xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sydney28th

Which Is Faster? Dsl Or Cable? Which is faster???

In Australia, the majority of servers max out their DSL speeds to 1.5Mbit/s for residential areas. Some large district areas have more though. Cable is by far faster than DSL where I live. It gets up to 750kb/sec download speeds but recently has been slowing down. Now I get around 400kb/sec.

The problem with cable is that the more people in the area using it, the slower the speeds you will get. This is because everyone shares the same pipe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I totally agree. At my old place I had OptusNet Cable, and it was f***ing great! Speeds of around 400kb/sec were the norm, and on a good day I could reach speeds of up to 1MB/sec. Ahh those were the days. But last September I moved house and cable is not available here, so we had to go with ADSL. We've got a 1.5Mb connection, but we rarely even connect at anything close to that speed. According to our line speed testers, the best connection we ever hit is around 1.2Mb... but that's rare. The best actual download speeds we ever get are around 120kb/sec... back when I had cable I'd be pissed off that I was getting such slow speeds, but now I'm over the moon with this connection hitting those speeds.

Here's a screen shot of a graph listing Australian line speeds by ISP. You can see that the two cable providers (OptusNet Cable and Telstra Bigpond Cable) are far superior to the other ADSL providers.

I have never had a cable connection so I won't comment on that part.Currently I have a DSL connection which is prefectly fine. Altough sometimes it doesnt work as well as I would like it to, it gets the job done. I think you should look at the pricing of both and decide for yourself.

People!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't make me green with envy !!Ok so i live in the biggest dump in the world (Romania) here i have a cable connection with this specs:1 suposed 2 get 256 d/l but i get 70 if the sun is heating the cable2 the thing i wander is that i get 300 at u/l ????? not all the time but this does not comphort me3 and i PAY 50 USD /month for this s**t !!4 DSL is only in it's beginings so i can't say squat !!

don't know...i have to work on wireless broadband from my cell phone as my college and hostel is some some corner of bangalore where gettin a phone line can be difficult!! but there are lots of cell towers around so no problem :-)