xisto Community
ritu

Sikh Temple Shootout At Winconsin

On Sunday, there was another tragedy of mass shooting within not even a month of the Aurora event. The incident occurred in a Sikh temple or "Gurdwara" at Oak Creek in Winconsin. The police found out about the episode as it started to receive a number of calls from the place late in the morning.The official death toll is 7, and that includes the suspected culprit. He was killed there itself after firing at a senior police official and then a second police officer fired at him. The suspect is reportedly a person in his early forties , he was tall and noticed to have a 9/11 tattoo.

The police took an effort to search the place and recovered some weapons, though details have not been disclosed nor has the details of the identity of the victims have been made public.However, one of the victims was the president of the temple Satwant Kaleka and this was confirmed by his nephew Gurpreet Kaleka.

There were close to 500 hundred people in the temple when the gunman had started to fire, leaving the people in utter chaos and trying to find a place to hide. The police had a suspicion of more than one shooters to be present and also considered the possibility of the people inside to be taken as hostages, which later came out to be untrue.

The incident has raised the concern of President Barack Obama, Republican Party nominee Mitt Romney and the Indian Embassy in the US, The Governor of Wisconsin, is also looking into the matter with the local authorities and the police.

After the September 11 attacks in 2001, many of the Sikhs were targeted out of vengeance as theirs is quite similar to the look of the Afghans. In this case the possibilities of the same vengeance seem to be faint, yet none can be affirmative about that.

May God give strength to the families of the victims.

Source

I am saddened by this event and wish to send out condolences to the victims and their families.Although we do not know the motives for this attack, it can not be for a good reason.There are about 30,000 deaths in the US by gun assaults each year. When will something be done about these tragedies?

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

30,000 deaths! that number is shocking, as I had posted another topic where I wondered about the psychological force that drives these killers and I am still wondering, and they are so normally part of the crowd that none can actually make out that they are planning something so disastrous. Also do I wonder about the mental state of the people in the Us when two such incidents have occurred within a span of one month. Hope less of such incidents occur and people are allowed to live peacefully.