xisto Community
prolifik

P2P programs(merged) What P2P program are you using?

i use kazza lite and limewireuse kazza lite for new downloads but with a slow speeduse limewire for all downloads at a fast speed. ^_^

Kazaa is unreliable and just plain OLD, it has the weakest security features ever and it's a source of virii, bad files, RIAA, etc...LimeWire is a good app only downfall is that it's coded in JAVA which can be slow sometimes...but the Gnutella network has lots of contents...Still i'll stick to Shareaza which as i said can connect/swarm/download/upload to 4 networks at a time without any majoy flaws...+ the fact that it's opensource just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside ^_^

well ive tried both kazaa lite and kazaa lite ressurection and i think they both good and there is much of a difference between them but i think that kazaa lite can get a lot more sources a lot faster.also ive tried winmx but it isnt as good as the kazaa programs

I'm using DC++ and I'm definately liking it!!!These are the main reasons: -Great downloadspeeds(ones had 500 kb/s)-friendly community that shares a lot-most users share games and programs as .ISO files so they will definately work

I am using Bearshare and sometimes Kazaa-Lite. But I think that thebest P2P system is BitTorrent. There you are downloading *.torrentfiles, which contains informations about peers. You can download fromhundreds of peers at one time. So I am using BitComet, which is the sameas BitTorrent.

Definatly bittorent if you can find a tracker any more. If you get into close knit comunities the torrents dont die as fast and if youres does die all that you have to do is ask and people will reseed it for you. Aparently Napster is still around because my Physics Prof got a virus off of it and had to format her hard drive the other day.

I had used shareaza for over 2 years,and i love it. It is open source, and searches 4 p2p networks. There are also a lot of features that some of the well known p2p clients like kazaa, winmx,etc... I also like the fact that you can download BitTorrents with it

BitTorrent gets the job done :) Got myself TorrentStorm. It's an excellent client. I don't remember where it's at, so Google it if you want a simply, easy-to-use BitTorrent client. I'll tell you, Bram Cohen is a genius. I predict that his technology will be the basis for most new P2P solutions in the future. I once tried KaZaA Lite and Shareaza, but they created a bottleneck, which is bad if you're on a network. I really like getting whole albums at a time instead of individual songs from different people. That way I know it's not some troll who's sharing his 64kbps song and wasting my time. Generally the BitTorrent sharers are smart people who know what they're doing (you have to have some idea of what you're doing to create a .torrent file).

To any Soulseek users: Does Soulseek create a bandwidth bottleneck when you're downloading, or does it work like BitTorrent? Thanks in advance.

i can safely say i never used kazaa due to the spyware. i use soulseek and emule. mostly for live music videos. im an avid collector(or would like to be) of live perfomances by certain bands. i have only have a couple gigs, but i tend to trim the bad ones out. soulseek is great, and if you cant find them on there i try emule. they usually get me what i want

BitTorrent gets the job done  :)  Got myself TorrentStorm. It's an excellent client. I don't remember where it's at, so Google it if you want a simply, easy-to-use BitTorrent client. I'll tell you, Bram Cohen is a genius. I predict that his technology will be the basis for most new P2P solutions in the future. I once tried KaZaA Lite and Shareaza, but they created a bottleneck, which is bad if you're on a network. I really like getting whole albums at a time instead of individual songs from different people. That way I know it's not some troll who's sharing his 64kbps song and wasting my time. Generally the BitTorrent sharers are smart people who know what they're doing (you have to have some idea of what you're doing to create a .torrent file).

To any Soulseek users: Does Soulseek create a bandwidth bottleneck when you're downloading, or does it work like BitTorrent? Thanks in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah BitTorrent is most definately the most reliable source of quality files. I have never downloaded a corrupt copy of any album/game/movie or anything from BitTorrent. Unlike KaZaA for instance, in which you get those really annoying sounds in the middle of the songs you download. I have downloaded a few full albums using eDonkey, the only problem was it was so slow.

My prefered client is definately BitTorrent, but for some smaller files I use KaZaA Lite, and sometimes eDonkey.

Recently a lot of the good BitTorrent sites and tracker sites have been sued and been put out of business, so it looks like BitTorrent may become useless some time in the future (I really hope not though!). I'm sure most people here know of suprnova.org.. it was one of the sites that was forced to be brought down by the RIAA. Anyway, they are in the process of making a new P2P program with other unknown companies that will work in the same way as BitTorrent. The new program will be called eXeem. They have announced that it will be funded by adware though. Although they did say it will be an optional feature.. kind of like the optional adware feature on MSN Plus! for anyone who used/s that.

After reading this thread though I will definately try out a couple other programs that some people have suggested.

i'm also another bit torrent fan. THe application i use to support it is BitComet. It's easy...i don't have to keep my computer on for long periods of time...and it seems to be very fast and efficient. Only prob is that you can only download albums that are currently at least somewhat popular...

i'm also another bit torrent fan. THe application i use to support it is BitComet. It's easy...i don't have to keep my computer on for long periods of time...and it seems to be very fast and efficient. Only prob is that you can only download albums that are currently at least somewhat popular...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not exactly. I used suprnova mainly, and if they didn't have anything I wanted I would just go into the forums and request. If it was an album request, usually someone will have it and seed it. Music was easy to get. You just have to be a part of the sites forum community. Of course though, some things were hard to come across... and sometimes you had people requesting stupid things, like new games months before their release :) But usually the people are cool.