xisto Community
chunkynotsmooth

Samurai Games There should be more......

I think the gaming world needs a really good bloody samurai game that is up to date. Who's with me?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. If you're looking for some good ones, I'm afraid that your pretty much forced to scout out arcades that still have one of the old Neo-Geo Samurai Showdown games. I think a couple of them may have come out for PS1 but I wouldn't know since I never had one myself. those were some great 2-D fighters that barrowed a lot of from classic samurai flicks. I know I recognised at least two classic characters like Yagyu Jubei (who even has the eye patch like his movie counter-part) and Hatori Hanzo (Sonny Chiba's classic ninja character from the 'Shadow Warriors' TV serials). Everything from the over-the-top blood spraying and cheesy poorly translated dialog is there.

The closest modern counter-part I've found was Soul Calibur II. It's not a samurai game but it is a pretty decent swordplay fighter. It has a pretty unmistakable Japanese animation look and feel with some original characters (two or three samurai included). The graphics and gameplay are both superb.

yes samurai showdown was the good old days when they only has 2-d graphics. but now the best they have is probablby onimusha. i also know another but i cant remember the name of it but it was a crappy one anyway

I always thought the idea behind Onimusha was cool. I love the concept of taking real historical figures like Yagyu Jubai and Oda Nobunaga and placing them in a fantasy interpretation of the events they both had actual roles in. It reminds of a Peter Chung animated series called Reign: The Conquerer. It was a sci-fi interpretation of the life of Alexander the Great.I'm a little off topic, so anyway...

i played some times ago with a samurai game for playstation 2, it was very good game but i don't remember the game's title, maybe onimusha but i really don't remember -.-i'll ask to my best friend who have lot of ps2 game, maybe he can tell my the title =)

Actually Dynasty Warriors (or Muso, the Japanese name) is about ancient Chinese characters, not samurai.Actually there are quite a lot of new samurai games around... just that most of them are only available in Japanese. For example, some years back I saw an arcade game where you play a samurai using a blade... it's called Tsurugi or something. Then there's the very famous Way of the Samurai, as well as several Shinsengumi games by Konami.

I agree with this author ho-heartedly but instead of a nice Samurai game, they should place in a decent Ninja game. The last decent Ninja game I saw out was that Tenchu game. That was more than decent, but it drifted too far from reality to be fun after the 3rd or 5th level.

woops! lol that characters seems me samurai -.- excuse me for my error :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wella ctually if you are itnerested they did make an excelent game called Samurai Warriors and it is an improved version of Dynasty Warriors about Samurai and taking place in medieval Japan. Its good stuff and definatly an improvment over Dynasty Warriros 4. Has more options in equipments, skills, lvls, weapons and adds many RPG aspects to the traditional hack and slash fighting game series.

Good stuff I would reocmend it. My personal favortie in its hybrid genre and oen of my favorites on the Playstation 2...