xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
darko100

Democracy

When I first saw the answer to the question - What is democracy? made me laugh: - Democracy is freedom for us to choose dictators.Today again I read the same thing again , but except that I smiled , i felt bad. I felt bad for all people around or not around me who believe in existance of democracy where the nation is the government. Ironical , but very true definition , and we see this practically.Well , for what democracy we fight? For our freedom to choose politician which controls us? And we can't even have that freedom. We don't know democracy. It's absolute freedom to close our eyes and fight. For what? For nothing... I write this , but why? For nothing. I will continue paying taxes and choosing presidents , and i won't know where my money will go. I write on Xisto , to tell people , but i am pretty sure that nothing will happen.It always depends on the position in the society , right? A prime minister or mayor would say that democracy is the best social system and it works pretty well. I would like to see your opinions (not your social position :D :D ) about your life and the democracy in it.

Yeah, even though democracy isn't perfect, but it seems the best what we have Today, but it's a quite philosophical topic, business and politics are all dirty and in capitalism it seems that business is quite in the politics, corruption and monopoly is what is bad, we need more limpidity, more concurrency, less greed. :) UTOPIA? :D

It is not that the success of democracy depends entirely on the efficiency or the functioning of the rulers. There are nations in this world which have taken direct democracy as their form of government. The secret of success with any form of government lies with the co-functioning of the government and the citizens. In countries which have democracy as a successful form of government, the citizens there are not only conscious about their rights,but also have note of their responsibilities towards the nation and its development.Undoubtedly,the beneficial format of democracy has been turned corrupt by a number of politicians and influential goons. Yet, the very form doesn't lose its importance.As dutiful citizens we are supposed to discharge our duties,keeping aside the malpractices on the government's part. Democracy will ultimately emerge as not only a logical,but also a true and effective form of government when the citizens and the government work hand in hand.

Democracy is freedom for us to choose dictators.

Yes, I got a good chuckle out of that one. Does seem to be the way it works doesn't it?

Problems arrise because even though the citizens and the government are supposed to work hand in hand, it never seems to work that way. How many politicians keep the promises they made once they get elected?

How many politicians keep the promises they made once they get elected?

Almost zero! It seems that they talk only on elections, they promise a lot of stuff you know they won't do, particularly they lie and everyone seem to be happy and before elections if they talk something they really want to do, other politicians just say: it's because the elections are coming :D

The very word 'Democracy' sometimes make mockery of the common citizens who opt to vote and select their representatives who assure to cherish every demand of theirs.After every lapse of 5 years this process continues and everytime they desperately try to find someone in the hope of getting what they intended to get from this hefty process.Every year a lot of money is invested on election campaigns and in the end it seems like a giant celebration of our failure to get the right candidate at the right place or actually finding ourselves in a real scarcity of right candidates.So in the end we can well interpret democracy as a pomp and show of our own dilemma.

In our democracy to enjoy democratic rights I think first we have to get elected.... and then its on our hands how to efficiently misuse the government rights and make money in short span of time and if we have luck, we get reelected by our scapegoats (so called citizens) or else the opportunity slips towards the opposite party. Thus it has become a vicious cycle at last.

One thing that I totally agree with is that in my country India, democracy has turned out to be the instrument of increasing revenue and misusing powers by the politicians.But I still maintain that the citizens should themselves be ready to make the country a better place. Imagine a person who has tortured his wife or sister/daughter-in-law for dowry, what sense of judgement would s/he have while electing a leader for the country. The leaders are all incapable, agreed so who is going to bring in the change? I can't say about other countries but in India, a person who is the citizen of India and fulfills certain other conditions can contest in the elections, but what percentage of the youth actually aspires to do so? They are not interested in venturing into this field and bring about a change in the political scenario of the country. Mere complaining about others in power will never provide a solution to the problems of the masses.Moreover, for the success of democracy, the cleansing has to be done from the remotest part of the structure, crimes of the pettiest kind to the ones creating havoc should be checked, the government should gear up the law and order machinery and at the same time the citizens should try refraining from committing them.There should be no tax evasion and people should learn to stay in peace with one another. The form of democracy is undoubtedly going to click that way.