xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Stand & Fight

Great Windows Tweaks

If you're really interested in faster performance, there's a couple
of ways to achieve it!
First you've got to do is to look over your hardware.
The fastest CPU you can afford, at least 512mb of memory with
the highest FSB you can use. At least two fast HD, one of them
just to serve the swap file and pure storage!
The fastest ATI graphics card you can afford. I say ATI because
they're proven to produce better images.
As to the tweaking, only registry tweaks should be used!
Tweaking software is just cosmetics that will have the opposite
effect ( they can also bring your whole system down ).
Use windows own settings instead. Turn off cosmetics,
lower the colors, clean your desktop and use nothing as background, reduce software that autostarts ( very few icons in the system tray ),
shut down unnecessary services.
Always keep your drives defragmented!

Pages to visit
http://www.theeldergeek.com/index.htm
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

cheers

if optimisation and tweaks are important to you, you are using the wrong operating system :PIm using Gentoo at the moment, but a few months back, i was using Linux From Scratch, optimised for size and speed, optimised my for Athlon 1.3Ghz T-bird, and all the libraries / binary's were pre-linked....i managed to get it to boot in 6 seconds !!!!!!a 1.3Ghz athlon t-bird, 256 meg ram, old 5200rpm 6 Gigabyte hard disk...LIGHTNING !!!!!!!

u r tweaks may even make the whole system to crash.. So use those tweaks that r acceptable n recognised.. Before using ask someone who has used it before.. if NOT U GOTTA FACE THE CONSEWUENCES. WHEN THIS OS CRASHES

well, i dont mean to crash your party here, but installing tweaks and other windows enhancers is a very bad idea...they install other programs that will give your computer viruses, get information from your computer that you might want to hide (god knows what) and put popups and annoying advertisements all over your computer as soon as you start up...trust me ive been through it and its not worth it! my comp is still loaded with popups and toolbars and stuff that wont go away...

Tweaking your os might prove good for experienced use but for a novice you can end up your system saying check your CPU speed or other that might seem very wierd...ya if you think you are able to tweak BIOS directly .... then I think you can use software to tweak your os and hardware ....

If you want a great guide for tweaking, do not go past the excellent guide found at TweakGuides.com

This is a massive 170 page guide which I recently used to tweak my computer. I can now confidently say that my computer runs faster than ever. The best thing I found about this guide is that it explains what it is doing, rather than just telling you what settings or tweaks to do. That way you can decide by yourself what tweaks you should apply.

I strongly recommend this guide for anyone formatting anytime soon, or even anyone wishing to tweak their current Windows XP.

I use X-Setup . It's got a little descriptive panel and a search function which is a boon for when you remember what you want changed but don't know the exact name!

Using it with "Record Mode" also allows you to roll back changes and if you want to use that particular tweak on another machine, creates a specific .REG registry file which can be merged later on.

the ultimate windows tweak:go download the slackware .iso files and create cds out of them. Start -> Run: format c: /uput the first slackware cd in and restart.fdisksetupand enjoy slackware.