xisto Community

post-128009-0-65560000-1334743882_thumb.jpgDo you know cats around the world have spoiled so much of the natural ecosystem? For example in New Zealand or Australia, cats have been known to diminish so much of the natural wildlife that the best thing the country has sought to do is shoot them. The shooters then proudly wears the cat’s fur as head gear.I hate cats because, they are unappreciative animals. A dog will never bite the hand that feeds it but you cannot expect the same from a cat. I think the best place for cats are Veitnam, at least there they will be put to good use and the fur can be sent back as nice soft hand bags for the ladies.If you ever have a problem of an unwanted cat at your front door, you can just take a cap of concentrated phenyl and throw it on its face. The cat with immediately run away due the strong smell.As I am not allowed to shoot the cats that tear my garage cover and bike seat, I just give them a nice solid football kick and see them do 2 to 3 amazing cartwheels in the air.P.S: A rifle is the best tool to bring a cat down, that is stuck-up in a tree. :angry: Edited by moderator (see edit history)

Gee, and I thought I wasn't a cat person! You seriously dislike cats don't you?Actually, you are right on one issue in particular, cats are a serious threat to the eco system in some respects. Certainly, we appreciate their ability to control vermin like rats and mice, but they also kill various birds that would help control the insect population and many other benificial animals. They can also be carriers of disease, zoonotic to humans. Ring worm springs to mind. The domestic cat has a considerable advantage over other wild preditors. Wild animals are at the mercy of their enviornment. When their natural food sources are thinned out, they tend to die out from starvation. Pet cats are feed and sheltered by their owners and they are generally fit and healthy and well fed, so they kill basicly for sport. They don't have to rely on catching something to eat so they can mantain the strength and stamina, unlike wild animals that are not so pampered. Even the so called ferral cats have no problem finding some soft hearted human that will feel sorry for them and think that they can tame them and so will put out food in an effort to try to "befriend" the wild cat and make it a pet. So starvation is seldom a problem for domestic cats. Cats reproduce easily, the unspayed ferrel cat population can very easily get out of control, which in turn decimates the song bird population in the problem areas. While shooting them out of trees may not be the solution most people would want to see, there are organizations that actually live trap ferral cats and then have them spayed/neutered, and then release them. At least this will help curb the overpopulation problem, though I am not sure how much it will help, as any cats not traped and fixed can reproduce quickly enough to replace the numbers. I'm sure the cat lovers here are fuming and have smoke rolling from their ears after reading your post. I find it funny how humans have "favorite" animals that somehow are "untouchable" when it comes to any form of use or population control. Pamper and preen the pretty pony, and lets just have a hamburger for lunch. Or scarf down those tuna sandwiches before you to to the local protest of the tuna fisherman who accidentally trap a dollfin in their nets. Humans are supposed to be on the top of the food chain, but honestly, sometimes I wonder about the intelligence of our species.

Thanks, you do have a point there about people who care-less about a few things and give ridiculous attention to other contrary things. In the city of Mumbai too I have noticed an increase in the cat population and the decrease in number of sparrows. I remember I once built a sparrows nest out of a shoe box and kept it above my door but there are no sparrow coming to my place now.

I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor, cats often come up and liter the place and sometimes rummage through garbage boxes that are kept outside. Very often we have male and female cats growling and fighting at night. The people here say that if you kill a cat you need to make a cat out of gold and present it in a temple they also say that when cats growl someone is going to die. I don’t know who gets on my nerves more, these cats or these people.

I never heard the one about somebody was going to die when a cat growled, that's a new one for me. I once had an indian (American indian) friend who went balistic if he ever heard an owl hoot, acording to indian legend, it was a sign that someone was going to die. Isn't it funny how there are so many strange customs around the world? I guess in ancient times cats were sacred in Eygpt, and were worshipped. Then you have sacred cows in India. Dogs however, are frowned upon in many cultures. Pigs are bad news to some and a favorite dinner for others. Pretty strange when you consider all the numerous variations. I can see some cat worship in the event of a plague like the bubonic plague that was spread by rats and mice. I still haven't figured out the one about cows though. They taste too good. :)

i hate cats also i perfer dogs they love their owners and you can walk them and they will sit and watch tv with you,wheres cats they do not care much for people, i remember when i lived with my mum and she used to have about 10 cats [a mother, father and kittens} they would always get in the way so times i felt like strangling them. both the dad and mum are dead, and most of kittens where left behind at my mums former house except two kittens both are dead run down by cars {and no i was not driving} i used to be a dog walker when i was a kid i perfered the company of dogs to human because they never talked back to you, and they keeped you company.

Yea, cats pretty much live in their own world, and maybe they tolerate you enough to share it with you. They of course expect you to feed and water them and supply their ever other need, when they want it. If they aren't in the mood they won't give you the time of day. They just don't interact with humans like a dog does. Dogs seem to live to please their humans. And while dogs may not talk back, they do have a pretty fair vocablulary of different sounds that they can quite efficiently communicate with humans. With my dogs I can tell the somebody's here bark from the come and feed me bark, and the wide range of different things that cause them to bark.

yes if i lived in a dog friendly home i would buy one but it would not be fair to bring a dog into a flat with only a small yard {mainly for bins} i liked having dogs, i don't even though if i am allowed to have a dog i think i am allowed to have one in my lease agreement but if i get any more than one i need the permission of the Housing Executive but it would not be fair having a dog in a small yard where it would not be able to run about.

I like cats , but they don't seem friendly. Maybe they have a cute face but it's not their real emotion , they are reaaaally going to "dump" you when they get food or a partner. Dogs on the other hand pay a lot more attentation and instead of the cute face , they want to follow you , make tricks , find objects etc.They can express their real emotion not by face but by their motion. And the known tail movement of course.