xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrc

PNG

png's are supported by many browser types, such as: Internet Explorer, Netscape, & Mozilla.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do not that IE doesn't support PNG 24bit's alpha transparancy functionality.

I love pngs!  They do take more space than jpg or gif's but they are so much better in quality.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, with the same settings as a GIF they are smaller, and comparing them to a JPEG, with the same quality, they are smaller as well. Although JPEG has a more powerfull lossy compression algorythm..

melanie is right. PNGs are better quality than bmp, jpg, gif, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They aren't better quality than BMPs, though.. BMPs are almost raw data, they don't have any sort of lossy compression, with as result that they are indeed huge, but maintain the original (maximal) quality.

i don't think one should compare jpeg with pngyou can easily png & gif, they kinda use the same method if i'm not mistaken. drop colours. but due to rights & quality, png will be the best option if you have to choose between these twojpeg works different. it divides your image in zones. so where you'll use colours with gif, you'll use detail in jpegjpeg will work best on images that have a lot of colours. it'll even work better if big, simple-shaped zones have the same colour.gif & png will work best on drawings, because those only have a limited amount of colours. so you can use them for icons & stuff.

I like PNG's better than GIF, looks great and the transparency rocks, is a shame that IE for Windows doesn't fully support it...Will make our design work better...Maybe some day...

I think PNG's are the best. The quality of the pics is really great and doesn't change in any of the graphic programs. When I save as GIF in Paint the quality of the pic really changes a great deal wich is not good for me. Yes PNG does take up more space but it's worth it if you want your pics to have great quality.

You did know that the quality changes according to the quality settings you set when you save the picture... right?

And technically, PNG works alot like GIFs.. palette based, that is..

Hi,First time when I did get into PNG was when Macromedia released their first fireworks. I had heard about it from several computer mags, but never used it. It's true that there was many weaks about compatibility at the beginning, but today does I think that it's more than implimentated, and I haven't heard about any problems (without as always MS problems) and the most webservers have PNG too. So if you had an ISP without PNG implementation, then go find some other as I wouldn't count at them at all, tx Xisto who support PNG format..:-)It's only me who might be a little conservative, who haven't changed my images into PNG and use it as a rule. But I would do it in the future, as PNG has the most and specialy animated and transperance, and then can you even replace your jpg's.I think that PNG is here to stay, and then that it might be an question about time when gif would leave us to rest in peace. R.I.P.Cheers!BrgdsJens

I haven't heard about any problems (without as always MS problems) and the most webservers have PNG too. So if you had an ISP without PNG implementation

Webservers don't need any sort of support for the PNG format, ISPs don't need support for it either. By the way, you're seriously confusing ISP & Webhosts here. ISP is the company that provides you with access to the internet. They have nothing to do with webservers.. They're the ones that bring the internet to you, through which your connections work. The only one thing that needs support for the PNG format is the client you're using to view the PNGs, be it your image viewing program or your webbrowser or whatever. And BTW, Internet Explorer has serious problems with handly PNG Alpha Transparency.. Decent browsers don't.

It's only me who might be a little conservative, who haven't changed my images into PNG and use it as a rule.

That actually sounds like a very very bad idea. PNG is to be used for paletted images, images with not too many colours. High/Truecolor images, with many colour variations, are still better off with JPEG encoding.

I heard that PNG is a cross between JPEG and GIF but with an even smaller file size. Nowadays I'm still using JPG for photos and GIF for graphics but I hope to convert them all to PNG when I have time to save space.

JPEG uses a diffrent compression algorythm. It has nothing to do with the PNG one. PNG works in chunks and based on palettes. It's in no way a cross between GIF & JPEG. And it would be a silly idea to convert highcolour JPEG Images to PNG.. as I said in the post right above you.

JPEG uses a diffrent compression algorythm. It has nothing to do with the PNG one. PNG works in chunks and based on palettes. It's in no way a cross between GIF & JPEG. And it would be a silly idea to convert highcolour JPEG Images to PNG.. as I said in the post right above you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK I understand that but what about GIFS, are they on the same compression algorythm as the new PNG format? And is it worth converting all my icons, avatars etc from GIF to PNG? Also should I save future photos that I might recieve in PNG if they are not too colourful?

PNG is definately superior to GIF. And it uses a comparable algorythm, in that way that they both work with colour palettes, meaning, you have a limited amount of colours you can use, and the more you use, the bigger the file gets (which is not the case with JPEGs). PNGs support the transparency GIF supports, and even supports translucency (alpha channels, pixels that aren't either transparent or not, like GIF, but pixels that can be a little bit translucent and u can see the background through).The only disadvantage is that it isn't as well supported as GIF. If you want to use web graphics, it's still best to use GIF, that way, at least you know that almost anybody will be able to see the image. Some old browsers don't show PNGs, and even IE 6.0 doesn't even support the translucency yet.. ¬_¬

dispite it all, I still prefer jpeg over both gif and png. I guess it's just a personal preference though...I just like how the way a jpeg file keeps the 256 colors looking decent even when compressed ^_^

RIP GIF isn't necessary, for as long as there isn't a good alternative for animated GIFS, so, don't weep at it's grave.i do hope there will come a good alternative for ani GIFS, and just as easy to make. ^_^