xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrdee

Any Techies Familiar With Print Servers?

Hi,

I have a networking USB 2.0 print server, which connects to the router with an Ethernet Cable, and to my Samsung CLP-300 Colour Laser Printer via USB.

I have used it successfully for some time (after a bit of toil to set it up using a TCP/IP port) on 3 machines running Windows 7, but for a few days now, I have tried to set it up on my new laptop running Windows 8, and I get to setting the software up, but then, all of a sudden, the software tells me there are no USB devices found, mind you, it will be a coincidence about the new laptop and Windows 8, I guess, as the same happens on the other machines as well.

The funny thing is, when I disconnect any of the cables (Ethernet or USB) from the print server box and then put them back, everything acts normal again for just a little while, only to stop recognising the printer again.

I know I am not giving a lot to go on, but that is about the only information I can give out myself.

As far as I am aware, the PS Box did not get a knock, or did not fall or did not get stepped on, I also tried a new Ethernet cable, to no avail.

Does anyone recognise what I am writing here from personal experience, or does anyone know whether it would be the box or the router that has a problem?

Like I said, the PS box itself is only a few months old.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

I thought I saw your post and replied to it, but maybe it was a different thread or a different printer or my post was lost somehow.
As long as the printer server is accessible on the Windows 7 computers, it should be accessible on the Windows 8 computer too without a reboot (unplugging and plugging it back in). Also, the Windows 8 computer should not be indicating that there are no USB devices found when selecting a network printer because it would be accessed over the Ethernet network so providing it with the IP address of the print server and the printer shared name should get it working. You may be able to list the shared directories using the IP address or connect to the print server using its management interface (most likely a web page) to figure out what the printer name is.
BTW, out of curiosity, what does the printer server box look like? Can you post a picture of it to this thread?

As I know, printer server is a device that connects printers to client computers over a network. It accepts print jobs from the computers and sends the jobs to the appropriate printers, queuing the jobs locally to accommodate the fact that work may arrive more quickly than the printer can actually handle it.

Jerry,
Yes, that's the kind of print server Mr.Dee was looking for help with. In recent years, the WiFi routers that I've used have a USB port and double up as print server but in the past we had devices that were slightly smaller than external modems and were dedicated print servers.
The link that you have posted is to an article that mentions about a programming solution whereas Mr.Dee was looking for help with setting up the printer in Windows as a network printer i.e. without having to develop custom software.