intense gravitational force causes your whole mass to implode (read opposite of explode) - i.e. collapse onto itself being concentrated at just one point...in effect, your whole mass gets destroyed as is transformed into pure energy... This energy, at the outer fringes of the black hole, still has enough velocity to escape, and show up as chromatic bands on the particle detectors that we have... But once you are deep into a black hole (how deep is the question) - nothing would escape and you'd be completely left to its mercy.. Another theory goes - imagine the shape of black holes being as that of infinitely long funnels.. I'm sure your can come up with a picture in your mind.. as you drop deeper into the black hole - you keep travelling infinitely IN, while your mass gets infinitely smaller and smaller - it's quite probable, such two funnels are joined back to back at the narrow ends and thus acts as a passageway to some other end of the universe (what we commonly call HyperGalactic Space in Sci-Fi movies) - and your velocity will be so intensely high by the time you reach the connecting mid-point of these two funnels, that you'd shoot right across the median line and carry on, with reducing velocity to the other broader end till that gravitational pull of the black hole is insufficient to hold you back any longer - and you come out at some point which is bizillion miles away from your origin... Of course, all this happens if you somehow manage to retains your mass, shape and conciousness and live to tell us all about it :P

Now that I'm thinking of it, I read an article in Scientific America or something that black holes not only suck in, but also they release energy. Scientists were studying this output  originally thought this output was random, but they're beginning to notice distict patterns. The article brought up a novel idea of "Hacking Black Holes" by sending in specific data with the intent of producing a specific output. The whole thing is hypothetical, but the idea scares me  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I have come across Black holes releasing radio waves ... thats because of the spin.. when an object moves.. spins, rotates, vibrates, ... it releases cirtain ammounts of radio waves.. the larger amounts come from black holes, novas and other imploding stars. Small though they may be, any object rotating with the massive size of a black hole will be letting out a cacophony of radio waves.

If there were any possibility of coherence to the frequencies detected then it would mean that the black holes are A)acting as some sort of portal to various parts of the universe or even the multiverse, or :P acting as a shelter for intellengence (I'm not saying 'life', but intellengence that can cope with the intense pressures of surviving within a black hole.

For that matter, it just may be possible that black holes in 'consuming' matter, light etc.. have evolved into mind bogglingly large storehouses of knowlage and computing capacity... lols.. now I'm letting my imagination run wild, so I'll stop here..

R.A.