xisto Community
iGuest

Integrating An Old Laptop Into A Car

I have an old Asus EEE PC (1005PE I think) and I've been considering integrating it into my car. Why you ask? I'll run a GPS on it, while also getting real time MPG, Engine temp, and all that fun stuff. If I get one of these (diagnostic cable/software) along with one of these (laptop GPS Unit). I want to "hypermile" in my 2001 Civic and also get GPS/real time weather. Has anyone done this? What are some things I should consider? The issues at hand now are placement (its a manual), and power (a nice 8 hour battery life, but I often drive 16hr+). Every time someone asks a question like this people respond "why not just by X?" or "this is silly, dont do it!". Ok ok, dont waste our time with assessing my plan, I'm just looking for help executing the plan.

To power this laptop, I would use a 300 Watt 12 volt inverter to produce some AC 120 volt.I have one in my vehicle to charge my laptop and phone.Works great and found it on sale for less than $30 a couple of years ago.They are likely cheaper now.