xisto Community
jwcgator

Google Os? Yay or Nay?

Well, If they are really at it, it something that we all should look forward to! Google has revolutionized the industry wherever they stepped in.Who knows what they will bring into an operating system?With Google's privacy policy, even if security is at risk of being breached, I sincerely do not think that they will breach it.So far they haven't, so there is no need to become paranoid about it here.Operating systems need to be lean, fast and userfrindly. That is the motto of Google wherever they operate, in my opinion.So, I am looking forward to Google OS...Will certainly give it a try...

No. Google knows too much already without them spidering all of my writing and pictures and stuff. I mean, the search engine is wonderful, but they've gotten too powerful. Think on this: You enter your credit card number, address, phone number, etc on some sites. On a GOS, everything you did, including that, would likely be 'spidered' and put into their algorithim locally, if not semi-publicly. Google looks out for itself. I know there's a certain amount of trust we give sites like PayPal and Amazon and such. But even if they didn't abuse it, what about coding bugs? A while ago, you could search Google for VISA credit card numbers. I'm imagining a GOS one step removed from the internet. And if it was so closely linked to the internet, it would be easier than ever for hackers and viruses to get in. And I suppose this applies to everything too, but if I thought about trust too much, I wouldn't be able to function. I already have a deep mistrust of Google, though I do still use it for searching.

57906[/snapback]

Humm, I heard all big company's do "Evil" things. It's about the power of the services they have. Linux is used widely for servers, how many virusses are there for linux compered to windows? It aint like a OS by google is gonna atract hackers to your pc, but you got a little point.

Nay...Google is a great company, with a lot of "programming power"... It make innovations, but build an OS isn't so easy... I think i'll not try it...

I would never have a OS by google, or basically anyone except microsoft because of all the spying, every OS has its faults and spyware get in stealing passwords and credit card details. Atleast microsoft are the more advanced and can provide better safe guards quicker.Plus alot of software wouldnt work on a new OS

yeah, google should definately just stick to search engines, i mean they werent for the mail and its okay, but if they continue pushing it well just get bored with them, they will be like the next microsoft, too much on their hands and too little bug fixes, lol, well anyway i dont think google would at all be great when it comes to creating an os i mean, look at how long its taken linux and the mac to evolve, u may have good software engineers but not many of them could be ready to get down dirty with nativec c lol, i think people underestimate alot of stuff, like creating an os involves a great deal of work, its tough, really tough, and if at all anything we already have enough os's to do with, we are just waiting for linux to overtake microsoft and all will be fine lol. so well google is not an os like company they should just stick to their search engine...

I don't think Google will make an OS, ever.

Everything they are doing (well, except the desktop search), is moving things away from platform-dependandcy. You get a feature filled mail application, platform independant. Search engine, platform independant. News, platform independant.

I think Google are the beginning on a big move away from desktop applications to web-driven applications. And web apps are what Google are good at, I don't see any reason at all for them to go into the OS market.

would be fun, but no thanks. Why you ask? Well, ill give you a few examples:- Google OS would mean a new code, what would mean few programs because 80% of the developers wont waste their time re-creating their programs for a google OS.- Cost: If google succeeds that would mean a lifetime of updates, and that would mean that less development would go into the other projects like Gmail, Google Search and Google IM *crossesfingers*- Market: With the already flooded OS market, it would be unwise for Google to make this big and expensive step, into a market where there is no need for new names, just innovation.There are more CONs I can post here, but I'm getting tired and my head hurts, But I hope you guys get the point.Don't get me wrong, a google OS sounds great, but thanks, no thanks!I do feel this topic is good for discussion. Post your ideas my friends, and prove me wrong, that way I have something to type about :)