xisto Community
arunkumarhg

USB Devices On Linux

Try plugging in another USB memory thingy in it, if that gives an error too, i guess it's your pc having problems with USB, to solve that, you could try and upgrade your Kernel, OR download and install Fedora Core 3, it's a kind of a Red Hat 10, it really looks and feels like red hat 9, go get it at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (of course, it's totally free).

Can any one tell me How to access USB Hard Disk On RedHat Linux 9.0.

AM facing lot of problem Here.

Its Throwing me a error Saying

"/dev/sda1/" Not a valid Memory block

Any Help Please....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You will have to make sure the USB module is loaded, show us the output of "lsmod", this is to make sure the USB driver is loaded, also the USB Mass Storage Device should be there for your USB Hard Drive, also you may need to check if you have "usbide", although this could have been altered or compiled into the kernel, as development on usbide dropped sometime ago.

you may need to "su -"

Try "ls /dev/sda*" to see if anything shows up, if not, I would assume the usb driver isn't loaded and you would need to get this loaded first, it may show your usb hard drive at the initialising stage, which you should agree, it's not going anywhere. I wouldn't think you would need the scsi drivers loaded but just incase, it may pay to have them as /dev/sd?? is for scsi devices but it's how usb drives are labelled as well.

Cheers,

MC

Hey Mate,
There's some good advice already here but I wonder if you have made a directory in /mnt for your HD? I use numerous flash USB drives with ease on my machines. But first I have to ensure the drive is recognised by the computer, is added to /etc/fstab and has a mount point (hence the dir in /mnt or whereever you wish to mount the HD). If you use https://www.google.com/linux/, search for redhat and usb drives. I'm sure you'll get instant gratification.

cheers
hashbang

bum.png