xisto Community
MajesticTreeFrog

Which Martial Art Do You Practice self explanatory.

I am currently disabled, I have good days and bad days, but I use Tai Chi as a physical therapy. I have done several unusual martial arts over time and still do when I can.I now teach archery to a couple folks at a time as a combat form, not just target shooting. There is a large difference in how you shoot if hunting or defending yourself. I do combat archery in the Society for Creative Anachronisms and study period archery, including Japanese styles.I have done pre-16th century fencing (early "cut and thrust" fencing), not to be confused with the modern sport. Old-style fencing started as a defensive form ("De-fense"=>"fencing). We fight "in the round", not on a strip and mix various styles in a single bout. Period fencing makes heavy use of off-hand parry, either bare-handed or with a weapon or other implement (e.g. sheath, tankard, rubber chicken, etc.) in the off hand. Fencers were taught to always have an off-hand weapon and improvise if necessary. There is a tale of an old fencing master ambushed in an alley who picked up a cat and used it as an (highly effective) off-hand parry.Since my disability developed I had someone teach me a number of fencing techniques for low mobility, including "vaultos" (little dodges) and stop-thrusts (getting your opponent to throw themselves on your blade).I have also studied SCA armored fighting (hand-and-a-half sword and sword and shield) to some degree and worked in fencing technique to create a lighter, more mobile style. Most opponents are bigger than I am, so I had to adapt what I was taught to keep from being thumped. After you have been "spanked" with a long sword, you have a great incentive for improvement.I was originally taught sword fighting by a guy on my campus using "boffer" weapons (PVC piping coated with foam). He had the teaching style of clobbering you continually until you got better. I took a group out onto Lower Pond and black ice at one point to teach good balance and get people to keep their blocks tight and close. Over-extending lands you on your but pretty quickly.My wife and I are currently teaching some new folks the basics of sword-fighting using SCA heavy weapons (rattan) and sparring with bamboo lathes. (Need to find somewhere that sells them...) Even if I cannot fight, I can often correct someone else's style and give them pointers. Even SCA fighting has some elements of sport where a real-life fighting style does things very differently.I took Kung Fu a good bit ago and still practice some of the grappling techniques. I had to stop the kick boxing because of health. I rather enjoyed the form, though, and would have kept it up if I could.I had a few sessions as an intro to Ninjitsu at one point, mostly adding to my grappling and learning good falls. *That* is a fascinating art form. From just a few demos, I can readily see how Ninjas were considered nearly mystical and invincible. The falls have helped me a good deal later on; my knees or hips sometimes give out and being able to hit the ground safely is a great thing.

Oh cool. I didnt see this before when I posted. I posted in the sports section. As for martial arts I am currently studying Escrima and Wing Tsun. I love both. I havent been doing Escrima for long although it fits perfectly with my Wing Tsun training as it implements weapons.