xisto Community
palestranger

Echelon does anyone know more than I?

The CIA echelon project : I have read and heared alot about it. Is it true or not? what are they all able to do? How do they do it and how is it possible? Should we keep in mind it exists?

I have to say I've never even heard of it. I have no idea what it's about or anything but you have me intruiged now. Could you post some links or something that explain it, or give an explanation?CIA stuff is often interesting, but some of the conspiracy theories are really quite far-fetched!

This has been around since 1996, there is a book written about it (the first 2 chapters are online)
Secret Power
Chapter 1: 1984
Chapter 2: Hooked up to the spy network: The UKUSA system

Carnivore is used to track you emails and online actions Carnivore (FBI) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
And here is tutorial on how HowStuffWorks - Carnivore :):)

And there are tools like this used in the private sector to track network traffic on priveate inter / intra nets.

Nils

uhm is there any chance that echelon ppl read my email and tap my phone calls ? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they are international calls/emails, then very much so. Domestic it is still possible, but it can happen. This is part of why smart people only use code words and such to talk about drugs and similar over the phone. Echelon and similar tap so much stuff that using people just isn't workable for anything other than the most important things, so they use keywords and such to flag messages.

Carnivore just got shut down, but nobody should rejoice. The reason it got shut down is because other, non custom built stuff eventually reached the level they needed, so they scrapped their thing and used off the shelf things and techniques. So, the carnivore is dead, long live the carnivore.(damnit.)

Everything can be intercepted and you'll never know if it happens, I've also read somewhere about a project called TIA(Total Information Awareness), I think that now ,only with a click, everyone can be spied, Let only think about internet's _dorsal_, if you set a listener server on this dorsal, and it has a good elaboration power..you can know almost everything...and the Short messages(SMS)? in my country(somewhere in europe :)) we have only 4 big servers to controll this traffic, and if you have acces to it...theoricaly you read all the sms of this country....it's amazing and terrible at the same time...

Dude, if everyone sms'es the same stuff i see my friends sending eacht other. The big bad american spies will die due to means of braindead-ness... (Is that a good english sentence :P:) ). What i mean to say... I don't think that those spy-people care about the stuff normal people do.