xisto Community
rapco

A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del To Get this message when booting the pc

i know copying from other sites is ilegal... and breakes the policy of this forum

in this case, it's also very extendive...

MajesticTreeFrog asks:

What advantages does NTFS have? I am aware that its better for large disk sizes, but does it have any other substantial advantages?

i serahced for less than 30 secs and found http://www.ntfs.com/ that gives a pretty extensive good informatio about nfts sile fistem.. and i also found new ways to get my data back.. still... i can't try them yet, i'm traveling

when i get a chance to use what i read there, i post if it was any good

I think in order to really properly diagnose this problem you have to tell us what the error message is after you changed the disk from the primary drive to the secondary. It should no longer give you the press ctrl-alt-del message. Depending on what it says will determine your next step. If you are able to boot the computer and visually see an icon representation in windows then the drive is plugged in correctly and the jumpers are set properly and the partition is still set properly or it wouldn't even recognize anything. I would suggest you run norton utilities to check this drive and see what happens. You may very well end up not being able to recover these files so be prepared to deal with that fact.It should be one of the following things:1.Access level error (ie windows XP, NT)2.physical error (controller, heads, etc.)3.virus4.program write error (a program encountered an error while writing and wrote over the FAT)In any case running norton utilities and telling more about the error and circumstances surrounding this error would help to paint a clearer picture of the problem. It is doubtful this drive is intermittently working as previously stated or it would work ocassionally. In the event this is a physical error this may have been the case once but the problem has become so severe that the drive no longer works at all.Good Luck

Ploforia, as i posted before... i runned the maxtor hard drive diagnostic software, and spinrite... (i think that's way better than norton utilities).. and the HD is not physically damaged...When i mount the damaged HD on another PC, windows recognizes the drive, but can't access it, it even appear in the bios.. and i put it on the Master secundary IDE port... so it runs windows from the HD prevously installed in that PCThe IDE cables r in place, so is the "master" jumper

rapco:where did you mount your hd? at what windows? i hope it is not win98 or winme, because only Win2k and WinXP can read NTFS filesystem. at Win98 and WinMe, they cant even see the NTFS partition. old WinNT might also help, but i think it's better to try on Win2k and XP instead.

With the amount of time that the spinrite took to run I imagine it rebuilt your Master File Table. I am wondering if there might not be some sort of disk error in the Master File Table. It is very likely that all of the diagnostics programs that you have run could have missed them. The only way to truely find out would be a low level format :) Did you ever give Knopix a try. I can still read the info on my dead hard drive with it. It seems that this a more comon problem than I thought. I ran into a guy today with the same problem with his laptop harddrive. You would think with a problem this comon there would be a site about it or something.

Rapco - I would definitely make sure you 'mount' the drive on a computer running a NTFS platform such as NT, 2000 or XP. Preferably the platform this drive would have been formatted with in order to really rule out the physical damage issue. It sounds like the drive should at least be intermittent, from what you describe. When mounted on the correct platform - if there is truly a physical problem you, I would expect the drive to befunctioning intermittently. For instance perhaps you might be able to read the contents of the drive but have errors when you try to access the actual files or just some of the files.

Well, after spinrite nothing change... and i mounted the damaged HD on a win xp pc, and it was recognized in windoews, only not accesible...i ran a lot of diagnostic programs and they all show the phisical parts are okCould u send me the link to get Knopix, i'm gessing, linux=free, Knopix too???It's not intermitent is permanent!!!!the reason a haven't give it a low density fromat is because i'm afraid i might loose ALL MY SUPER ULTRA HYPER MEGA iIMPORTANT DATA!!!!, for the moment (because my main board was damaged like two weeks later :) i haven't have the oportunity to work on it), i'm gathering data recovery software to try to get my data back!Thanks, and please keep posting!!!!PD: I found a page where they know how to solve this problem, but they charge like 40 bucks... :) PEOPLE ARE WAY TOO SELFISH!!!!altough, if i could get my hands in 40 usd i'll pay them :) and YES, it's very very common, search google and see for yourselves

I have the same problem

what I did

1) installed windows 7

2)found my windows xp 64 bit cd and started to install that, all was going fine it finished prep for installation

3) it asked me to restart my computer and I clicked yes, it did that and then when it came back on I got that error

what I think it is

I think it was an overlap of the OS and it screwed up the harddrive.

-reply by patrick lorio

Happened to me also. This is too much of a coincidence that these errors happened when upgrading to Windows 7, so it must be an incompetent installation process.

Coupled with the abysmal attitude of Microsoft as regards the upgrade paths I am seriously considering migrating away as soon as it becomes a viable option.

Microsoft - you treat your customers, or perhaps you call them suckers, badly and the Windows 7 fiasco must surely rebound on you sooner rather than later.

-reply by Chas C

Read Disk Error Windows 7A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del To

I also am having this problem in windows 7. It only happens to me when one of my external hard drives is plugged in. 

Another "funny" thing is that the installation process corrupted one of my secondary externals (seriously? how does that happen).

I believe strongly that this is windows 7 related. Keep us all updated if anyone finds a fix.

-reply by Steven

error in loading A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del To

I was having the same problem I just unplugged my external hard drive and it worked fine thnks for the input

I had the same problem.  Could pick up the hard drive in the BIOS, but couldn't get past the "read error occured" screen.

I unplugged the SATA cable and plugged it into a different SATA port.  Worked fine then on out.

Good Luck.

-reply by Mike

disk read errorA Disk Read Error Occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del To

I am getting disk read error ctrl+alt+ de;ete message. No external hard drive plugged in. My dvd rom is not booting my xp set up disk for some reason, I am using a seagate sata 500 gb hd. I tried plugging in my 10 gb IDE to try and boot wondows onto that but it doesn't help. What I would like to do is install my xp pro onto my 10gb drive so that I can run spinrite on my sata drive to attempt to restore it.

-reply by Jordan

"A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart"

This has just happened to my computer recently, it is having problems starting up. It can take up to several hours before I successfully turn my computer on. I am running windows xp sp3. And that error pops up. This has never occurred to me before and I have read the posts above.

Some help would be appreciated Please and Thanks.

..//style_images/impression/post_snapback.Gif

-reply by Dušan

Read Disk Error Windows 7A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del ToI'm having this same problem here. I wasn't even sure if it was a motherboard BIOS or a windows 7 message, since my windows 7 language is spanish, and this message is displayed right when the OS is supposed to start loadingIt's not a hard drive problem, since I have a RAID 1 (mirror) configuration and its health status is ok for both drives, so that shouldn't be the problem. My motherboard is an ECS i5.But we have had many recent blackouts due to the chilean 8.8 earthquake about 700 km north of here about two and a half weeks ago. I do have an UPS (FORZA, never buy one of those), but these blackouts are longer than the UPS autonomy and the computer that has this problem is a secondary PC not connected to the UPS data line, so the UPS doesn't shut down this PC.