xisto Community
arunkumarhg

Windows Or Linux DEVELOPERS Which OS You Prefer?

"DEVELOPERS" Which OS You Prefer?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The reason I use Macs are because I am not quite good enough to use Linux or Unix, I like things really simple sometimes. Mac is a Unix based OS so I still posses a fraction of that power. If I did a lot of developing I would probably want to switch over to Linux, all of my colleuges who develope extensively use it.

I personally perfer Linux.And, technically, it's GNU/Linux.But I've heard about Mac's.They seem to have the best of both world's in being having a lot of software like Window's while still having a stable UNIX foundation (called Darwin).

At the moment I prefer Windows beecause I have always used it and its quite simple. If I really wanted to get a truly brilliant website going and decided not to be stingy and get a web server at home I would probably go with Linux though. It has no viruses, is widely supported and is of course free. It is probably the most secure OS available, which is what you want when hosting a website

I prefer Window because i never use another OS. Window can support with the most program. I use Window in my school or cafe when i came back to home, i use Window. I'v ever seen Linux in computer shop. I want to try for sometimes but now i'm enjoying with Window.

I chose Windows because its what I have been taught and what most people use. Linux programming is probably easier than windows if you are using c++ but there are a bunch of languages that are used in both platforms like php, python, perl just to name a few. I am a big fan of cross-platform programming so languages like java or perl are good.

I use Windows 2000 for the time being until I manage to find a copy of System 9.2.2. for my Macintosh. I prefer the Macintosh, although I'm really most comfortable with text-based interfaces. I used to use slackware linux, and I'm currently downloading Solaris 9 to either replace or dual-boot with Windows 2000. Most likely replace it. Windows may have the largest user base out there, but even in 2000, the Blue Screen Of Death STILL says hi to me often. I've never used solaris before, so that will be a little different.

I am curiouse... Has anyone who voted Windows ever used an OS other that windows for a significant abount of time ???I have Used Windows for 2 years, Linux for 3 years, and i use Soaris Unix at university,so i feel qualified to say that i think Linux is better.but most people who say windows is better will admit to haveing never learned how to use a *nix OS.surely their vote is simply adding bias to the poll ?

I am curiouse... Has anyone who voted Windows ever used an OS other that windows for a significant abount of time ???

I have Used Windows for 2 years, Linux for 3 years, and i use Soaris Unix at university,

so i feel qualified to say that i think Linux is better.

but most people who say windows is better will admit to haveing never learned how to use a *nix OS.

surely their vote is simply adding bias to the poll ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dear Friend,

i am a programmer as well as web designer based on chennai, India.

I work both in Windows and Linux(RHE). Still when it comes for Customers' needs we have to go for Windows as most of the R.A.D developer tools available are for Windows, and when it comes to the case of Open souce we'll better go on for Linux.

so it is for us to use Windows.

Seriously, i prefer windows. Having used most OS types extensivley (with the exception of Mac OS) Linux and BSD both have there place however with the exception of the mac OS alterations to BSD this is more a server OS than a desktop so that makes it dificult to use for everyday taks. Linux is an excellent platform for desktops at work and by computer literate people however for the basic user it is far to complex. Linux also has the disadvantage of configuration being made fairley difficult as well as being filled with far to much OSS on a default install, how many Shells and web browsers does one user really need?

Man, I guess I'm in the minority here but wasn't expecting it. I prefer Linux, it's so easy to develop for. Using GTK or QT seems so much more intuitive than Win32's API. Plus your source can be compiled under Mac OS X making it a little more portable. I haven't really developed anything under Mac so I can't say anything about that. I also really like how easy it can be in linux. I can write a perl script and throw it in my /usr/bin folder and I've got my new command. I like the non compile options it offers. Well I guess that's enough for my rant.

I prefer Windows, but am warming up to Unix

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right now I have figured a way to use Visual Studio or Mac's BBEdit to code in Unix environment for clients requiring that. I just Mount my afs unix space using a terminal emulator like SecureCRT and then save my work in the Unix environment. I have the IDE open in one window and the terminal emulator open in another. I code in one and compile remotely in another. That way (especially when I use Visual Studio.Net) I get to see the tutorials that come while you type.

I have set up my computer which uses a GeForce card capable of supporting two monitors so that my IDE is open in one window and the terminal emulator is open in the other. So type in the left monitor, Alt+Tab to set focus to the terminal emulator window and compile in the right monitor. So fast, I'm loving it.