xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
k_nitin_r

Simple Shopping Site Software (In The Making)

Hi!Last month, I spoke to Mr_Dee about starting off a simple shopping site software and after having to put it off because a paper was due and later because I had to work on a paid gig (I've got bills to pay and a family to support too), I finally got about to putting up the foundation stones and getting a simple system that supports Paypal payments. Nothing fancy, but just enough for the average entrepreneur to get started with a web presence.The software is PHP based and runs through a browser. It would be able to run on the Xisto - Web Hosting / Xisto web hosting. It uses the Code Igniter framework and should meet the needs of firms that need to put up a catalog of about a dozen or so products and the ability to accept Paypal payments online for single-product orders. Sure, it does not do most of what commercial software and most open source software out there, but that's what makes this software easier to setup and get started with. Perhaps when the orders start pouring in from the web store, you can get some mods or plugins to have it scale up to more requirements and can even sponsor the development of add-ons for the project.I was wondering if anyone else here on Xisto would like to join in. If you would like to have any features, if you have any code that you would like to contribute, if you would like to test the software, or if you would simply like to use the software for your own web store, post your reply to this thread and we'll see how we can move forward from there.

Sure, it does not do most of what commercial software and most open source software out there, but that's what makes this software easier to setup and get started with.

That is exactly what I like about what i have seen of it so far, the simplicity of the software.

I was wondering if anyone else here on Xisto would like to join in. If you would like to have any features, if you have any code that you would like to contribute, if you would like to test the software, or if you would simply like to use the software for your own web store, post your reply to this thread and we'll see how we can move forward from there.

That is exactly what I am going to do.

I do not particularly need such a script at the moment, however, as I promised k_nitin_r, I am going to upload the script on my website and help him test it.

Projects like this are always worth encouraging, especially since we are talking Open Source her (and hence free).

If you see what some companies charge for commercial shopping cart scripts, I think most of us would look at open source scripts first.

However, it is not only the price that appeals to me, as i said before, the simplicity and user-friendliness of the script is well worth recommending.

So, dear Xisto members, help out and start to test when the script is released, and you will reap the benefits in the end.

I have a demonstration of the software uploaded to a YouTube as a screencast.

I'm working on adding user authentication to the administration panel (used to add/edit/delete/view products) at the moment. Adding authentication before releasing the code is important because just about anyone can add/edit/delete the products on the site if the site doesn't authenticate the administrator. As soon as the authentication is built, folks will be able to install the software to power their web shopping websites.