xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

200 Ways To Revive A Hard Drive

Does this application work?  How well does it wrk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its not an application..... its a 74 page on how to hit your hard drive !

first page...

How to revive a hard drive...

1 Hit it.

2 Drop it

3 Freeze it

doesnt fill me with confidence.

a while ago i accidently formated a hard drive with semi important data on it. i started searching the web for tools on how to retrieve text files from formated disks.

(for reasons ill not go into, formatting / deleting a file doesnt actually depete the data, just the link to it)

anyways, i was looking for a retrival program, but found loads of advice like this.

the problem was, that it seems to be for very old hard disks.. (you know... the ones that you are not meant to turn off !) and from they usually used names of very old equipment... like UNIX 2, and i386.

i can See how Freesing a hard disk may solve problems like dry solder joints. (electricians terminology)

but this brings into question other things like the Greace used in the bearings.... when greace gets reeeealy cold it goes stiff (or more viscous.. (spelling ?))

also, even in a plastic bag, unless the disk was put into the plastic bag in a comlpete vacuume, there is bound to be some condensation !!!

ALSO... as soon as you take the disk out of the bag and into the machine, then the humid aid is going to condense on the hard disk.

has any1 attempted this ?

i would strongly advise againsed the freezing or hitting parts of this guide.... (but the other section on bios settings and jumper re-adjusting could be suefull)

I think that some of those techniques would be more over damaging your hard drive, shortening its life span, and reducing the chance that you'll recover the data from the drive itself. I always backup my files on my secondary drive so if something like a comp crash does happen, I'm always ready with my files.

HiThere are many software available for retriving data after format you hard drive. They even recover deleted partition.Take a look at http://download.cnet.com/windows/ you will find a lot of program but cost of this type of programs high due to business or security usage.If you are really considering to purchase these type of softwar please inform me I also know some freeware programs to do these type of tasks.Sohail Ahmedsohail4@msn.com

I have an external IMB drive that I've had for a while - it's a bit old, and I'd suffered a power outage once while I was de-fragmenting the drive. when I turned it back on, my laptop refused to recognize the drive (although it was coming on just fine and I could hear it whirring along in it's case). Tried it out on other friends' comuters too but with the same result - even tried it on a Linux system - disk mounts but nothing from there on). I've been looking at trying and sorting this problem out for a while now (since the drive contains about 8 GB of some of my most favourite music - the CDs of which were damaged a while back by a kid cousin). If anyne knows a way around this/ some way to access a drive through some way or the other/ I'd be really grateful. I went down to a hardware guy's place, but the rates he quoted me boggles the mind so much that I may as well buy a new External and start collecting my musc from scratch.

I'm trying to learn how to repair hard drives actually and did quite a bit of reading on this subject. Need to take a look at that acrobat file and see if it's useful...Freezing the hard drive...I haven't personally tried this myself, but read about it many times online. It seems to be a 50/50 percent chance of recovering the data. Do this if all the basic methods fail like connecting it as a slave and it's not being detected.@kaputnik: Yeah, recovering data on your hard drive is expensive, but if the data is really important, people are willing to dent their wallets for it. The logic board on the hard drive might have been fried. Since you can still hear it whirling inside (I hope it's a normal whirling sound also...), the insides where the platters and heads are should be ok still. You will need to replace the logic board on the bottom of the hard drive. This should not be very hard to do. There will be like 5-6 screws on the bottom holding down the logic board there. Remove them and you should be able to get that board out. The tricky part here is not removing that logic board. It's finding another hard drive with the exact same model. It may work with other brands that look compatible, but I don't suggest doing that. I heard cases where it basically blew the chips on the logic board when an incorrect one was installed back. So make sure you get another identical hard drive (up to the revision number on the hard drive) and take out that logic board and use it on this one. Copy all your 8GB worth of data over to another hard drive as soon as possible. You can probably put the logic board back on the hard drive you bought and use it as a spare. I don't recommend using your old one since it was in a power outage before.

The freezer trick is an old trick and yes, it sometimes does work. My theory about this is, that freezing the drive makes everything 'shrink' but not at the same ratio. The heads probably shrink more and thus won't hit the platters anymore (this is only for broken heads).My other theory is that this slows the hdd down thus making it more reliable (just like a CD/DVD-drive, it will read less errors at lower speeds).And to prevent condensation, you could wrap it with foam.