xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shadow skazi

Wallpaper Tutorial [photoshop]

Step One: Find a nice wallpaper on http://www.gamewallpapers.com/ (preferably one without any elaborate design, watermarks are okay) and open it in Photoshop.

Step Two: Grab a grunge brush. You can get them at http://www.photoshopbrushes.com/ . Get Grunge set 1, Grunge set 2, and Cracks.

Step Four: Make a new layer and name it bordertop. Take the rectangular marquee tool and make a rectangle as so...

Posted Image

...and fill with black and don't deselect.

Step Five: Create another new layer, name it border bottom, and drag the selection down to the bottom of the image as so...

...and fill with black.

Step Six: Create a new layer and name it grunge. Make your forground color white and get out a grunge brush. Apply the grunge brush to the black borders. Remember, the secret to grunge brushes is to click once, and never drag.

Step Seven: To delete the white on the actual image, get your magic wand tool and select the border layer. Click the middle between the two borders and switch back to the grunge layer and press delete.

Step Eight: To add color to the grunge, press ctrl+u and hit the colorize checkbox and slide the sliders to match your background. Add a stroke of black, 5-10 pixels to the border as well.

Step Nine: Here's where your creativity comes into play. You might want to grab a couple of characters from the game wallpaper you are using and put them on your wallpaper and add shadows to them. Remember, if the character image looks grainy or pixelated, apply a gaussian blur of .1 pixel radius. If your wallpaper already has characters on them, I wouldn't reccomend adding more.

Step Ten: Add some text to finish it off. Quotes work nice, too. :D

Here is my result... *WARNING: VERY LARGE IMAGE SIZE. DIAL-UPPERS BEWARE*

Posted Image

eww, dial-up...Good turorial for beginners, 8/10, the wallpaper isnt that graphically pleasing, to me anyway, mostly the text and too much white in the borders need some fixing, but that is just my opinion, its good for the tutorial, lol

its not bad.. i like how you put the soldiers in order :D but  i don't like those things at the top and maybe some beter text. :D  7/10

55626[/snapback]

I didn't put those guys in there, they just came with the wallpaper.

Yeah, I guess I chose some bad grunge brushes ;_;

That's a pretty good tutorial. it's pretty self-explanatory. The wallpaper's pretty good, but the only problem is that the background needs some color changes. You could try (instead if brown and white), a brown and black. That would suit it better.

Step One: Find a nice wallpaper on http://www.gamewallpapers.com/ (preferably one without any elaborate design, watermarks are okay) and open it in Photoshop.

Step Two: Grab a grunge brush. You can get them at http://www.photoshopbrushes.com/ . Get Grunge set 1, Grunge set 2, and Cracks.

Step Four: Make a new layer and name it bordertop. Take the rectangular marquee tool and make a rectangle as so...

Posted Image

...and fill with black and don't deselect.

Step Five: Create another new layer, name it border bottom, and drag the selection down to the bottom of the image as so...

...and fill with black.

Step Six: Create a new layer and name it grunge. Make your forground color white and get out a grunge brush. Apply the grunge brush to the black borders. Remember, the secret to grunge brushes is to click once, and never drag.

Step Seven: To delete the white on the actual image, get your magic wand tool and select the border layer. Click the middle between the two borders and switch back to the grunge layer and press delete.

Step Eight: To add color to the grunge, press ctrl+u and hit the colorize checkbox and slide the sliders to match your background. Add a stroke of black, 5-10 pixels to the border as well.

Step Nine: Here's where your creativity comes into play. You might want to grab a couple of characters from the game wallpaper you are using and put them on your wallpaper and add shadows to them. Remember, if the character image looks grainy or pixelated, apply a gaussian blur of .1 pixel radius. If your wallpaper already has characters on them, I wouldn't reccomend adding more.

Step Ten: Add some text to finish it off. Quotes work nice, too. :angry:

Here is my result... *WARNING: VERY LARGE IMAGE SIZE. DIAL-UPPERS BEWARE*

Posted Image

55255[/snapback]

this is a tutorial when you just copy, but i think it is still good as it is pretty self explanatary and very helpful for n0bs. Just need to add more info and this isnt really creating a wallpaper...just plain copying...lol....overal its very good and u just need to improve it a bit.