xisto Community
mrdee

Hello Everyone

I've always wondered - paediatricians and dentists usually have candy in their offices and hand them out to younger patients. Isn't that a kind of a marketing ploy? Sure, they may know their stuff, but they're trying to create an environment where the younger patients would be more welcome and the parents would be less likely to take the kids to places where the kids don't want to go. There are some waiting rooms where they have toys and a play area for the kids too. Those certainly seem like they are appealing to the kids, something along the lines of a breakfast cereal placing toys in their television commercials in an attempt to influence the most vulnerable demographic. They may be well within their rights because it is legal, but is it ethical? Well, it may be border-line ethical because they aren't reaching out to the kids and presenting them with candy and toys - the kids are walking into their offices when they are ill, need a routine check out, or need vaccinations. Pictures of stuffed toys in brochures for vaccinations that are handed out at schools or to parents could be a bit unethical. No toys or candy would be ethical, but shouldn't they be allowed to provide some comfort to the kids too?

LOL, I can understand your concerns about dentists especially handing out candy, since it supposedly rots out kids teeth! But you train kids a lot like you do dogs. Bribe them with a cookie and they will do just about anything! :-)

I have noticed in several doctors and dentist's offices they have small play areas for children. It's probably a good thing as best as I can figure. Kids are full of energy and need something to occupy their time with. Without a distraction of some sort they would be running around screaming and driving everybody else crazy.

This year, some dentists' clinics have been doing the exact opposite of the giving-out-candy strategy that some dentists employ. These dentists take candy from the kids! No, I don't mean that they yank away the candy by distracting the kids. I mean they literally hand out cash, tooth brushes, and balloons in exchange for the candy that the kids turn in on Halloween. The dentists then send the candy to the military as a way of thanking them for risking their lives to protect those of others. The kids actually seem pretty excited to turn in a pound of candy for a dollar in cash despite candy being the most attractive bit about the celebration of Halloween. The dentists also hand out healthier goodies to the kids, promoting better dental health within their communities.