xisto Community
jcguy

iPod

I dont like iPods. Nor do I like the design. In fact I downright hate it. Might as well get me a PDA with a Secure Digital/Compact Flash memory card which can play music while at the same time do more things than the iPod will ever do.Also the iPod's battery, when the time comes you'll need to send it into apple to get it replaced. Which is a bad thing. Also remember its a Hard Drive. You let that thing fall say bye bye to your music.

Ipods are just great! 40gigs of music**droools** i would surely be able to fill it up, no doubt, but it's sooo huge. and it fits in your pocket even.. i wonder what filetypes it supports, because i'm not mp3's greatest fan...

First off Ipod's are extremely ugly, and they remind me of the original game boy. There are plenty of other brands with more exiting features than the ipod that cost hundereds less. Most even look better. Apple just has the most money, and the Ipod is their top notch project....Marketing.....

First off Ipod's are extremely ugly, and they remind me of the original game boy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<rant type="angry">

WTF? iPods are one of the most elegant MP3 players I've ever seen.

Apple are brilliant at implementing technology and design - the iMac was the first computer with a real sense of style. Sure, PCs are meant to work well not look good, but with an MP3 player it's not so much the size of the harddrive, but the looks. Noone gonna buy an MP3 player that looks like a clock or summin are they.

It depends on your opinion I suppose - personally I like iPods, but am not going to buy one. Why? They cost too bloody much...

</rant>

I have an iPod mini, which I think are far better looking than the big, ponderous iPod. Mini's are good looking, small and light. The special thing is that there is a little hard-disk in it just like ur CPU. Although this is not new, it's certainly well applied. And last but not least there is an excellent battery inside. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying other players are bad, it's just that iPod is good.

The iPod made ground with being the first MP3 player to actually hold a substantial number of songs. Before it, there were flash-based MP3 players that promised a whopping 32 or 64 MBs of storage for MP3s. Translation: those 1st generation MP3 players could basically only hold a CD or two of songs, but cost quite a bit. Big deal. Then Apple enters and with a successful advertising campaign manages to actually show people what MP3 players were meant to be: carry your entire music collection wherever you go. To boot, they could also be used as mini hard disks for complete mobility.While the initial price was high (and still is), the fact is that people associate Apple with quality. A lot of my fiance's student's got MP3 players for Christmas, and not more than a few weeks after, about half of them are either broken or defective. I doubt that would have happened if they bought iPods. Can't say for sure though.With the addition of the iPod Shuffle, Apple will be able to pull in even more market share. I have neglected buying an MP3 player for two reasons: price and size. Now that a 1GB MP3 player exists that can easily fit in my pocket, I'm most likely going to get it.

I'm not impressed with the iPod. Before you start flaming me, let me say that the iPod costs too much. Yes, I realize that they cost so much because of the manufacturing costs involved in making hard disks that small, but for $300 for a 20GB hard drive, that thing better come with supermagical powers. And $400 for a 40GB hard drive? I could buy a new Dell for that price. The pricing scheme is messed up as well. $250 for 4GB, but $300 for 20GB? Maybe it's just me, but Apple is greatly overpricing the iPod mini. As far as the iPod Shuffle, that's a fair price, but considering how much music I have, 1GB isn't enough.Also, I've heard that you can't put songs you put on your iPod back onto your computer. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

And $400 for a 40GB hard drive? I could buy a new Dell for that price.

Indeed. But could you carry it around in your pocket listening to music? Don't think so.

Also, I've heard that you can't put songs you put on your iPod back onto your computer. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

This is not true. But in order to do this, you must first open iTunes, go to edit, preferences. There choose the tab 'iPod'. Then the tab 'General'.

There you see a checkbox that says 'Use iPod as harddisk' (or something similar). If you enable this you can copy and paste all that you want. :) Although the music is a funny order.

-+WARNING+- If you enable the above, beware that you have to release your iPod manually!

its the fact that it holds 3,000 songs nice backlight screen small sleek and sexy... What More do you want?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What more do I want? I can't say that on a public forum... I'll get in trouble :)

wreslur, to get your posts counted you need to contribute a lot more than a one liner. One liners are considered spam.

Put some reasoning behind your posts, then the post count will go up because you need around 3 to 4 lines (300 + characters) to make a post count.

BTW, this is not just for you but for everyone posting here. Keep up the good work and you'll be hosted in no time :P

Nils

For those upset about the price, go check out the costs for portable USB + Firewire hard drives. Now, make em 1/3 the physical size, notice the price increase. Add a screen and controls. Finally allow it to play music(with good fidelity no less). $300 might be a lot of money, but its not unreasonable, provided that you want ALL of these functions and specifications in one product. If you are just looking for a portable drive, then yeah, its not for you, but since when did any of the marketing materials say it was?