xisto Community
sheepdog

One Really Huge Mess

Well, I have had quite the week. Started off Saterday with an out of state road trip to purchase a new dog. Aside from a little rain that went pretty well. Dog seemed calm and contented with us, we just had him loose in the back of the car. He has to be quaranteened for some time before I can put him in with my dogs to assure he is healthy. We got home near midnight so I put him in a pen in the new kennel building that I'd allready gotten prepared for him. Early sunday morning we headed out to the swap meet and did some shopping in the big city, I was in need of several things, a new shop vac and a bucket of Thompsons Water seal. (Had I known how much of that stuff I was going to use over the years I would of bought stock in the company!)

By the time we got home from shopping I was dead tired and decided a nap was in order. Was sleeping pretty sound severa hours later when the neighboor called and said 2 of my dogs were under his car and were trying to bite them when they walked by. So we drove over there and found 2 of my renter's pups under their car. So we drove on down to his place to see if he is home, which he wasn't, and while we were turning around the front wheel of the car dropped off in a hole and we got stuck. Poor hubby had to walk all the way home to get the tractor to come pull us out. In the meantime I was checking out the renters trailer. I'd heard a rumor he was going to move out and I found the electric meter had been pulled and I had a pretty good idea he was leaving. I was just sick about the place. The weeds in the yard are nearly head high. And there is so much garbage thrown around that you can't even put a foot down on the ground without stepping on garbage. I looked in one of the broken windows, didn't go in, but you couldn't even see the floor for garbage. There was a mattress down on the front room floor and there were cats laying all over it. Never saw anything so nasty in my life. How in the hell can people live like that? The husband in the home has only been working for a few months, besides the part time work he did over here to pay his rent. Even the days he worked here he never put in more than 3 hours at a time. The wife does not work at all. They have 5 kids. And I can very well tell you, if I kept my dogs in a kennel that looked as bad as that house did, I would be in jail. Yet they can raise children like that? What in the hell is wrong with people? I understand that children are messy, but there is a big difference between a place being cluttered and being downright filthy. Might be different if they both had jobs and were at least trying to work for a living, but they aren't even doing that.

I called him and finally after 2 days heard back, yes, he is moving and he said he would come back and clean up the mess but honestly, I am not holding my breath he will do it. I sure as hell hope so, because I wouldn't even go in the place, I'm allergic to cats, it would kill me. Not only is the place trashed, he left his dogs and cats there too. He said he comes out occasionally and dumps out a bag of cheap dog food for them. I did see some dog food spilled out on the driveway, but it had been partially washed away by the big rain we had and of course, it was wet and will soon rot or spoil. He said he was going to turn them over to a no kill shelter, and asked if I wanted the dog he got from me and her 2 pups so I said I would take them back, they are Komondors and have no place being in an animal shelter.

So, last night I was waiting on some customers to pick up a puppy, and I was trying to figure out the best way to bring the 3 dogs over here. So weird, when I came up to the house to get something, one of the pups was just laying there on my front porch like he belonged. I thought that was pretty strange, how he just appeared like that. I gave him some food but when the people came to look at the puppy he was all over them and since he is a flea bag I had to go move him away from them so my pup didn't get all full of fleas. I gave him a good bath this morning and we have fixed a place in the barn to keep him until he decides that this is now his new home. I went over to see if I could get the other pup and the mom, but couldn't find either one. Hopefully they will turn up soon.

With everything else going on it was monday morning before I had a chance to mess with my new dog again. I took him down a hot dog for a treat and when I went up and started talking to him he actually started growling at me. Surprised the heck out of me! This is totally out of charector for this breed. I left him the hotdog and decided to try again later. Once again he started growling at me. I just couldn't believe it. There wasn't much else I could do, I have to be able to handle him, so I just went in with him anyway and started petting him. He didn't really stop growling, and jerked his head back when I petted him but at least he didn't bite me. For which I was glad, he is a large dog, about 85lbs and could of taken a fair sized chunk out of me. At any rate, he was much better this morning, he didn't growl at me when I went in to pet him, so we are gaining on it anyway. I guess he was just freaked out the first day.

Needless to say it's going to be a crazy time for awhile around here. 2 more half wild dogs to catch and bath, another tempermental one to tame, and that's on top of everything I have to do every day anyway. My big worry is that mess next door, and if the guy will come back and clean it up. I have all I can do here trying to keep this place looking half way decent.

sounds like you have plenty of work to do Sheepdog, and hopefully the filthy bas****s come back and clean up after themselves sorry for the language btw,

be careful with the dog encase it does bite you.

I was just sick about the place. The weeds in the yard are nearly head high. And there is so much garbage thrown around that you can't even put a foot down on the ground without stepping on garbage. I looked in one of the broken windows

I took him down a hot dog for a treat and when I went up and started talking to him he actually started growling at me. Surprised the heck out of me! This is totally out of charector for this breed. I left him the hotdog and decided to try again later. Once again he started growling at me. I just couldn't believe it. There wasn't much else I could do.

There are some homes that are neglected because there's a single parent who works two jobs or because both parents work overtime but when you have one of the parents who is a stay-at-home mom, the house ought to be more habitable on the inside, if not on the outside. Even in that case, they don't leave garbage lying around, though they may let weeds and thorns block their home from the outside world. When one speaks of a neglected lawn, don't you imagine a fairy tale in which the bushes and weeds keep everyone out but one day a prince comes and they just part and give way for the prince to enter, the prince meets the princess-to-be, and they all live happily ever after (after hiring a cleaning crew, gardener, and a home renovation contractor!).
Dogs that have been abused can have a bad temper, which is why many dog breeders recommend owning a puppy instead of adopting a dog. BTW, everyone speaks of having plenty of space for a dog to move about, so there was this farm with loads and loads of space and they adopted a dog. The dog was quite active and seemed to take well to the environment. One day, a calf fell down a shallow excavation pit (probably used for growing rice) and the dog tried to pull it out by its ear, causing injury with the ear lobe tearing. The dog was then kept away from the farm animals out of fear that it may cause them more harm. Finally, the dog met its end from a snake bite. The incident seems to indicate that perhaps a duplex apartment is a better place for a dog than a farm or even a house with a lawn and backyard, unless they breed mongeese (or is it spelled mongooses?) to keep the snakes away. Or perhaps even a pack of attack ducks instead of mongeese, assuming that the dog doesn't decide to make a meal of them; cats tend to prey on chicken but I'm not sure if that's the case with dogs too.

Well, things aren't really going a whole lot better. My new Sheepdog decided to try to take a chunk out of me when I tried to give him a dose of wormer. Fortunalty, I'm fast and he's not. And now he lays around on the inside part of the building, so unless I get down on hands and knee's I can't even reach him to pet him without crowding him, which I'm not really willing to attempt. He is one weird dog. I've owned a LOT of sheepdogs in my life and have never seen one as goofy as he is.

The former tenents did show up and do a little cleaning this weekend. I haven't had the stomach to go look and see what they did manage, but I'm told it has a long way to go by someone who was brave enough to go look. The trailer needs probably over $200 worth of new window glass put in it. They did board over the front door so you can't see how bad the insdie is now. I'm sure there is a lot of the sheetrock walls that need replaced, I saw 2 or 3 holes last time I did look in, and I'm sure the floor is rotted out in places. I suspect the plumbing is shot too.

Sadly, the 2 dogs I really did want are gone, no where to be found, I've checked with all the neighbors and no one has seen them. I have a bad feeling a neighboorhood thief picked them up. Guess I need to find out where he lives and go see if they are there. And of course, the 2 mutt dogs are still there, and all those bloody dang cats.

So I called him yesterday to see when they are coming back to clean and he started giving me this song and dance about how his back is hurt and he can't do much bla bla bla, maybe in 2 weeks when the kids go back to school, and I have never in my life met anyone who had so many excuses for everything! Just one damn excuse after another, by the time I got off the phone I was about to burst into flames I was so pissed. You know, absolutly nothing is that poor guys fault! These people give trailer trash a bad name! What really worries me is that they have 5 children that will probably grow up to be just like their parents. It's just so sad. I told him I had someone interested in renting it but they would't touch it until he cleaned it up and I couldn't wait for 2 or 3 more weeks till school started for him to get around to it. I tried to be civil, but I was probably not very nice about it at all. I sure didn't feel like I had any real obligation to be nice to that jerk anyway.

Amazingly enough I have found someone desperate enough to want to rent it if we can get it cleaned up. I'll have to give them several months free rent, and spend a small fortune getting it fixed enough to be liveable, but that's better than letting it sit empty and having someone tear out all the walls to strip out the wiring to sell for scrap metal. Actually, I have a new hired hand, my long time employee just went on one too many drug binges and quit, and this time I had had enough of his garbage so I didn't take him back like I have the last several times he's done this. (by the way, he is the father of the worthless renter, so I know worthlessness breeds true.)

Thanks to all for listening to my rant. It helps a little to have an outlet for it, other than going and beating the crap out of the guy. It's a rainy day, I sent hubby away to go buy me some new tires for my 4 wheeler, so the house is quiet, I am too tired from a hard day yesterday so it's a perfect time for posting here.

the house is quiet, I am too tired from a hard day yesterday so it's a perfect time for posting here.

...and it is also a perfect time to watch some episodes of Buffy, like you always wanted to. Or was it Charmed? It's either one or the other, but it is bound to get you hooked and you will want to watch the whole series after you have watched the first couple of episodes. Prison Break is another series that will have you wondering about what is going to happen next, but I'm guessing you have already watched it. Prison Break had a greater appeal because the protagonist is a male rather than a female, as is the case with the other two series.

Yes, Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes would be nice right now, if I had the time to spare watching TV. I am happy about one thing, they finally brought back episodes of Farscape, one of my all time favorite Sci Fi Shows. I love all the Star Treks too, but Farscape is so cool with it's totally different story lines, a completly different contept than Star Trek. That's about all the TV I get to watch right now unfortunatly. And they didn't put it on until 10 pm, which messes up me getting up early, which I really need to do right now. Need to start my fall dog shearing, and it is still way too hot to do that later in the day.

The more we dig into that dang trailer over there the worse it gets. We have a mountain of trash piled out frount, I literally mean a mountain, and it has been too dry now to set it on fire. They have been inside cleaning with scoop shovels the trash was so deep. Got all the trash out and now they are shoveling broken up sheet rock where holes were knocked in the walls. When we took our final count, there were only 2 windows in the entire trailer that were not broken! I dread to think what the plumbing is going to be like. Idiot had a frost proof hydrant sticking up threw the bathroom floor to fill the bath tub. A lot of the floor is going to have to be replaced where it has rotted out. I am beginning to wish I'd just tossed a match in it and walked away, would of been cheaper to go buy another used trailer somewhere.

I let the new kid move into what I call my pottery trailer, it's the trailer I lived in before my father passed away 23 years ago, I have left it stay empty for the last several years since the last renter I had pissed me off so bad. A friend of mine and I were going to set it up to make pottery in, we had a kiln and wheel and all that stuff, but then he moved away so that sort of went down the drain. I'd still like to do it though, if I could ever find the time. I also planed on using it for sign painting and other craft projects that I really can't do around here because there is no place I can leave something set up to work on where it wount get messed up. I don't have a lot of spare time for that, I can just work a little while at a time, so the trailer would of been perfect for those short periods when I can (and need too) sneak away from this place once in a while. But now the problem with that is it also needed a little work done on it to make it liveable. Mostly plumbing stuff, and it was a sight cleaner than the other one so they just moved in it till we could get the other trailer fixed. Unfortunalty, fixing up both places is about to bankrupt me.