xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sky1405241473

Why I Chose Macintosh Virtues of OS 10

It depends. What applescript does is automate tasks. Its sorta like a shell scripting language, if you have ever used unix or linux. Chances are, you don't need to at all. But, i understand knowing how to use it allows you to do very powerfull customized things.

there's really no need to "learn" applescript. you can find scripts in books and online for simple tasks, I use applescript often but I know pretty much no unix scripting. kinda like javascript, when i need to use it on a webpage I either get a ready made script from a book or a website or I get one of my friends to write it for me

When the major OS' were first being created the reason that people liked macs is because of their ease of use. You didn't have to memorize all sorts of code just to open a document, they had an interactive interface from the start.

Now that everything is so simple a hamster could run it, the Apple company has gone the other way. They still have the simple interface for those that don't require something more customizable, but thanks to a little program called Applescript you can use basic unix programming to change the inner workings of programs and documents (you can even change the OS to some extent). From simple things like allowing free Quicktime to go into fullscreen mode, to more complicated things.

Ease of use when I need it and customization when I need it are the reasons that I chose Mac.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I switched in 2003 to using an ibook and I have never regretted the change. The ibook stays connected to the internet (broadband) when the other computers (Windows) in the house are down, and there are less viruses for the mac to get. I like the interface more, I love the design and sleek look. I love how easy it is to use a mac. I had no problem adjusting to OS X.

There aren't just less viruses, there are none so far for OSX. There were a handfull for the old Mac OS series. 10.4 unfortunately has some security holes involving dashboard widgets. Nothing huge (like root access), but definitely the ability to be very annofing. Hopefully it will be patched soon. Still, there has yet to be anything other than proof of concept code for doing this. (yay!) On the other hand, Apple should have realized this would be a problem. This was a definite screw up.

About the internet connection: My iBook has never had problems with connecting to our DSL. The one Windows PC is constantly loosing the connection and it's always on. My iBook is sleeping when ever I'm not using it and it still far more reliable.

Personally I prefer Macs.I have used Dells, EMachines, HP, and all of these wonderful brands that endorses Windows. As great as windows is, its operating system is very cluttery and incoherent.After a few years of careless organising files, the operation system becomes bogged and slow.In mac's case, it has an actually a unclunky simplified operating system.In most cases, it is more safer, as it is harder to alter its system documents. I have a Dell Laptop, and by this years end, I want an iBook. I think it is just worth the investment.It is a group tool for school, and it is just more easier to use.The new version of OSX is also out. I heard some good reviews about tiger, and I can't wait until I get my hands on a MAC!

I am just a 14 year old boy and have 3 mac lappysI also use my PowerBook when i am out.People all look at it like there is no tomorrow. That is one of the reason i choose PowerBooks. Very beatiful and V-I-R-U-S F-R-E-E.

Do you have one of the new PowerBooks? They look sweet, but my favorite is the Titanium PowerBooks. They had a nice look. It's too bad Apple discontinued them. Really any Apple laptop (made in the last five years) looks better than any other laptop I've ever seen. They are just so simple and elegant.

Actually, to be truthful, my parents chose the Macintosh. Unfortunately, I have a slight old version of a Mac. It's an iMac 8.6 3 ghz. What I find fascinating about the Macintosh. (and even though it's old) is that when there is a problem with it, it's very simple to fix it. But since I have an old verson of the Mac, I've been getting alot of trouble. This may have to do with using to much, or it not being compatible with the newer programs that are made today. :P Macintoshes have very simple features. What I like mostly about the Macintosh is how fast it is. My friend told me awhile ago that Windows operated systems just came up with 3ghz, and mine is 3ghz, and I've had this computer since I was in the 5th grade, and now I'm going to be a junior. Also, another good thing I like about it, is how it's made. Notice how Windows places your icons on the left, and Macintoshes place them on the right. Opening programs, closing them on the Mac is so fast that I can't even explain. One thing I don't like (and for all you Mac users, you'd probably agree with me) is that since that the whole computer world is based on Windows programs. Well, most of them. In my opinon, it would be pretty cool to open .exe files and such on a Mac.

I choose Mac because, well, I don't really play any computer games. I am very into photography and movie editing. Also, it is very user friendly for my wife and family. My kids are learning faster than I am, haha.I believe, though, that in the near future, everyone will have two computers. One MAC for everyday use and then a PC for business. Hopefully MAC can progress in the areas Windows does best.

Okay.....a few things need to be said here...

just to shed some light on people.

All of our school computers are Windows-run, with the exception of maybe one or two staff-owned Apples. But even then, most people at our school prefer Windows over Macintosh, if only for the ease of use.

Seriously, if you're looking to make something available to the majority of computer users out there, you should choose Windows. Unless, of course, everyone in your community uses Macintosh, which I doubt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, if you want to make something available to the majority of computer users out there (assuming i's programs you are talking about), UNIX is the way to go. Typicaly it's easier porting to Windows from UNIX than vice versa. Not to mention if you write your source code properly, nearly everyone under the UNIX sun can use it. Also, personnaly, I would never design a Windows application in my life. The environment isn't exactly stable.Not to mention it would also run slower, and of course, not as stable as it would run on UNIX. What's the point of creating software for a buggy platform?

OSX and OpenBSD (call it Unix if you want) are virtually the same OS.

the BSD's are cousins of Linux,

Linux is the daughter of Minix,

Minix was Unix's little brother...

its a strange family tree... but windows is the complete oposite of anything even remotely Unix Like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well to be exact, BSD is more of an uncle of UNIX. You have the Mother (UNICS, later changed to UNIX), who had two children, System V and BSD, and then each had their own children. Children of System V being Minix, Linux, IRIX, and Solaris, and the children of BSD being Darwin (The actual OS in Mac OS X)...But yet it is a rather interesting family. And then we have Windows....completely unrelated, it's own family tree consisting of it's own father, CP/M, and then a 16-bit ripoff of CP/M that Microsoft didn't even create (MS-DOS) and Windows, originally the most crude and mediocre GUI out there for DOS, as compared to GEM and GEOS. If anyone actually did deserve to be that powerful of a company (in the AT world), it's Digital Research, NOT Microsoft. DR actually cared about it's customers and made good stuff.

O_o BLASPHEMY!!! :P

Seriously, though, yeah... CS is great. As is Half-Life 2. It's no insignificant loss, as you are missing out on hours and hours of entertainment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Counter-Strike and Half-Life honestly bore me, personally. Besides, I'd rather play games on a dedicated system, like a console. No compatibility issues, better-designed hardware for that specific purpose, not to mention current game consoles are all 64-bit systems, as opposed to 32-bit X86 ATs. Oh yes, and don't forget how much more comfortable it is to use a real controller as opposed to a keyboard. Computers generally, are better for games that exclusively use keyboard input, like Infocom-type games, and games that use something similar to SCUMM (think Monkey Island), or emulation of older, more simple systems. The advances in the past 10 years in video games, just really makes them too complex to play them on an AT. Wouldn't Counter-Strike be so much nicer to play when you can have an analog stick to aim with, rather than a numeric keypad or that horrible upside-down T?

The reason why someone goes from open hardware+closed OS to Open OS + Closed hardware(though Mac OSX is hardly truly open), is that some people don't care all that much about the open/closed debate.  They want something that gives them no **** and does what they want.  Windows will usually do what you want, at least kinda, but has a long history of either giving you **** itself or being virus ridden or having other random problems.  Linux gives you **** in that its not very intuitive at all.  Instead of doing your work or what have you the user has to Go Learn Linux, which can be no easy task. Then, on linux, while there is lots of software, there isn't photoshop(GIMP doesnt count, not by a long shot), dreamweaver, etc etc etc.  So, after you learn linux, you have to Go Learn New Programs, which may or may not have the ease of use/features you require.  Which all adds up to a huge hassle for someone who, like most people, just wants to use their computer to do their work and be done with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Remember, before you drive a car, you must learn how to, and get a license. Before you perform surgery on someone, you must go to school, and before you use ANY kind of tool, you MUST learn how to properly operate it. Learning is an important part of life, and the more you learn, the more successful you will be. And a computer is a tool. If you don't want to learn how to use it, then why did you even buy it? If you are a parent, I'm sure you realise how ridiculous it would be to buy your child a car, them never learning how to drive it, throw them the keys and just say "Just go drive it, don't worry about not knowing what to do." Learning is an essential part of life, and it saddens me to try and see people avoid it.

And using GIMP and Photoshop side by side, I can tell you that GIMP is every bit as good as Photoshop, if not, then better. So you have multiple windows open instead of one huge one, which contains, essentially all the same little windows inside it, resulting in nothing more than wasted space. I know, learning, and UNIX and the like can sound like a hassle, but really, it's not, as compared to Windows. Remember, you only have to learn it ONCE. With UNIX, maybe it's a small hassle in the beginning, but once you have it down, you have it down. Windows however, is the neverending hassle. Always Defragging, Scandisking, Antivirusing, and all this other junk that you do, really, only to just have to do it right over again. UNIX is actually a lot simpler and easier once you learn how to use it, in the sense that it doesn't give you **** when you actually want to get your work done. You know the command, and you know exactly what it is going to do. With Windws, you know maybe what it SHOULD do, but that doesn't mean it's going to do it. If you want the computer to do things YOUR way, use UNIX. If you like having problems, and an OS made by a company which doesn't care for it's customers, but only money and control of it's users, get Windows. (And remember, Windows XP is spyware itself, so Big Brother really IS watching.) If you don't want to use UNIX, or you need support for things that aren't yet supported in UNIX, get Mac OS X.