xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rmdort

Firefox Problems Firefox one of the worst browser

I have used Firefox since its first release. The thing I like best about is the extentions. Most of the extensions for Firefox would need a seperate program in IE. I have the gmail log in extension, which is very helpful when I am busy, and i dont have time to go directly to gmail to check my mail. As for sites not opening in Firefox, there is an extension that lets you open any site in a IE window.

Gmail now has POP access. so even without the extension, you can still use your normal "You Got Mail" popup applet thingy.

Best browser is lynx, just kidding. I have been using Firefox since 0.4 or 0.5 and havent had any major issues. One of the things that I like about it is the fact that if you come across a bug you can tell them about it and you know that they will get right on it. I had a roomate that would use IE on my computer and I would have 200+ peices of spy/add ware a week. I deleted the icon so that he would use Firefox and it droped to about 10 or 20. Its not just the fact that its not maintstream(very close to being mainstream), just that Firefox makes you agree to install anything. You may have the files but they are just in temp folders. ps. If you have problems with Firefox load time and run XP put /Prefetch:1 behind the application call in the shortcut. it will prefetch the program and make it load allmost instantly. Only problem is that evry page you had open before will come up when you load the program.

I've used firefox since 0.7 and have liked it a lot. I love this plugin called Adblock, it's amazing. You can block ads based on their URL, you can even block scripts and flash animations, it works great. It's painful to use a machine that doesn't have it now that I've gotten used to it.

Firefox, the numerous amounts of plugins made it god's gift. Some sites will not display without IE (stupid ASP sites) but a plugin that I used meant I could easily pull up IE when needed. I even worked on a plugin to help me bring up Opera, Safari and Lynx. Now I can really see sites at different angles.I have so many plugins installed that help me in every possible way, from web development to knowing what colour was used on a site, even HTML Tidy when viewing sources.This is not because I know the Lead Engineer for Firefox (he was a local, now lives in the states), but I've found that Firefox does more for me than IE will ever do.I know that it may not be for everyone and I don't believe in converting people over, but it's worth it in the end. The more MS realise their browser market is dropping, the more likely they will try to improve this, so just convert over for the fact that doing so MS will get themselves into gear.Cheers,MC

I have used firefox continualy since about version 0.4, i love it it is simple lightwight and all these problems people report have been completley mythical in my experiance. That doesn't mean to say they don't exist on some systems but i am using windows XP with firefox with great success infact i have even taken the libety of migrating my dads PC for him and he hasn't complained yet.On a side note after the vunerabilities of IE6 with SP2 that have been exposed today, i think i will be sticking to firefox for the forseeable future.

On a side note after the vunerabilities of IE6 with SP2 that have been exposed today, i think i will be sticking to firefox for the forseeable future.

lol...

on a side note, after the vunerabilities of IE period, and every Windows version / service pack since 3.1, i think i will be sticking with Gentoo :)

Just like to point out Proof of Concept code has been released today (yesterday for me) against IE Version 6 browser on Windows XP SP2, not tested on other Operating Systems.

The exploit allows remote code execution without user intervention. What does this means? You can run executable code with a series of HTML codes on Windows XP systems.

The problem has been known to MS but they left it for months and still have not released a patch for it, so it was bound to be time that someone released the code to take advantage of this, because obviously MS couldn't find the problem.

More information can be found about this at:

http://greyhatsecurity.org/

Cheers,

MC

Just like to point out Proof of Concept code has been released today (yesterday for me) against IE Version 6 browser on Windows XP SP2, not tested on other Operating Systems.

The exploit allows remote code execution without user intervention.  What does this means?  You can run executable code with a series of HTML codes on Windows XP systems.

The problem has been known to MS but they left it for months and still have not released a patch for it, so it was bound to be time that someone released the code to take advantage of this, because obviously MS couldn't find the problem.

More information can be found about this at:

http://greyhatsecurity.org/

Cheers,

MC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If people are still using windows, then securety obviously isnt important to them, or they are un-aware of alternativs.

ive stoped being surpriused at microsofts abuse of its customers...

MS keeps slaping its customers round the face,, the customers kep giving microsoft more money, singing them praises, and thanking them... its the phonomenon that is Bill Gates... greatest Buisnessman alive.. for the moment,,, GO Torvalds GO !

At my school, the admin just put Firefox on the school network. It's not like its a small school either.(972 students) If it is good enough to be put on school computers, I think it is good enough for the general public.

Strangely enough, I like both browsers although IE is far more usable with a shell like Maxthon. WRT the resource usage being higher with Firefox, I'll agree to that point.I had read once though that the real reason IE was so speedy was because a lot of its core code is already in memory when Windows boots up. That's how it's so tightly integrated with the OS. I mean, you type in a URL in Windows Explorer and the window changes to Internet Explorer! Still, expect the bad guys to start targetting Firefox / Thunderbird as their popularity grows too. It's inevitable.

Nothing will be like IE I am using Maxthon ( uses IE ) to add tabs and stuff and all that stupid firefox features ...Didnt have a problem or a OMG MICROSOFT SUCK problem since agesgo on try firefox ... use it for a month then u will come back to IE as usual .... FIREFOX SUCK !

Nothing will be like IE

I am using Maxthon ( uses IE ) to add tabs and stuff and all that stupid firefox features ...

Didnt have a problem or a OMG MICROSOFT SUCK problem since ages

go on try firefox ... use it for a month then u will come back to IE as usual ....

FIREFOX SUCK !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the facts as we know them.....

IE is painfuly insecure.

firefox is not perfect, however the number of critical securety holes is an order of magnitde lower.

firefox is not integrated into the OS

apart from the icon, average users cant even tell the difference.

so why do you feel so stringly about this ???

i noticed you put microsoft adverts in your posts, do you get commision ?

ill never understand why people brand themselves, like people who wear plain t-shirts with "Nike" written across in big bold letters. like they are proud to be supporting child labour.

anyways...

True, firefox doesnt support ActiveX. but i think thats a good thing, i havent even seen an activeX using site in years. and anythin activeX can do, Java can do better !

emm actualy i am not this supportive to microsoft and i didnt get any commision and no i didnt sell myself ... first off , With all the amounts of OSs threads. . firefox rules .. internet explroer suck .. windows suck ... ie suck ... everything that has MS in it SUCK nowadays ....tho for me I like internet explorer .. never had any problems viewing any pages , tab were welcome when i use ( Maxthon ) and the popup/ad blocker was in maxthon light ages before firefox or sp2 ... the point is i like IE , and I like Windows ... I dont see why would I want to change to something else therefor i decalre my personal like-ing opinion like the millions here putting Gmail / Firefox banners ... why didnt u talk to them ? or this isnt a sell out ? i dont understand ppl anymore .. you just hate anyone who doesn't go with the current ....