xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sydney28th

Which Is Faster? Dsl Or Cable? Which is faster???

The cable is faster (usual) and is also better in my opinion. Its not that expensive and has very good options!The adsl costs more and has the same features or even less than the cable network! It also slower than cable...like in belgium you have to pay more for faster internet.

I've been using DSL for the last 5 years or so. From what I've found, in my area DSL provides superior speeds and general connections. At my old house, I used to get top notch speeds (well, for me at least) of around 152K/sec downstream and 43k/sec upstream. Not too shabby. However, in my new apartment they capped the bandwidth to a piddly 12K/sec downstream/upstream combined. Horrible!Of course, my neighbor has a wireless network without encryption, so...And work always provides the T1. ^_^

Wow, who is your cable provider??Here in NC(in the triad), cable is $40 a month and you get about 500k down and 40kup.That is through time warner, and without any uncapping or anything like that. You can get even faster DSL if you are willing to may a lot more money($80 a month) from speakeasy or Bellsouth.If you are getting crappy speeds at an apartment, it may be because the apartment complex leases a business class line and then splits the feeds to all the different apartments. This was what happened to some friends of mine. The cable company can install a separate line for $40 a month, if where you live is anything like here, or you can check with the local phone company about getting a DSL line. 12k up and down is terrible. I would go out of my mind.

I don't really know how good DSL is in other countries, but here in Belgium they definately suck. I have a cable connection and never had problems whit it. Some people say DSL is faster because they increase the bandwith when more users go online, but up to me this is just one big lie. I mean cable users in belgium get a maximum downloadspeed of 4M/s, ok we never reach the 4Mbps but it isn't exeptional for us to get downloadspeeds of 700kbps downloading from sites. DSL users get 3.3 Mbps max, but they don't even get downloadspeeds of 500 in most cases.A friend of mine has DSL and last time I went to him his downloadspeed from a good website was even lower than a smallband connection.

Most pple around here (Ky, USA) use cable. It seems to be the faster for the cheapest amount. Although if u want to pay out the wazoo u can get a fairly fast DSL connection. It seems though that most pple prefer cable. Is it more reliable ?? i dunno.. I usually am in a dorm on a t3...but now i'm on dial up ..poor me lol.. ^_^ someday i will have broadband ...someday :D

Yeah, like some people said, I think it depends on the provider. Like a while ago Cox cable and SBC DSL were really close to the same speed. Now cox made a faster connection which you can buy for more. So if one person had the regular cable, and someone else had the 5 meg cox, they would be different. So...there's a lot of comparing to do.

Also, what's the difference between T1 and T3?? Is T3 faster? if it is, then how? And how do you hook up the T1/3 connections? Is it true and can cost like 300 bucks? Sorry, i'm asking a lot of questions that are prolly not gonna get answered, but i wanna put an end to my confusion. *crys*

To what I have heard, Cable and DSL are probably the saem, but really it depends on your Downsteam and Upstream rate, the bigger they are, the faster your connection. SO that is what really decides it, not whether it is cable or dsl.

The speed of your Cable or DSL all depends on where you live. If you live out in the middle of nowhere probally DSL will be your best bet, because simply the telephone lines will not be as congested as if you lived in the middle of New York City. But if you live out in the middle of nowhere, and you are at the very edge of the coverage area of your DSL, get cable, because from what I understand, the cable speeds will not slow down as much over large distances. It also depends on your download and upload speeds of the ISP.

I'm pretty sure that it would've been said, But just to clarify further.There is 2 different types of ADSL. ADSL 1 + ADSL 2. ADSL 1 is far slower than Cable.I live in Australia and curently we only have 1mbps cable, 1.5mbps ADSL1. This is soon to change to ADSL2 giving us the full 28mbps capability.It all varies depending on how far you live away from the exchange when dealing with ADSL. Although the RJ-11 cables should theoretically carry less data than the cable lines, This is not always true.In my personal experience i have found cable to be faster than ADSL, But there are varying experiences.

I have a DSL 2Mbit(2mbit down and 512kb up)without problems, but my neighbours have a Fibre optical net so they arrive till 10mbit(down & Up), the problem is the internal network, I'm behind the NAT's ISP :)...and I can have a server only with Ipv6 connection..and It isn't very useful .... :)

DSL can theoretically download at up to 8Mbit/s, but that assumes you live next door to the CO and are willing to pay for it, if the telco even offers it. My cable connection runs at 4Mbit/s down and 512Kbit/s up, which equates to a download speed of 500KB/s. Notice that KB is different from Kb. KB=Kilobyte Kb=Kilobit where KB is 8 * Kb. Cox Communications, Inc. for cable has never had a problem with neighborhood sharing slowing down the connection. I had bittorrent topped out at 500KB/s downloading Fedora Core 3 and finished 4GB pretty quickly. It all depends on which you prefer, I guess. ADSL operates like cable, where you have a lot of download and not that much upload. SDSL, which is far more expensive, is usually a 1.5Mbit/s down 1.5Mbit/s up connection, with the highest i've ever seen or heard of being 3Mbit/s both ways. Also, with cable, I can always get full speed. With DSL, the farther away you are, the slower your connection gets (i.e. a 3Mbit connection turns into an effective 2.5Mbit connection.) Around here cable is faster for sure.

In Australia, the majority of servers max out their DSL speeds to 1.5Mbit/s for residential areas. Some large district areas have more though. Cable is by far faster than DSL where I live. It gets up to 750kb/sec download speeds but recently has been slowing down. Now I get around 400kb/sec.The problem with cable is that the more people in the area using it, the slower the speeds you will get. This is because everyone shares the same pipe.