xisto Community
Pokona.com

Speeding Up Common Downloads

lol .. is 2Mb/s really 250kbyte /s ?

i tot it's megabyte ...  hmm .. i really dun think so .. then y r my ISP selling 384kb/s cheaper than 1mb/s ..

i think Byte is the standard unit for bandwidth.

just like international standard unit for measurement is in meters but not in cm, mm or anything else ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought the standard was a bit. It makes sense that they sell 384 kilobit/s cheapter than 1 megabit/s. Or at least it does in my head. Mega > Kilo. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

hey guys, a connection of 2Mb means 2 megaBIT!!!! not megaBYTEand as 1 byte = 8 bit, you should divide your speed by 8: 2000000bit/s = 250 000byte/s = 250kbyte /s
which is just what you get

and 250,00 bytes is not 250kb.

base 2 unit ;) 2^10 bytes in a Kb
in other words 1024 bytes to the kb.

so its more like

245kbps ;)

No you are quite right minnieadkins. The standard download/upload speeds are measured in KiloBITS and MegaBITS as opposed to what most of us think. Thus, the actual download speed in our well recognized KiloByte/MegaByte format would be, what you get by dividing this KiloBit/MegaBit figure by 8.

As you can see it applies to both Kbps and Mbps. According to this, 384Kbps/s would obviously be cheaper than 1Mbps/s

384Kbps / 8 = 48KiloBytes/s

1Mbps ( 1024Kbps ) / 8 = 128KiloByte/s

You can clearly make out from these figures which is the faster connection and therefore should cost more ;)

i dont understand the connection speeds! for example 512kps broadband connection speed is suppose to be fast but the download speed dont even reach 512kps each second! the downloads only reaches about 50kps maximum! why call it 512kps when u only download at 50kps?!!!!

Thats because that 512Kbps (Kilobit per second) = ( 512 / 8 ) = approx. 64KiloByte per second effective download speed is NOT SHARED by you alone and split into probably 100's of neighbouring home.. None of the service providers ever mention that, the particular 512Kbps connection is NOT DEDICATED to you..they just mention their avg. backbone speed and let it off at that - leaving all the subscribers to make whatever meaning they can, out of it :P

By using bittorrent do you mean using a downoad manager like Flashget which splits up your large download file into many 'bits' rather than downloading it in order?I'm not sure how you can downoad a common download using bittorrent.

bit-torrent is P2P.you download a .torrent file, and open it with your torrent client.Then your computer downloads the fileyou want from as many other people as it can find who are also downloading that file.whilst simultaniusly downloading, your computer is also uploading the portion you have to several over people.ther download accellerators just make sumultanius connections to the download server.which generally just annoys whoever's job it is to read system logs, and rarely imporves download speed, unless the server is under high stess, making things wore for other downloaders.

i dont really like bit torrents because its like a sharing thing and for me(ME) its rally slow.i heard its because someone has to be uploading for you to be downloading. and of course uploading for peeple that are downloading are a waste of bandwith and will try to minimise upload speed-wich mean slower download speeds for others.

A family member of mine uses Internet Download Manager (though you have to buy it after a one month trial period), I think it's pretty good, really speeds up downloads.

Yeah they really cheat people who are new to Broadband like me when I first try out my dsl connection they said a couple of times that is I have 512kb connection that will be my download speed and they said to try out internet speed checkers it also reached up to 512 but when I download file directly it only reached up to 80 some times up to 90 kb per/sec so that's why companies cheat newcomers how dare them but hey who could blame them business is business I suggest having a research on the internet connection company that you will subscribe because if you pay big but the service is very crappy like being lost connection like when playing online and you where DC but a few seconds that sucks. so if you want to have a very high speed internet connection PAY for it and also use other OS because Windows cuts the speed thats my suggestion.