xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gyminsight

Who Agrees With Me That Businesses Must Be Clean In Order For Us To Spend The Green?!

The worst place to find filth has to be in a restaurant, especially if you don’t figure out the place is filthy until after you’ve already finished your meal. I would argue that the second worst place to find filth is in your gym! If your gym has a restaurant or juice bar in it you get a double whammy.

As a small business owner, I know customers or members are willing to forgive for a lot of things including a small facility, or old equipment, but they will never forgive you for an unclean or unsanitary workout environment. I’m harping on this because this is the low hanging fruit. No matter your resources or your budget, you can improve the cleanliness of your gym today and I promise that your members will notice. Do you agree that this is one of the biggest issues to retain customers or members?

I want Insight!

https://www.gyminsight.com/

Yes, I agree with you completely. And it's not just limited to gyms and restuarants. Any business you enter should appear clean at the very least. As you say, old equipment is excuseable, new stuff may be expensive, but soap and water are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!! There is no excuse for a dirty business of any kind. If you don't have enough pride in your place to keep it clean, how can you expect any customers to enjoy coming in and spending their hard earned money with someone who doesn't appear to give a hoot about how the place looks?

Dirty business really make customers bounce back. They ponder over whether its really worth to spend time in such a restaurant or gym.Businesses only care about the incoming customer flow to maintain their turnover at a steadily increasing rate so if we do want to restrict any business to flourish if they don't care about cleanliness its certainly in the hands of customers itself to do so.

I have seen fast food outlets in India where the premises are not clean but they get customers because of the taste of their products or because of their low prices. Dominos pizza in India typically has the image of being the go-to place for pizza. Their prices are high, their tables are usually greasy, their outlets usually have flies bothering customers, they do not provide table cutlery or plates (it is provided as a take-away packaged in a cardboard box with oregano and chilli flakes except they don't put it in a bag if you are an eat-in customer), but people still eat-in or order take-out. In fact, Dominos pizza is more of a take-out pizza outlet that provides tables and chains - the customers have to walk up to a counter, place an order, and take their food back to their tables (although sometimes there is staff that helps take food back to the table when it is a slow day for business).On the other hand, there is McDonalds, which is almost spotlessly clean. I do not really think McDonalds has higher sales than Dominos despite McDonalds charging less than Dominoes does. How does that logic work? Beat me, but is human behavior so it is meant to be irrrational and characterized by group-think. Perhaps it is because I am comparing apples and oranges. The demand for pizzas perhaps outweighs the demand for burgers. Or perhaps the appearance of the filling on the food gives a better sense of satisfaction than when the filling is covered by bread. In either case, both Dominoes and McDonalds have spent heavily on marketing (primarily television commercials for advertising their products) so it is unlikely that it is the advertising that accounts for the difference.If you were to compare two different fast food pizza outlets, Pizza Hut most likely does better than Dominoes. There are times when you would be hard pressed to find a table at Pizza Hut but you know you can always get a table at Dominoes. Pizza Hut's prices are at-par with Dominoes so there's very minimal price difference there. Pizza Hut does, however, offer at-table service which is what probably accounts for most of the differences in demand between Dominoes and Pizza Huts sales but it is difficult to tell conclusively because we do not negate the effect of the cleanliness maintained at Pizza Hut in comparison to Dominoes. Also, Pizza Hut does not advertise as much as Dominoes does so that is another factor to consider.Comparing two different outlets from two different fast food chains is difficult unless they have the exact same rating for the flavor, they have the same type of product, they have the same type of service (i.e. server-at-table versus self-service at a counter), they have similar levels of cleanliness, and they spend roughly the same on advertising. If all the factors are the same, except for one factor, it is possible for us to compare the two outlets to determine the effect of that one factor. In the absence of such an ideal case, it is difficult to determine if that particular factor is responsible for the difference in sales. Then again, there's the feeling of nationalism or the feeling of the superiority of a foreign brand so even with all things being the same, the brand perception can influence the findings too.

I haven't had that much experience with dirty stores, although there are a couple I've had bad times with... pretty much every time I go there:1) Big Lots -- this is a close-out warehouse-type store, for those of you who don't know. Maybe that's why it's so dirty though...2) Wal-Mart -- both stores near me are horrible. Sticky floors in the restroom, usually tons of things misplaced... just really turns you offLuckily I haven't had problems in any restaurants.. yet!

I completely agree with that. I don't know where you're from but where I'm from, there is this governmental department for sanitary issues in restaurants, and they are very strict. I mean they're closing them left right and center. as for gyms, cleanliness is not a big issue here, it's the type of people you have to work out with. That's why there are these "elite" gyms here, whose subscriptions are not cheap given the average income, but you get what you pay for.

I completely agree with that. I don't know where you're from but where I'm from, there is this governmental department for sanitary issues in restaurants, and they are very strict. I mean they're closing them left right and center. as for gyms, cleanliness is not a big issue here, it's the type of people you have to work out with. That's why there are these "elite" gyms here, whose subscriptions are not cheap given the average income, but you get what you pay for.

I'd think all gyms do a lot of cleaning. You're messing with equipment that a lot of others before you have touched (no idea where their hands have been) and sweated on. I can't see any reputable gym not keeping things clean. From a sanitary point of view, they've gotta be one of the worst places in terms of bacteria and stuff.