xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
currahee

Did you ever wonder why Airplanes you need to turn off devices?

If you guys wanted to know, devices that emit wireless signals (e.g. cell phones, pocket PCs) can interfere with the plane's navigational systems. Turning on a cell phone or a pocket PC and using them to use the internet or to place a call theoretically can bring down planes. Not a good thing :)

In other news, the grass is green.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol.. Beautiful !!!

so....some1 tuns on a Cell hpone....

the navigation equip[ment (which lets face it should be shilded) gets confused and things North is North North East... and its in a different location...

the piolet isnt exactly going to fly the plane into the ground !

the worse thing a navigation error can do is get you LOST !

they just tell you it will kill every1 to scare you into not sneaking in a quick slashdot update !

Well actually the thing is is that you get lost, you hopelessly fly around with flawed controls and no navigational system and you crashland not knowing where your position is in the world or you run out of fuel and crash in the sea. I think no one wants that =P

actually it messes up more than just the navigation. computers, cell phones, cd players set off high frequency waves that disrupt the electrical dynamics of the entire plane. this particularly applies for older planes that don't have safegards against this release of high frequency waves. so it's not just losing navigation but the whole computer system can go to wack from what i heard. think about missing your landing because some nimrod switched on his cell phone and disrupted the onboard circuitry. hypothetically you could run out of gas, crash and die. there are also several other fairly unpleasant scenarios.

Yeah but then you would think, "wouldnt the equipment onboard already be sheilded from those kinds of stuff?"Well actually newer planes are immune to it. Some older planes are not.

Okay, all devices emit a radio signal, which includes all class B devices which are for home and office use. They emit a radio signal but some devices such as cell phones and PDAs (wireless internet) can emit a stronger signal that can interfere. That's the problem. Gameboys are perfectly fine

I think thata the problem is only in during the landing and take-off, but the airlines dont't want to risk for me, because on the Atlantic Ocean at 35.000 Ft you can do a call? :) if you can tell me how, next trave I'll try :) and if you listen to a plane crash near greenland think to me :P

Not being confrontational but, I understand about electrical frequencies etc so if I took my garmin 305 gps watch onto a plane surely this will omit the biggest interference-lizard