xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ritu

Are People Losing Faith On The Legal Machinery

In almost every country, there is a system that takes care of the law and order of the country, the citizens in general are supposed to abide by the laws of the country and if they are found to go against the law, they become punishable by the law. We all are aware of the reason why these laws have been formulated, for the smooth functioning of a nation which can only happen if all the citizens are able to enjoy their share of rights and they even they let others enjoy their privileges.As we know that there have been and would be cases when the set path is not covered, people tend to deviate due to various reasons, so the need for the intervention of the custodian of law and the courts of law are indeed regarded as the protector of the law. But why does it appear that the seekers of justice often get frustrated while dealing with the case. In essence, it is not the case but the trauma that it brings when the people waiting for justice to be delivered, have to got through a phase where their psychological, physical and financial strength is tested to its fullest.The cases that are filed in a court are often found to stretch across a period of several years, and even after the verdict is passed, the accused again appeals for his innocence in the higher level of courts and again the whole process needs to be repeated. The complainant or the individual who brings in the suit to the court, then is compelled to regret the decision of letting the court know about the wrong done to him, and is made to feel that it is all his fault. The lawyers on both for prosecution and defense keep on earning and at times do indulge in a bit of manipulation so that they continue with their earnings. The courts and the judges keep on changing with every session and end up becoming the some remote entity who is hardly interested to listen the pleas of the seeker.The time consumed in all these kills the plaintiff's want for justice and detaches him from hope. Moreover, he is much drained of with his financial resources. The same fate that one has to meet while demanding justice makes many people nowadays avoid pulling up their grievances to the courts of law.One thing is for sure that such loopholes are degrading the basic structure of any country that is democratic and the faith of its citizens on the the judicial system is being lost with every passing day.This issue is a serious one and ways have to be devised to bring everything back to order.I hope to receive replies with some ways that can relieve the commoners from the pain of waiting for justice and losing all hope.

you are protected under the law so you should keep to the law even if you do not agree with the law as enacted.but you can change the law if you support someone in an election who supports your views and if they get the support of people of like mindthe law can be changed. or signing a petition, marching in front of your government buildings (peaceful of course), contacting your member of parliament.

You loose faith on legal machinery or not irrespective of that we come knocking the door of legal machinery in every circumstance as that is the only way thought to be legal/valid with respect social terms. Taking arms in your own hand and create self ruled organizations is another way out. But that creates chaos all the more but may be someway or the other way the disrespect and disbelief in our judicial system is responsible for common mass to hold on to arms and ammunition in their hands and genesis of groups like Maoists have come to origin.In our present system we can easily witness apart from Government,legal machinery a third autonomous body is also cropping up in every nook and corner of the country in the name of terrorist groups which are someway or the other way are originating due to the lack of support provided by the other 2 pillars of our system in the name of Government and Legal machinery to common innocent mass.In present times this third body is slowly acquiring so much power in its hands that its trying to overpower the government and making the government appear as a puppet government whose actual reins are in the hands of a group not at all elected democratically.

Edited by Ananya (see edit history)

I don't think the legal machinery is better or worse then it ever worse. The problem is in the society not actually in the court. The quality of the justice system has gone down with the quality of the society in general. The court is just an extension of societies current status and its individuals. This is the general trend... Of course that in a society with morals at an all-time low the justice system cannot do an exception. We have to remember that the judge, the individuals that form the jury and the lawyers are all human. And some of them (laywers) have part of they job description total disregard for morality. It amazes me how someone who takes pride that just saved a rapist or a pedofile from hanging can go home and kiss his wife and kid(s) goodnight. I consider the justice system to be a service... just like the fireman or policemen. The way it works is just a mirror on the terrible state of society, not a cause of its decline.One thing that comes in my mind when I write about the legal system is the movie Law Abiding Citizen. It's one of those rare movies when you take the side of the bad guy. I think the movie (if you have not seen it I highly recommend it anytime) shows very well what the justice system has become. It is no longer a quest to do justice to a particular individual, but to close a case and win a trial. It's not important if justice is served as long as somebody is condemned. Justice is now treated as a commodity, something that can be negociated. When it comes to murder or other offenses of the same kind nothing should be negociated... justice has to be followed to the bitter end.

In my opinion, the legal systems of the world are getting over-run by over-legislation. The governments of the world are adding new laws to the lawbooks year after year. This is needed to keep up with the changing methods and strategies of the criminals and businesses. The problem however seems to be that as the lawbooks swell in size, it is rare that laws are reviewed for relevancy to todays legal needs. A good example of this is a law in the state of Texas that states it is illegal to beat your wife unless it is done on the court house stepps. Obviously this is a very old law and newer more modern laws now say it is illegal anywhere. The problem is that even though newer laws seem to override the old law, the old law was never actually abolished. This leaves confusion and the possibility for leagal manouvering which ties up the legal system and courts even longer. I have no idea if that old law is still valid, but I did read about it only a few years ago.I think that a governmental legal authority needs to be established in each country that monitors the accumulation of laws and cross references them to weed out the duplicate or overlapping laws that tend to offer the lawyers room for manipulation of the courts. I also think that in order to improve the effectivness of the legal systems of the world, our society as a whole needs to re-evaluate the need for a moral code. I regret to say that I almost never meet an individual aged 25 or younger that would have been considered a nice, polite, or moral person back when I was that age. I think that all schools world wide should force all students to take a morallity course every single year of their schooling. It should be graded not by pen and paper tests or assignments, but by the simple observation of the moral/immoral behavior of the students.(compared to a predetermined moral code) It should be a requirement to graduate.Morallity in the past was taught and spread to the public through good parenting and religious beliefs. These days, governments are trying very hard to keep religion seperated from governance. Since religion is one of the biggest and best ways to spread morallity, a new system to spread morallity is needed. And since the religious method for spreading morallity also warned of dire consequences for immorality, whatever new system that is developed must also include some form of punishment or concequence for acting immorally. How this can be accomplished... no idea, but starting the process in our education systems seems a logical starting point.

Edited by NateP (see edit history)