xisto Community
enterthematrix

Psp Or Ds?

Will you buy the PSP or the DS?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Price is also a factor... I can make you a kick *bottom* game but sell it for $12,000 you think its worth buying?Well anyways with a $400 price tag on that puppy & a starter pack I don't think I will buy a PSP. I myself would much rather upgrade my computer to one of them 64 bit AMDs. I think I would use my computer more often and I don't like the idea of the laser because #1 sony's lasers have always had trouble and #2 that battery life is a b!tch even with litium ion batteries you only get 3-5 hours out of it.Yes it can produce better graphics but graphics do not = gameplay sad to say. Also note at the launch titles the game's graphics are INCONSISTANT. Some might be PS 2 lvl yes but most of what I have seena re not better than N64 type graphics. Also with that $50 price tag per game I think I would much rather get a console title which would generally ahve more content than portable titles (how portable it is with its short battery lif is indeed in question)I myself won't get a DS neither till they cna pump out some half decent titles... For now I will sue my Limited Classic Edition SP & wait for the next Game Boy handheld.

i vote for the sony psp all the way. it has so much feature than the nintendo ds. so much it makes the ds look ancient. its the gadget must have to anyone. probably can do almost everything not just gaming.only the bad thing is, is the battery last for about 4 hours. i read that it would take ages to load a section of the game. anyways the graphics of this product is way better than the ds too. about 2x better! the nintendo is stuck in 64bit and sony is up to 126bit. than double!this my be the end of the gameboy market going down. its time for the sony psp!!!

i think the psp will definately be better than DS. Most people think the psp is pricey but in reality its not. Look at it. The psp itself only cost $200. Sony is actually losing profit for taht. From what is heard from newstand across japan. psp takes 650$$ just to make without any memory stick or umd disc. so if look at sony is personally making you a good deal plus it got mroe features than ds. DS touch screen function is good. but its a waste of technology, after a while u will think that touch sreen is just a waste of cr** feature.PSP-videos, music, pixthe onyl thing and i mean the only thing i think that is a downfall for the psp, is that the memory stick duo is pretty costy.otherwise psp is way better than DS, or the n-gage

Of the console systems I own them all besides a Nintendo GameCube. I could have gotten one on numerous occasions but each I politely declined. Just as I once was a Squaresoft/SquareEnix fanboy I was a Nintendo fanboy as well. I played on Nintendo systems as long as I could remember. I played the original GameBoys and loved the SNES dearly. I even choose the Nintendo 64 over the PlayStation. I kept every single issue of Nintendo power for 4 years straight. Now, what could Nintendo have done to cause such a boycott? They made Legend of Zelda Wind Waker… I loved the Legend of Zelda series as much as I loved the Final Fantasy one. Those two games mark some of my largest steps into gaming, my first console & handheld with had Zelda and Final Fantasy founded my strong love for RPG gaming that exists to this day. The day that Legend of Zelda Wind Waker was released I swore that I would never purchase another Nintendo console product again until such time that a proper Ocarina of Time/Majora’s Mask sequel was released.

Sony as of late fares no better in my opinion. Just because I like a system and the games on it does not mean I have to like the developer. Just as one can like Battlefield Vietnam and look forward to Battlefield 2 does not mean one has to love EA whom publishes it. So as I love Disgaea: Hour of Darkness & Samurai Warriors I have no love for Sony either. Though I do not hate them their arrogance (comic makes me sick. I hold no love nor any hatred and with neither of the two developers holding my bias lets look at the hardware.

Posted Image

If I were to buy one right now which would I get? The Nintendo DS. Why?

Though the PSP has better graphics you will note that from its launch titles that the graphics are fairly inconsistant. Though it is very well capable of near PS2 graphics you will note that not all the games use it because pumped graphics do not come with their vices. For example though both use lithium ion batteries because of the propriatory DVD mini medium the battery life is estimated at 3-5 hours depending wether or not the disk spins at full speed where as the DS has 10+. So it is very well possible the higher the graphics & faster the spin the shorter you can play it on battery and thus the less portable your handheld is. Then there is the price point to consider. The PSP starter pack alone will cost you $400-440 depending which pack you get. Then from there each game starts at $40-50 each. That is about as much as a console game where mind you though it lack portability (not that the PSPs estimated 4 hour battery life is very portable) generally speaking console games can offer more content, better graphics, better online play, and overall more bang for your buck. Yes, indeed the PSP does support the play of DVD movies but it is on their Sony UMD format and thus is simply a promotion for their Sony Movies Entertainment division. Yes, the sony can play mp3s but so can my $30 CD player and my $200 40 gig Creative Nomad (I am sure most of you have hopped on the iPod bandwagon already) and I am sure anyone willing to drop a $500 initial buy for this handheld can very much afford a MP3 player for mp3s and has a DVD player for DVDs. With all these features that are unassociated with gaming next you are going to tell me the PSP doubles as a cell phone aswell a la N-Guage. At least Nintendo offers its backward compatability and a large library of GBA games to play as each of these handheld's library's develops

When it comes to the bottom line the two things that concern me most are the games and the price. $500 is not something I will drop lightly and even if it is cheap that does not mean it has good games. For now however I will buy neither even if I had the money. For with $500 I would much rather get myself a Athalon 64 3500+, Motherboard, a gig RAM and another 250gig SATA drive...

Hmm, I'm not a gamer myself but I would actually buy the DS before I buy the PSP, I've read reviews and comments for both of them, and although I know that PSP is more feature-rich than the DS, I would want to buy them for the pure reason of GAMING, and in that sense I think the DS is more innovative a more fun in terms of the gaming experience, BECAUSE of the touch screen. Games that make use of the touch screen really change the gaming experience, and apparently there are already quite a few that have been touted to have original, creative and USEFUL use of the touch screen. It is not, I believe, a so-called gimmick just slapped onto the DS. Nintendo came up with a good idea, now it's up to the game makers to make use of the touch screen effectively, and those who have make the DS special.As mentioned already, the PSP's other functions like playing music and watching movies is of little consequence to me, I'm already saving up to get myself an iPod and watching movies on that small screen is not what I would use it for, besides the battery won't last that long anyways. So far the games that the PSP has are not the type of games I appreciate anyway, so this opinion is very much catered to me, in the sense I'm more of a "gameboy" game type of gamer as opposed to the "PS2" game type of gamer. Yeah, still stuck in my primary school days.But yeah, I could be biased because Utada Hikaru did a series of really cool advertisements for the Nintendo DS...

I had a look at the back of the games to the DS. The graphics really sucks. And whats the use of a touch screen. Probably none.

I go for PSP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I own a Nintendo DS and Super Mario 64 DS, and I have to disagree with that statement :D

The graphics are terrific for a handheld. Sure, not quite as good as the PSP graphics, but look at the battery life on the PSP. Like around 5-6 hours, as opposed to the DS's 10-12 hours of gameplay. Super Mario on the DS is a blast, and the touchscreen works perfectly for maneuvering the characters. My only complaint is that the stylus is a bit small in my hands, as if it was made for kids or something.

The mini-games are also extremely fun, and make large use of the touchscreen, and playing wireless games on the DS is as easy and fun as it gets. Connects in seconds, downloads within and minute, and you're playing with a few friends. No hassle at all.

I do plan on buying the PSP sometime though, because the widescreen looks cool and, of course, it's the PSP. Why wouldn't I buy it? At least it's going to be starting out with a lot more games than the DS did ;)

Cheers! :D

ignition

I would go with the psp but how will you get your mp3's on it usb or firewire. They should have made the psp with a touch screen though. It is $250 usd bundle with a game I think. They also have accessories out for it.

The DS because of the two screens and the touch screen. It also has cool features like the Picto Chat, and some of the games I really want. I hear that the PSP takes a long time to charge up and even then doesn't last long. From all the bad reviews I hear about the PSP, I will not want to buy it.

Well after the release of the PSP and after having some time to actually play one of these slick machines I am now willing to deem the PSP as the iPod of handheld systems. I am a Creative Nomad person myself and am quite content with my Zen Xtra 40 gig. Surprisingly my Zen is only half the price for a comparable iPod but of course iPods are the latest 'in thing' never mind Creative has better sound quality, batteries, & support. Just as with all apple products with Sony you pay premium price for the Sony name...

fck iPod

Well enough about iPods because this is a game blog is it not? You don't want to hear about my sad existance or my hatred for apple Mac. In the end though it comes down to games. So as though an iPod is neat what use is it if you do not have any music? (iTunes & its Digital Rights Management (DRM) licenses are crap) No matter the hardware if there is not content you can have all the graphics capability int he world but if there are no games to exploit it. Beyond graphics is gameplay. You can have all the graphics in the world and it won't mean crap if there is no gameplay or content. That is unless it is short of a movie, which mind you is really not the game (well... Xenosaga might count as both but that's a whole different thing :)) I can tell you hardware does this and graphics are like this but in the end, at least for me, its the gameplay that matters. Though SNES has very old graphics I still find Chrono Trigger to be one of my favorite games and find myself digging it up to play games like Baseball 2021 or Super Mario All Stars simply because the gameplay is that enjoyable.

Though its the games that matter most $500 is not something I will not drop carelessly without taking all things into consideration and with these latest issues I see upon release I just might wait a year till all this stuff are to sort out if I ever were to get a PSP. With rampant screen issues ( href="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ), Sony's crappy warranties/support, and a first hand account from a friend I doubt I will be getting a PSP any time soon. My friend whose EBgames.com PSP bundle invoice is screenshoted below spent almost $500 and it is not 3 days later that it is broken. His joystick simply popped off and now that particular piece is unusable or at least so much without any comfort.

Posted Image

My verdict is still a nay for the PSP even after a trial run on my friend's (broken) PSP. While I will not be getting a DS either I am waiting for at least another 6 months to see what kind of laser/UMD issues come up with the PSP because historically with its DVD players and later its PS2 Sony has always had issues with first generation products and lasers.

As a joke though Sony claims that the dead pixels ( href="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ) are a part of all LCDs but the DS has twice as many screens and I never heard of such issues. Though I might not go so far as to call the PSP a glorified N-Gage as one friend of mine referred to it as (he is a Nintendo fanboy, forgive him) my feelings are upon the same lines. I am not about to jump onto this bandwagon but rather I will wait and see because frankly even $250 without games is a big step and quite the investment for me...

I like what Nintendo said: "We stress a high level of quality... even one dead pixil is unacceptable"

when the ds came out the psp was at a high price estimation. now the psp is at only 185$ I have the ds only because the psp was priced at 400$ when i got the ds. I really like my ds but i played the psp and had to admit that i liked it more and really like the usb connection. For the ds u can get the gba movie player wich works very well of what i heard and that only cost 30$

But the screen gets messed up in a few days of use!  It has horrible graphics compared to the PSP and is going to be obsolete in a year!  The PSP is going to rock!  AND THE PSP WILL HAVE DDR!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DS F00! The PSPs battery sux *bottom*... i wont go into to much,,, it just sux for a hand held, the PSP is trying to be more than what it should have just been... I have witnessed the PSP lock up on people... the UMD discs = longer loading times... no crap it has better GFX its like comparing a PS2 and a N64... come on... GFX dont always work out... i believe the Dreamcast was better then the PS2 will ever be. DS will have there share of games... and with their WiFi secret yet to unfold... PSP will go back to the sheleves, all for the DS! much better hand held system than the PSP