xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

4 Wheeling

Not sure if this is the right catagory, but it seems to be the closest fit for my topic. We are now officially a two 4 wheeler family. Hubby just did some trading with one of his buddies and got himself one. Or should I say, another one? It's really funny because when he first got the urge to buy one several years ago, I thought he was just a bit crazy. We bought our first 4 wheeler, an Artic Cat, new, and at that time we paid more for it than we normally pay for the cars we drive. I thought it was a really huge expence for what we would get out of it. But then we got it, and I started using it. Oh dear, I had to eat my words. I can't believe how handy that darn thing was! The longer we had it the more I came to depend on it. I use it all the time. I can bungee down a dog crate on the back and bring dogs in to groom from the far end of the kennel and not have to carry the big fat ones and wear myself out. I can use it in the goat pasture to run the electric fence to look for places where it has shorted out and it has a hitch that can be used with a trailer ball hitch or a drop pin hitch, so we can use all of our little garden trailers and the one little 4X8 flat trailer and pull behind it. Just yesterday I moved a whole trailer load of rabbit poo up to the far end of our driveway to fertilize my flower beds and other plantings I have way up there, and believe me it is a lot farther from the barn to the end of our drive way than I would ever want to push a wheelbarrow! Considering it was supposed to be the hubby's, my constant use of it has lead to some conflicts of usage time to say the least. Hence, the second 4 wheeler. It's a 4 wheel drive, unlike our original which is a 2 wheel drive, and is really pretty helpless in the snow. This new one will be great this winter when we have to get wood cut and brought to the house. And of course, now that hubby has his own, I don't have to feel guilty about hogging the original one. I have noticed a reluctance on his part to explain to me how the new one shifts and works in general. It's quite a bit different than the original one. I get the distinct feeling that he doesn't want me to know how to run it. Can't imagine why......... :)

When you mentioned about the four-wheeler, I assumed that you meant you got your second four-wheel drive vehicle in the family. When you mentioned that Arctic Cat, that's when I realized that you were referring to a quad-bike or a four-wheeled all-terrain vehicle. Quad bikes are not street-legal, but if you own a large farm, you can get around with one of those.One of the things that you can do with the Arctic Cat is to get a full cab enclosure to keep yourself out of the rain and snow. Mammoth designs or Mammoth Skins used to sell one of those and you can probably still find one of them online on eBay. Think of it as a soft top except that you get it to go all around, weather proofing your ATV. Perhaps you can stick tints onto the sides to keep the sun away too... all that you are short of is air conditioning :-D

Yea, I probably should of said ATV. Just got in the habit of calling it a 4 wheeler. I still haven't gotten to drive the new one. Worse yet, the hired man got to drive it the other day. Oh well. And one other minor conflict, hubby decided we will keep the ball hitch on on and the drop pin hitch on the other, so we aren't always loosing and having to change out the hitch ball, so since I usually use the garden carts the most, I have the drop pin hitch, and he has the ball hitch, which means if he needs one of the other trailers he still gets "my" 4 wheeler. The cover might be nice, especially since the seat has gone bad and lost nearly all of it's vinal covering on mine, so I have to keep it parked inside in case of rain, or otherwise the seat is like a great big wet sponge to sit on, but it would also take out a lot of the fun of riding it. If I'm all enclosed up, I just as well drive the car around. :)

The advantage I see in driving around an all-terrain vehicle with an enclosure is that you are protected from the elements and you can drive where no car will take you. Perhaps an SUV will, perhaps it won't, but the all-terrain vehicle is built for surfaces that other vehicles cannot go.