xisto Community
Troop107-Admin

phpBB2 vs IPB Didnt know what forum to put this in

IP.Board (yeah, it's not Invision Power Board...) also has something hew to offer <_< The next IP.Board version, 2.3.0, will have a completely redesigned skin - rather neat, if you ask me. It is a bit darker than the previous one (which is in use here at Xisto), and also has less images, which will most certainly affect loading times, along with the fact that several code blocks are being written again.

If you would like to take a look at the beta version, it is being used on the official Invision Power forums.

IP.Board (yeah, it's not Invision Power Board...) also has something hew to offer <_< The next IP.Board version, 2.3.0, will have a completely redesigned skin - rather neat, if you ask me. It is a bit darker than the previous one (which is in use here at Xisto), and also has less images, which will most certainly affect loading times, along with the fact that several code blocks are being written again.
If you would like to take a look at the beta version, it is being used on the official Invision Power forums.

Hmm well i have always like IP.Board i always think they have a sense of professionalism in them i have got a version where it has a GNU licsense :P but im going to pay for a new version when i get the money.

Speaking of the devil...

The next IP.Board version, 2.3.0

This was posted approximately three hours ago. And just 40 minutes ago, the version was finally released. <_< Check it out here.

Invision Power Board in my opinion is by far the best forum software. PhpBB and vBulletin are almost the same other then some different set ups and vBulletin is secure. Invision Power Board is real nice. I liked the old version because it was real secure and did not have too much extra stuff. The new Invision Power Board is still real good but it seems like anouther socal/dating network (with the user profiles ect) a little like a new myspace. If you have a choose and lots of money you should get Invision Power Board rather then vBulletin or PhpBB. If you wan't something free get Simple Machines, Invision Free or IceBB not PhpBB because PhpBB has loads of exploits.Thats My Opinion,Sparkx

IPB, is, By FAR the best BBsoftware out there. Ive been using it since 1.2 and would never think of moving to anything else. Support and ipsbeyond are WONDERFUL and although the new pricing is harsh, I love the look and ACP. 2.3 has a redesigned ACP and it is very well improved. :P Its a shame this forum has not upgraded.

It's not that simple for Xisto, because there are several modifications, some o which are crucial for the hosting. Of course, I am talking about the crediting system. It has to be modified with every new upgrade, along with the other modifications, so it is not as easy as it looks to upgrade :P

IPB is the second-best forum software I have ever seen (vBulletin is the number one, none of other softwares WILL best it). Even though it takes some time to customize the forum but once you have done, what you get is awesome.phpBB is known for a lot of security issues (other free forum softwares are much more secure). Also, the mods for IPB are extremely good, they can integrate nicely with each others too while phpBB's can't.IPB is your friend if you have enough money to afford it.

IPB is way better then PhpBB. It is easy to navigate in my opinion and takes more then just mysql inserts to hack. PhpBB has had it's main site hacked. IPB may not have as much stuff as PHPBB (as in mods) but it has what most people need. If modifications meen enough to you that you are willing to put your forum in harms way then you probably shouldn't be on the web. The way I see it is I would rather have a smooth running forum with few mods then a jam packed forum with every mod, but is easy to hack. You should probably compair IPB with vBulletin rather then the free PhpBB. They seem more like competiters then phpbb and IPB do because vBulletin and IPB both cost money. If you wanted to compair free you should compair PhpBB, Invision Free, IceBB and Simple Machines.Thanks,Sparkx

i prefer phpbb..it's free and secure! :)and i can add a lot of skins..IPB it's more dificult and you have to pay everything.. =/IPB sounds good when it's registered.. but it's too expensive.. for me.