xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ananya

Is Professional Grooming Needed Before Joining Politics

We learn & get ourselves certified as engineer degree holders before becoming an engineer.So is true for other professions like doctors, management professionals,fashion designers.But how much it is true for becoming a successful politician? If one answers to this particularly question by citing instances like is Dhirubhai Ambani an IIM graduate? As far as grooming is concerned innate talent is something that helps a person be successful in his/her chosen domain.Also inclination towards a certain field does come from that sensation that we have talent in that particular area.For politics leadership,ability to make yourself intermingle in society i.e to be able to place our self as one amongst many within a particular section of society irrespective of whatever section / class we ourselves belong to and bringing on table the very current issue that is upsetting the lives of common mass and very much determined to find solution to that are some of the qualities needed.But a graduate from a reputed Foreign university in say History won't be able to understand the basic ethics of politics.But this grooming has to be very practical rather than theoritical and also things need to be understood like a successful politician is one who has earned love and respect from the citizens of his/her nation and is successfully dwelling in the hearts of many and not the one who is holding a high profile designation in a particular ministry.

Edited by moderator (see edit history)

Sadly, the vast majority of people put way too much stock into how a person looks rather than what they stand for and how smart they are. You could be the smartest, most caring person in the world with an idea that would solve world hunger disease, and poverty, and if you looked like a bum you'd never get the chance to fix anything.

not really our politicans (not saying which) do not do much grooming they are still useless without all the grooming. some people will vote for people based on looks and not the policies,

Prejudice on the basis of looks is not only dangerous in the context of choosing someone as political leader but rather this basis of maintaining bias towards someone in any front is dangerous. The biggest irony is we select our future leaders on the basis of such a huge number of baseless criteria that voting remains a meaningless exercise to waste a lot of time and money of government like there are people who vote maintaining a family tradition.My parents, my grand parents my great grand parents used to vote to this political party so I am also supposed to vote based on that reasoning. That sounds meaningless.

I think we need to draw a distinction between a university program and a professional certification here.The difference between a professional certification and a university program becomes clear when you think about the software development/information technology programs that universities offer - just because a university offers a Java course does not mean he or she can get Java certified with what he or she has learned in the course. Instead, the university program offers the basics and the student can choose to learn on his/her own to prepare for the certification exams.Having said that, I should mention that in the software development and information technology programs that most universities offer, not all the students would want to get certified in a particular area. However, if there was a program in, say, IT project management, every student would want to get a PMP certification and it would be appropriate for the university to prepare students for the PMP certification exam. Again, this is something that each of the students in the program should want to take up, rather than students in a particular concentration would want to take up, for such a change in the academic program to be worth the investment for the university.

Edited by k_nitin_r (see edit history)