xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xelloss

Service Pack 2 of Windows XP Talk about the sp2 of WinXp

i have had SP2 installed for a couple of weeks now and no problems with it. i think it's pretty neat that MS hands out and delivers SP2 CDs for free, especially since i don't want to re-download it each time i re-format my computer.

yeah...i like all those new toys too...and yes the firewall does block out things I prefer it not to...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay... there seems alot of confusion on this site about what a firewall is !

a firewall is a basically a set of rules which decides what IS and whats IS NOT allowed to pass through your Network Connections.

With Normal firewalls, You start off with a Firewall that lets nothing through, then you Add ALLOW rules...

for example my firewall rules for input are as follows...

ACCEPT all ipv4 packets on interface LOOPBACK

ACCEPT tcp packets that are part of pre accepted ESTABLISHED or RELATED connections.

ACCEPT tcp packets to port 80

ACCEPT tcp and udp packets to port 1214

DROP everything else.

this rule will allow me to run any client i wish, but only servers on port 80 and 1214 (webservers and FastTrack servers)

The Reason your frewall is blocking things you dont want to it to , is because you have not set it to allow them !

you have just gone overkill and accepted all packets everywhere.

I recommend, before install SP2, create a restauration point. Sometimes cannot uninstall, and is horrible. The security of SP2 is for babies. What day Microsoft will improve the installation programs? innove innove and... PLAY, hehehe :)

Actually you know what? you guys should head over to Paul thurrott's website and read his article on how to slipstream Windows XP service Pack 2 onto your Windows XP CD so you will not need to reinstall Windows XP service Pack 2 evertime you reinstall XP or wait a long time for XP SP2 to finish installing.Actually I highly recommend slipstreaming, its more convenient and the OS runs much better if its slipstreamed in the first place

Can you allow pop ups by pressing shift or something? I use the google toolbar which blocks most popups and am happy with that. I think I'm going to turn off the new popup blocker as it's annoying me.Also, now Nero 6 doesn't work anymore so I'll have to get an update. They better not charge me for it!

i have windows xp with no service pack installed. i don't even download the automatic updates. it sucks. it makes your computer slower.the big problem with xp and security is that they use internet explorer to browse the internet as well as to browse your files (try typing "c:/" in your internet browser :-)) ie is to much integrated i think. my hint for you all:-install xp, 'cause it's pretty good and very user-friendly-get a decent firewall & virus scanner. zonealarm, sygate for firewall and kaspersky for AV. or take panda internet security, it does both and is really good in staying up to date!!! i liked it a lot, but now i chose for kaspersky & sygate.-get spybot search and destroy to keep spyware of your computer-get http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; it's better & faster than IE, has a built in pop up blocker and blocks most of the spyware. you can choose to open a pop up anyway by clicking the mini-frame in the top of your window that appears when a pop up is blocked. you can add sites to your white list, so pop ups always appear on that site. it's just so much better than ie!

I already ordered WinXP SP2 Free CD (backup purpose) and got it last week even though I already downloaded it (I'm still 56K).I have two computers and installed on both of them. One computer runs fine but the other goes awry. Internet connection becomes very slow on the other computer.I don't know what's wrong. So I just removed SP2 and I'll wait until SP2a will be released. All in all, SP2 is better especially the overall IE and firewall security improvements. Also numerous bug fixes. Remember, SP2 is over 2 and a half year updates before SP1.I recommend you upgrade, if it goes wrong then remove it.

I've been using Windows SP2 for quite awhile now and so far i dont have any problems. SP2 has been known to conflict with some programs that you've already installed so think before you download & install SP2. Also, it's advised that you back up any important files and data before installing Windows SP2. And if you're using a pirated version of Windows XP, better not download or install SP2 coz you wont be able to download anymore updates from Microsoft. =)

Ok... i got a laptop and a pc... my laptop is obvious more powerful in term of performance... and i install sp2 in it... no problem and loving it... i haven install sp2 in my pc becuz i heard 256 ram user will suffer in performance when installing sp2... so i would like to ask for advice...

Well i couldnt tell you, my lowest ram on my laptop is 384. I have sp2 installed onto that and it works just fine. My other computers have more and they also work fine. I would suggest trying it out and just see what happens. The worst it could do is blow up in your hands.

ya... since i get no actually result of of this post... i guess its time to test it out myself... after all... seeing is believing... i was hoping its work just fine... becuz i really love sp2... they did a good job improving it... :) tks...