xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nanna

Chicken Balti

IngredientsA whole chicken cut into 8 pieces1 Onion2 Gloves of garlic3 Tomatoes each cut into 8 pieces1 Red pepper1 Green pepper1 Chilli pepper finely chopped2 tbl spoons of flour1 tbl spoon Chilli powder1 tbl spoon Curry powder1 tbl spoon Cumin powder1 tbl spoon Turmeric powder1 tbl spoon Tomatoe Puree2 tbl spoons oil500ml Chicken StockFresh chopped Coriander for garnishingMethod :1. Pour the oil in a wok on a medium heat and fry the onion.2. Coat the chicken with the chilli powder,curry powder,cumin powder and the turmeric powder then place the chicken in the wok and fry on all sides till brown.3. Add the tomatoes the tomatoe puree the chilli pepper the garlic and flour and pour over the chicken stock and stir well.4. Bring to the boil without a lid add the red and green peppers let it simmer on a low heat without a lid for 35 to 40 mins.5. Serve on a bed of basmati rice and garnish with the fresh coriander.Tip : Reason for not using a lid is the condensation that forms on the inside of the lid while cooking would make the sauce to runny.BON APPITITE

Oh, that sounds absolutly yummy! I wonder how it would work on some older tougher birds? Wonder if the cooking time would be long enough to soften them up. I have some older laying hens that are about due for retirenment..........

Your recipe sound to be fantastic, I am just waiting to try its taste. BTW, is the dish an Indian one? I think it originated in Birmingham, but it isn't British, the influences were Pakistani cuisine and from India, Kashmiri Cuisine. A lot of the traditional cooking methods of these areas can be found in the recipe that you put forward. Just a tiny piece of suggestion, as the very name of the dish carries the word "Balti", it was actually so because the dish was served in a typical "Balti-Dish" which is a round -bottomed one.It might not be that important as to how the dish is served, but I guess this simple addition will add more to the essence of the dish. :P